Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,165,160 times

Advertisements

Politifact checked the statement by Restore our Future that the real unemployment rate was 19%...the figure was dubbed "mostly false" because the numbers were inaccurate...they were high...but only a little. Politifact looked at the actual unemployment figure in conjunction with those who have all together quit looking for work.

They found the TRUE unemployment rate to be closer to 16%

So...we've spent well over a trillion "priming the pump" to get the economy jump started which hasn't happened. I won't contest that it's stablizied but to be fair Bush started the Keynesian policies that Obama is now credited with...we've passed the healthcare bill which was, per nancy pelosi, supposed to create 400k jobs almost immediately, we've increased the regulatory burden SUBSTANTIALLY with Dodd-Frank...we've subsidized union legacy costs and pensions through this ridiculous auto bailout costing TONS of money (Which Bush ignorantly started yet Obama takes credit for)and the FHA is still very much involved in home lending which essentailly undercuts a private companies competitiveness because it's quite difficult to have the liquid credit of the federal government to compete with....naturally this hurts job growth as well.

THIS is a sign of a positive recovery?

Allow me to lower myself to the level of most liberal thread posters I've seen and supplement my post with a series of emoticons aimed at expressing my angst. : smack:

There...now I feel better.

Follow the link to read the entire article.
PolitiFact | Mitt Romney-aligned group says 'real' unemployment rate is 19 percent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 04:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,557,288 times
U-6 unemployment rates:

Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate

Things are relatively great when a recession begins.
A recession ends when things quit getting worse but it's not the end of pain. Best cases, it's the mid point of pain.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 09-26-2012 at 04:20 PM..

Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
U-6 unemployment rates:

Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate

Things are relatively great when a recession begins.
A recession ends when things quit getting worse but it's not the end of pain. Best cases, it's the mid point of pain.

So what i'm interpreting from that list is Bush had a u6 unemployment rate of 14% at the end of his last term in office and a u6 rate of under 10% through the heart of the recession while Obama and his policies have managed to just creep it under 15% in August of 2012. It looks like it took him almost two calendar years to get it below 17%.

Am I supposed to have a revelation at that?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:52 PM

46,189 posts, read 26,935,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
So what i'm interpreting from that list is Bush had a u6 unemployment rate of 14% at the end of his last term in office and a u6 rate of under 10% through the heart of the recession while Obama and his policies have managed to just creep it under 15% in August of 2012. It looks like it took him almost two calendar years to get it below 17%.

Am I supposed to have a revelation at that?
No, the total people in the Labor Force has dropped tremendously...

Mark Gongloff: Labor Force Participation Rate Lowest In Three Decades, Though Despair Doesn't Explain It All

When you used to have (and these number are figurative) 5,000,000 people who were actively looking for a job and now you only have 2,500,000 looking for a job, you cannot compare the 2.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,813,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, the total people in the Labor Force has dropped tremendously...

Mark Gongloff: Labor Force Participation Rate Lowest In Three Decades, Though Despair Doesn't Explain It All

When you used to have (and these number are figurative) 5,000,000 people who were actively looking for a job and now you only have 2,500,000 looking for a job, you cannot compare the 2.
Facts, Facts, Facts - they make right wingers' heads hurt!! Unemployment is still horrible for many people, but don't expect a Republican Congress or Romney/Ryan to have any fix. As a matter of fact Romney said as much in his now infamous Boca Raton Gaffe - "...I won't need to do anything..."

Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 PM

What would you propose Obama plans to do that he hasn't done already with exception to raise taxes on the wealthy?

So far this is what i've gathered
-Passed Obamacare.....no new jobs...economy not improved. Even WashPost says it is an effective tax on 6 million likely middle class people
-Dodd-Frank...VERY EXPENSIVE REGULATION to comply with concoted from a false narrative of how the recession happened.
-Our corporate tax rate is the 2nd highest in the OECD...i've not heard plans to reduce it.
-Our entitlement program is growing at an unsustainable rate and it WILL get worse with the baby boomers retiring.
-QE ad nausem with Bernanke's endless prime pumping that will likely either benefit only wall street or lead eventually to inflation.

WHY do you support his man? And I want to hear a REAL answer...not just a guised Romney insult.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:03 PM

46,189 posts, read 26,935,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Facts, Facts, Facts - they make right wingers' heads hurt!! Unemployment is still horrible for many people, but don't expect a Republican Congress or Romney/Ryan to have any fix. As a matter of fact Romney said as much in his now infamous Boca Raton Gaffe - "...I won't need to do anything..."
So, you really think you can compare 5,000,000 people looking for jobs or 2,000,000 people looking for jobs and compare that in the same way...

Dang, you must be an "A" student in the Math of lefties.....

Way to go....

BTW, no facts, just basic Math which you have failed....

Old 09-26-2012, 08:07 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,410,637 times
There will be over 700,000 more jobs lost next year when taxmaggdon hits.

Raise taxes on those above 250K and there will be huge job losses and we will go back into a recession. -> Middle class gets screwed.

Continue to play chicken and let the Bush tax cuts expire for everyone -> Middle class gets screwed.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,244,189 times
f o r w a r d

Old 09-26-2012, 08:37 PM

305 posts, read 552,452 times
American needs jobs more that Sandra Fluke needs condoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies