Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:28 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,663,793 times

Advertisements

In Jeff Foxworthy voice:

If you listen to George Noory, you might be a Conspiracy Theorist

Old 09-25-2012, 01:50 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
I got somewhat or totally untrue for everything except 7/7 and UFOs which I got neither. Most likely because I had no clue about the questions relating to either of those.

Some of the questions though were kind of obviously true. E.g. does the government assassinate people, which is obviously true since they have repeatedly admitted to doing it in Yemen and Pakistan.

Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
The most blatantly biased or poorly designed survey that I've come across in a long time. Based upon the way the questions are constructed either one would have to be totally naive, and uniformed to not come off as a believer in conspiracies.

20. Certain world leading political figures who died untimely deaths were in fact "taken out" by government operatives.

Since they don't specify what government and based upon the poisoning of Ukrainian President Viktor Andriyovych Yushchenko how could anyone disagree.

21. Government-funded scientists manipulate evidence in order to support existing government policy.

What does it mean to manipulate evidence? Am I to believe that the funding changes a researchers evidence or that their grant proposal was inline with contemporary government policy. Really!

22. There are ongoing, hidden efforts to marginalise, control or destroy certain groups of people through the use of political policies.

Like all the programs to marginalize, control, or destroy al Qaeda are in the public domain. Seriously!

24. A lot of information about diseases and treatments is withheld from the public.

Yes this is true, recently the government has withheld the results regarding a flu virus that can be easily weaponized. Why, so that someone doesn't weaponize it. Does that make me a believer in some vast government conspiracy. Hardly.

26. A small group of people could not have a significant influence over world events while remaining hidden.

What, like al Qaeda until 9/11?

27. Viruses and/or diseases have been deliberately disseminated to infect certain populations.

Well yeah! The Tuskegee Experiment, the work of Nazi "scientist"

28. New and advanced technology which would harm current industry is being suppressed.

Well yeah, it is a common business practice to buy patents to products that a threat to a core business model, see Apple.

I can go on. My point is that these questions aren't necessarily about conspiracies beliefs "so secret cabal" but that fact that many of these issue are common, obvious and reasonable activities by governments and private industry.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 PM

15,060 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Overall, you believe theories about 9/11 to be somewhat untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about J.F.K. to be somewhat untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about Diana to be definitely untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about 7/7 to be somewhat untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about climate change to be somewhat true.
Overall, you believe theories about UFOs to be definitely untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about AIDS to be definitely untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about vaccines to be somewhat untrue.

I'm not much of a True Believer™, I guess.

The thing about global warming is that there's too much money and too many people involved, and it became way too politicized for there not to be at least some manipulation of the facts and/or data going on. It just isn't possible. Everyone's always looking out for number one, right? So why should I believe that every single scientist, politician and aging hippie is right about every single thing released that supports the AGW theory? Simple. I shouldn't. Thus, there's some meat to the conspiracy theory.
I would say you are actually very much a 'believer". You just predominantly lean toward believing in the "Official Conspiracy Theories" This takes much more faith, if you axe me!

I won't go down the entire list ... but I'll just grab one to illustrate the larger point. JFK. This one is a classic, and I gotta tell you ... those that still believe the Warren Commission Report, and the official story as told, either have their heads buried in sand, or someone has performed a frontal lobotomy on them whilst they were sleeping.

This is the MOTHER of all "conspiracy theories" ... that being the story of three shots fired by Lee Harvey Oswald, and his magic bullet.

Now, space won't allow all of the contradictory evidence to fit here due to the volume of that evidence, but here is a sample ....

Acoustic experts have determined that 95% chance of a shot from the Grassy Knoll, and other evidence shows a minimum of 8, and possible 13 shots were fired, and not 3 from Oswald. The majority of which came from the opposite direction of the Schoolbook Depository ... i.e. the Grassy Knoll ... and several witnesses have testified to shots being fired from that area. Testimony of a bullet hole in the windshield of the limo, entering from the front line of travel exists, as well as bullet damage to the window frame. The visual evidence of JFK being struck in the front right portion of his head, and the documentation of a rear exit wound is undeniable because several witnesses have testified to seeing this wound. Evidence of surgical repair of that area of his head prior to the autopsy exists ... and autopsy that was performed in Washington DC, instead of in Dallas Texas as law would demand. A total abandonment of standard Secret Service procedure is well documented, leading up to, and being crucial to the conduct of the crime. Even visual evidence of Secret Service personnel questioning the bazaar stand down orders just moments before the shooting. Audio testimony of E. Howard Hunt on his deathbed confessing to being privy to the plot to assassinate Kennedy, and his reserve status role as a back up is on tape, and given to his son in his last days of life. The pristine bullet that was found at the hospital that was supposed to have passed through Kennedy, struck Connelly, without the slightest deformation of the bullet has been thoroughly debunked as impossible. The transport of the limo to a ford plant in Detroit to have it's (bullet) damaged windshield replaced, in clear violation of any form of legitimate forensic investigation is documented. International news reports of the arrest of one Lee Harvey Oswald as the prime suspect in the assassination occurred over an hour before his arrest was actually made. And that's just for starters.

Suffice it to say that there was a reason why those files were sealed and not to be made available for 60 plus years .... they wanted to ensure that anyone involved would be long dead before they could ever be questioned or held responsible, and there is still one prime suspect/collaborator still alive today, who was photographed at the scene in Dallas that day, contrary to his claims of being no where near Texas ... a one George H. W. Bush, CIA.

But, nothing to see here folks ... Oswald shot Kennedy ... he was the lone gunman, and then another lone gunman shot him whilst in police custody, prior to being put on trial. Of course, before being shot, Oswald insisted he played no part in the assassination.

The Assassination of JFK - C.I.A Bush Connection - YouTube

Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 PM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I'll just grab one to illustrate the larger point. JFK. This one is a classic, and I gotta tell you ... those that still believe the Warren Commission Report, and the official story as told, either have their heads buried in sand, or someone has performed a frontal lobotomy on them whilst they were sleeping.
You replied to me and chose to single out the ONE item on the list that has nothing to do whatsoever with anything that happened in my lifetime.

Good job, Champ.

I've never looked into that one any further than what's on the surface. I simply don't care. Yeah, yeah, national tragedy and all that, but I have so little time to do much of anything outside of work, and the case has to be made that I should bother with it before I will. That case hasn't been made.

I've been planning for the better part of a year to send a camera to the edge of space. That was supposed to happen this month. It hasn't yet, and will have to be pushed back probably to Spring, because I don't have enough time to do the requisite work. And that's something I want to do. There's no way I'm voluntarily wasting any time on something that I don't want to be doing, and that "mother of all conspiracies" could consume every moment of free time I'm going to have for the rest of my life, due to the fact that it would be physically impossible to prove beyond question what happened that day. No thanks.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:26 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,073,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
You seem to enjoy carrying this around as some badge or honor in these forums, but stating your will believe nothing you hear from the more popular media outlets is even more asinine and blind than people who use if for exclusive source. Its been my experience when you discover the "news" sources of the enlightened non mass media types they are usually with an even obviously with an agenda and less vetting of validity of information.
I enjoy thinking for myself..... listening to mainstream news which has more stories about celebrities at the nightclub than actual news tells me that it is not a credible news source, it is little more than a tabloid

There is no badge, I just detest the misleading of Americans

Old 09-25-2012, 06:28 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,269 times
Seems that I don't believe any conspiracy theories, especially those relating to 'secret societies' and 'aliens'. Maybe I choose to believe that our government, scientists and drug companies are operating in our best interest.....

On the other hand, it would not surprise me to find out that some governments, maybe including the US, are involved in some of the things they ask about. But I figure with the amount of information available to us it would be found out. JMO.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:44 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Is there a test to see if you're an ostrich person?

Old 09-25-2012, 07:18 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Overall, you believe theories about 9/11 to be somewhat untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about J.F.K. to be somewhat untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about Diana to be definitely untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about 7/7 to be somewhat untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about climate change to be somewhat true.
Overall, you believe theories about UFOs to be definitely untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about AIDS to be definitely untrue.
Overall, you believe theories about vaccines to be somewhat untrue.

I'm not much of a True Believer™, I guess.

The thing about global warming is that there's too much money and too many people involved, and it became way too politicized for there not to be at least some manipulation of the facts and/or data going on. It just isn't possible. Everyone's always looking out for number one, right? So why should I believe that every single scientist, politician and aging hippie is right about every single thing released that supports the AGW theory? Simple. I shouldn't. Thus, there's some meat to the conspiracy theory.
I see that you used 2 and 4 more any other numbers like I did. We differ only on climate change where I used 5 enough times to get completely true

I did get tired of answering essentially the same question over and over but it is understandable why they had to do that.

Just think I am constantly called a conspiracy theorist by many leaners here because I go along with Beck too much of the time. I guess I don't wear a tinfoil hat nearly as much as those people think I do.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Once the government told us we were attacked in the Gulf of Tonkin - It was a lie designed to lead us to war.
Once we were told the US doesn't assassinate world leaders yet we in fact were responsible fort he death of the S. Vietnam leader and made many attempts on Castro. I have no doubt they were successful with others we are unaware of.

To question the government draws a label of conspiracy theorist yet in fact their actions are suspect and should be questioned. They have and will lie to us in order to get what they want... memories of WMD's... Clearly the President, Vice President, Secretary of State, and Secretary of Defense lied so they could justify a war a few people wanted. While the intent is unclear it was what happened.

2000 the election of the president was corrupted by a few people that had the power and it was covered up.... Watch the "Queen of Versailles" David Siegal all but admits to getting Bush elected by likely illegal means, Greg Palast uncovered many techniques used to corrupt the election.

There are many events that did have a dubious background yet those that seek the truth are vilified. Since when is the truth a bad thing? Since when do we support those that corrupt government for their own good?
Why are so many of your examples to do with Bush? Don't bother to answer because I think I know. The fact that you want to go along with Palast tells me much.

You sure have worn a tinfoil hat since you had to have it on to understand that election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies