Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I hit this 60 Minutes quote two days ago in yesterday’s OOTD, but it’s worth revisiting in the form of Glenn Kessler’s fact check at the Washington Post. Kessler misses one of the biggest problems with Barack Obama’s response to Steve Kroft’s question, which was about national debt, and Obama responded by talking about deficits — two different issues, although related. I’ll put the question and the longer answer provided by Kessler together, emphases mine:
KROFT: The national debt has gone up sixty percent in — in the four years that you’ve been in office.
OBAMA: Well, first — first of all, Steve, I think it’s important to understand the context here. When I came into office, I inherited the biggest deficit in our history. And over the last four years, the deficit has gone up, but ninety percent of that is as a consequence of two wars that weren’t paid for, as a consequence of tax cuts that weren’t paid for, a prescription drug plan that was not paid for, and then the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression. Now we took some emergency actions, but that accounts for about 10 percent of this increase in the deficit, and we have actually seen the federal government grow at a slower pace than at any time since Dwight Eisenhower, in fact, substantially lower than the federal government grew under either Ronald Reagan or George Bush.

Link: Obama claim that Bush is 90% responsible for current deficit gets 100% of Pinocchios at WaPo « Hot Air

Cue the Obama cheerleading squad to provide some lame defense in 3....2...1....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 08:43 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
This administration's motto..."It's not my fault"

Old 09-26-2012, 08:51 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,826,300 times

Downgrading Obama: When In Doubt About Debt, Blame Bush, Blame the Rich, and Avoid Responsibility - YouTube

Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
After 4 years without a budget and added many trillions to deficits, still blaming Bush.

If you are hire as a CEO to turn a company around and years past, and the company deeper into the hole, what would you think the board will do?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:57 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,425 times
Obama's supporters make it sound like we were running $1T deficits throughout Bush's term, when in reality it was normally running around the $500B mark. In the last year of Bush's term, the deficit skyrocketed due to the effects of and actions taken by Bush's administration in reaction to the recession.

So they compare Obama's annual spending deficit to Bush's last year where spending was increased to manage the recession and act like Obama's spending is reasonable by comparison. "He increased spending less than any other President" is a lie when you're comparing it to that last year of Bush's Presidency.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:26 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
WTF does this crap end, it is getting sickening, boring, and only too predictible. I have a problem with a man, that cannot accept when he is wrong, no respect for him.

If you can accept credit very willingly, you as a President, should also admit when you are wrong, and please stop making excuses and blaming others, for your own stupidity.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This administration's motto..."It's not my fault"
Who will he have to blame if he gets re-elected? I don't think he has given that any thought up to now.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:31 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Boy, is it good to get to a place where truth and sanity prevail instead of in a thread where the back slapping leaners are in control.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:32 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Can't ever accuse the man of emulating Harry "The Buck Stops Here" Truman, can you? I hate when people in leadership positions want the power but don't take responsibility.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Romney campaign really needs to get on the ball and pound home the points provided by the OP. The debt is a huge issue that people can easily understand. Obama repeatedly confuses debt and deficit (he did it on Letterman too). I don't think he has the first clue on the topic, and he talks about it like somebody briefed him while he was thinking of his next golf game.

He also gets the causes way wrong, in the meme of "unfunded wars" and Bush tax cuts." He does get one thing right--the deficits under his watch were made worse by the recession, which caused a drop in tax revenue. He's flat wrong about everything else. The Iraq war was only about 3% of spending while it lasted, so it's almost negligable as far as the debt is concerned. Obama himself supported Afghanistan from the start, so in effect he jabs himself with that criticism. The Bush tax cuts were rate cuts--overall revenue remained roughly flat under Bush.

C'mon Romney people--how about a Ross Perot-style infomercial? If you would just do this, you would win the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies