Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times

Advertisements

State is now providing free daycare for folks it appears.

"The school, known as Educare, will open in Brownsville and serve children between 6 weeks and 5 years old, mimicking schools that have been created in 17 other cities. The one envisioned for New York will include a “leadership institute” to carry out research in early childhood education, city officials said."

I wonder if these folks will go on strike demanding 70K a year soon for their teaching skills...........

"At Educare, children are broken into classes by age group, Ms. Alter said. Staffing ratios are also set by age. Children will be exposed to linguistics to foster cognitive development, and their interaction will help build social development. For the youngest children, one of the first things teachers do is to hold them and talk to them while looking into their eyes, said Diana Mendley Rauner, the president of the Ounce of Prevention Fund, an early-learning advocacy organization."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/ny...oods.html?_r=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 11:00 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,008 times
Ok as long as this is not another program funded by ALL taxpayers and only allows for those who make 30k or less to participate.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:05 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,108,168 times
Day care is necessary when one wants to work. Sounds like you'd rather they stay home and collect welfare. Make up your mind.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:06 AM

The article states the Educare programs are funded by private donations in other states. Of course in NY they don't know how they will fund it. Probably start taxing burgers.

"The operational costs of the school have not yet been determined, since the model is still being put into place. But those costs will be covered by existing federal and state grant programs, with another 20 percent streaming in from private donations, Education Department officials said."

They don't know how much it will cost but say it will be funded by existing grants. Well what were those grants for in the first place because this didn't exist so it can't be for this. And what private donations. More nonsense that will fall at the feet of the taxpayers in the end like always and they will cry they need more money in a year or so that much is almost a guarantee.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
. For the youngest children, one of the first things teachers do is to hold them and talk to them while looking into their eyes, said Diana Mendley Rauner, the president of the Ounce of Prevention Fund, an early-learning advocacy organization."
Once more - something parents are supposed to do.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
The article states the Educare programs are funded by private donations in other states. Of course in NY they don't know how they will fund it. Probably start taxing burgers.

"The operational costs of the school have not yet been determined, since the model is still being put into place. But those costs will be covered by existing federal and state grant programs, with another 20 percent streaming in from private donations, Education Department officials said."

They don't know how much it will cost but say it will be funded by existing grants. Well what were those grants for in the first place because this didn't exist so it can't be for this. And what private donations. More nonsense that will fall at the feet of the taxpayers in the end like always and they will cry they need more money in a year or so that much is almost a guarantee.
They know the first year's cost. It isn't cheap.
Quote:
To expand 4,000 prekindergarten seats to full-day seats, from half-day ones, will cost the city $20 million, officials said. The city will devote up to $10 million to setting up Educare, and private foundations will also contribute.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:16 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
in NY kindergarten is OPTIONAL

99% of all school districts DON'T have a Pre-K, except those that are part of headstart (under WELFARE)

and our school taxes...some of the highest in the country

Old 09-25-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Once more - something parents are supposed to do.
Exactly. No wonder some kids have no chance. If they aren't killed before they're born they just get handed off to some strangers every day to stare at their eyes.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Day care is necessary when one wants to work. Sounds like you'd rather they stay home and collect welfare. Make up your mind.
I used daycare with all my kids and didn't stay home and collect welfare. I paid for it myself. You want to pay for somebody elses daycare then you do it. Where the hell were you when my kids were little?? I would have gladly let you pay my weekly bill and twins to boot.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,260 times
Quote:
I used daycare with all my kids and didn't stay home and collect welfare. I paid for it myself. You want to pay for somebody elses daycare then you do it. Where the hell were you when my kids were little?? I would have gladly let you pay my weekly bill and twins to boot.
And what if you can't afford day care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies