Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 12:12 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,449,540 times

Advertisements

HAHA, keep complaining, it's going to be that way in every state eventually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
OK, so I'm a little peeved today. I have lived in S. Dak my entire life, and have had a valid driver's license since the age of 16. Now, my license expires in 2 weeks so today I thought I would go to get it renewed, which we have to do every 5 years here.

I had my current license, a certified copy of my birth certificate, my SS card and bills for my utilities and a statement from my bank all showing my current address. Was that good enough?? NO.

Since S. Dak has put in voter ID laws within the last 5 years, I now have to have a copy of my marriage certificate to prove that I changed to my present name at some point.

Now, since I have been divorce for 16 years and have never had a need for it, I had to pay $15 to put in a request for a new one, and will either have to file for an extension on my current license or hope the state records office can get that to me within 2 weeks.

Thanks for letting me vent. Do your states require this???
I'd venture to say it has to do more with the Patriot Act than voter ID laws. Either way though it is just one more government over reach in "protecting us from the terrorists" thanks to GWB for putting it in place and Obama for upholding it all.

Gary Johnson 2012.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:17 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
I really appreciate your entire response. I should add tho, that the name change proof also applies to adoptions and other name changes that have take place. Just incredible to me that, if the change hasn't taken place in the last, say, 30 years, why that would be a requirement now.

I guess I just recommend that people check their local gov't websites b4 going to renew anything at this point. It is ridiculous. Wish I had done that first, not that it would have saved me $$$, but it would not have required additional running and waiting to stay legal.
I have single friend in CO that had something similiar. Only she had to find her divorce decree, which was long gone, so she had to make a trip to the court house and pay for another one. It does seem like a racket in a way. If she gets married again, she is not changing her name.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:34 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
This sounds pretty bad. After all, it is clear that voter ID laws have nothing to do with reducing voting fraud and everything to do with preventing unpopular groups from voting.

Separating it from the voter ID question, though, what they're doing makes sense.

After all, if I understand your post correctly you're not just asking them to renew your license, you're asking them to issue you a new license bearing a name different from all your previous licenses. Do I have that right? If I do, doesn't it make sense that the document that will serve as identification should be backed up by a paper trail of documents confirming that you are the person entitled to use the name you're using?

Old 09-26-2012, 01:41 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
OK, so I'm a little peeved today. I have lived in S. Dak my entire life, and have had a valid driver's license since the age of 16. Now, my license expires in 2 weeks so today I thought I would go to get it renewed, which we have to do every 5 years here.

I had my current license, a certified copy of my birth certificate, my SS card and bills for my utilities and a statement from my bank all showing my current address. Was that good enough?? NO.

Since S. Dak has put in voter ID laws within the last 5 years, I now have to have a copy of my marriage certificate to prove that I changed to my present name at some point.

Now, since I have been divorce for 16 years and have never had a need for it, I had to pay $15 to put in a request for a new one, and will either have to file for an extension on my current license or hope the state records office can get that to me within 2 weeks.

I never had to give my SSN to get my drivers license in Wisconsin, I just declared a religious exemption.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,734,952 times
Quote:

I posted a similar experience that I had with Indiana's DMV. I've been a licensed driver for more than 40 years. Yet, I made 6 trips total armed with everything except the size and color of my underwear. I was told that because of the Secure ID Act (imagine that while Obama is handing out work permits and DL's to illegal aliens) I had to "link" my maiden name with my married name. Even though I used to work as a criminal investigator for the IRS and brought my check stubs for that and my current govt. job, my married and maiden name SS cards, my birth certificate, my former Indiana DL, my non-expired Illinois license, I had to find my 33 year old divorce decree and order my 35 year old marriage license. All of that while I sat around watching illegal aliens with interpreters taking the drivers test. I'm sure the majority of which had fake American names and ID's. The idiots running the asyulm formerly known as our country has lost their collective minds.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:29 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,564 times
Quote:

This all got started with Real ID. Its a trend toward National ID. The govts make plenty off of selling your information also. You know the info they coerce out of you. Some states are worse than others, but all have gotten bad. FL, for instance wants every doc you own so it can scan it. Talk about a security problem. They already have had inside fraud issues with employees.
This isn't about Voter ID. IMO Voter ID is also part of big govt movement. Nothing to do with D or R. The govt makes money off of you plain and simple. So why not? FL was reported to make 60 something million off of selling that dmv information. That's yearly.
DMV Making Millions off Your Personal Information - First Coast News

More control over you more money off of you. Isn't this what the govt does?
Different states may have organizations combating this. Like this.
http://liberty2010.org/realidblog/

Last edited by CDusr; 09-26-2012 at 02:38 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 03:40 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This sounds pretty bad. After all, it is clear that voter ID laws have nothing to do with reducing voting fraud and everything to do with preventing unpopular groups from voting.

Separating it from the voter ID question, though, what they're doing makes sense.

After all, if I understand your post correctly you're not just asking them to renew your license, you're asking them to issue you a new license bearing a name different from all your previous licenses. Do I have that right? If I do, doesn't it make sense that the document that will serve as identification should be backed up by a paper trail of documents confirming that you are the person entitled to use the name you're using?
No, I am trying to renew my license using the same name I have had for 36 years and already have all my Id in.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:10 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
I really fear for my house burning down one of these days and all my important documents going up in flames so that I can't prove who I am any longer. Yes, I've got a safety deposit box with copies, but what about the key? I don't have neighbors I'd trust THAT much. What if it was something that took out the entire neighborhood or city?

Maybe we should all just get our SS numbers tattooed on us. That's down right American, right?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:14 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,452,784 times
The irony here, as others have mentioned, is that you DO NOT NEED any ID to V O T E! Yes, to vote! How is this possible? I have to have an ID to cash a check, to go thru the security goons at airports but vote? Heck no!

That said, the law re your marriage license in your state is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies