Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I support:
a universal healthcare system. 48 82.76%
a charity based healthcare system. 10 17.24%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 10:07 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I haven't posted in this forum in a while but I couldn't help but to think about Universal Healthcare in America that liberals want vs a charity based healthcare system that conservatives seem to want. I'm a liberal for the most part so I believe in a universal healthcare system only because people are going to have to pay for healthcare one way or another, rather its through insurance or just paying for a hospital bill, I don't see how a increase in taxes would hurt us. The opposite side of this is a charity based healthcare system, how exactly would this work? To me it would seem like only a few patients would be served by it since its based on charity; we both (conservatives and liberals) agree that healthcare cost need to be drastically lowered but who's going to pay for healthcare is a debate. So pretty much I'd like to know how a charity based system would work? I just don't see it working effectively.

SN: I know a charity based system wouldn't be completely charity based.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 06:56 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,349 times
The real choice is between voluntarism and force. Do you want to persuade people or use violence against them?

Old 09-26-2012, 07:10 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
how about a 3rd choice....

its YOUR health, YOUR body, YOUR bill...pay YOUR own gosh darn bill.....no taxes, no charity, no insurance

Old 09-26-2012, 07:58 AM

23,864 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Bogus poll.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,677,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

its YOUR health, YOUR body, YOUR bill...pay YOUR own gosh darn bill.....no taxes, no charity, no insurance
So if a family member or close friend needs assistance in getting medical attention, you're going to tell them, "it's your body, your health, your bill. Pay your gosh darn bill."?

I would want to be your friend.

OP, this is a complex topic. I don't think there is a single solution. Economist, Dean Baker, proposes an international market of medical professionals. Allowing international physicians to practice in the US and enabling Americans access to international physicians would bring down cost. In essence, medical professionals in the US are keeping cost up by not allowing doctors from overseas to be an alternative for customers. Medical lobbyists have been fighting this initiative for years.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/16/news...osts/index.htm

Old 09-26-2012, 08:16 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,894 times
As former military dependent, then actually in the military - I am used to (and appreciate) our universal health care (nearly universal, actually). I find it funny that some in the military are against it when we have it. However, it is expensive but if we scale back the Great American Empire and bring our military back from Japan, South Korea, Germany, England, Italy . . . (they don't need us there and it is expensive for us), then we could afford it. We can still choose our doctors (not unlike our current health care) and enjoy everything that we currently have. I know it can be this way, because it is this way for the military health care. It does work - but we have to cut back somewhere. Medicare/Medicaid and a scaled back military will be needed. But both the Dems and Reps like to demonize their opposition for suggesting that those monies be rerouted to a more efficient system or just isn't needed (just shows that they care about their re-elections more than doing what is best for us).

Old 09-26-2012, 08:21 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
If charity alone worked, there'd be nobody starving. Nobody homeless.

Before government social programs, poverty was worse than it is today by a long shot, especially among children and seniors.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,447,778 times
Quote:

You couldn't even do this if you got into a serious emergency. Pretty much no one can.

Old 05-11-2013, 05:30 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,545,487 times
Quote:

Exactly!

If someone chooses to stuff cheeseburgers and chocolate shakes into their body while smoking and drinking for most of their life why should I be punished?

Old 05-11-2013, 05:57 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
So if a family member or close friend needs assistance in getting medical attention, you're going to tell them, "it's your body, your health, your bill. Pay your gosh darn bill."?
No.

That's what friends and family are for. They help each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies