Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:16 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Is a $15 gift card enough to compensate for public humiliation at your local grocery store? According to one Georgia woman, the answer is absolutely not.

Cindy Nerger, 28, who relies on food stamps to feed her family, said she was brought to tears after being embarrassed by a manager at a Kroger store in Warner Robbins, Ga.

Slammed for Using Food Stamps: Ga. Woman Seeks Apology - ABC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 02:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
I think the company should do more than transferring the manager who was so rude.
But, I'm sure, many on this board will praise him for telling it like it is.

But, brushing issues under the rug and transferring people worked for the catholic church for decades (at least).
Maybe they learned their love and compassion from the church.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:30 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
A good example of how we can't throw everybody into a box.

"Nerger said the reason she and her family — she is married with a daughter — must rely on food stamps is because her husband’s carpentry business isn’t profitable enough to support the family.
Meanwhile, Nerger must devote 12 hours every night to a dialysis treatment to combat her kidney disease, which she’s struggled with since the age of 11. She’s been on a kidney transplant list for five years and hopes that someday, after a successful transplant, she can become a working member of society. She would like to attend college to major in child psychology.
“There’s just so much stigmatism put on people on food stamps. They’re just some losers who don’t want to work. That isn’t the case in every situation,” she said."

Old 09-27-2012, 04:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
I liked the last line of the article, too.
She had more compassion for the jerk manager thann one could have reasonably expected.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:05 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,728 times
This story is pretty sad. I see many people using EBT cards at one store I shop at, and it would never occur to me to belittle or ridicule them for that. You never know another person's story. I'm glad she told Kroger's 'no thanks'. She is worthy of more respect and has much more dignity than that manager ever will.

This link from "What would you do" was attached to the story in the OP. Really kind of restores one's faith in people.

A Single Mother Can't Afford Groceries | Video - ABC News

Old 09-27-2012, 05:21 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I think the company should do more than transferring the manager who was so rude.
But, I'm sure, many on this board will praise him for telling it like it is.

But, brushing issues under the rug and transferring people worked for the catholic church for decades (at least).
Maybe they learned their love and compassion from the church.

You cannot be this ignorant? Maybe they learned their love and compassion from the church? It must be sad to be so hateful-what have you done to make this world a better place?

I believe the manager should be fired...he should have calmly explained that certain items cannot be purchased. Since this story has blown up, maybe someome from the Kroger store should apologize to her face to face instead of trying to blow her off by giving her a $15.00 gift card.

very sad-yes I've seen people who use the EBT card ( or try) for beer and lottery tickets..but for many who have fallen on hard times it is their only means of survival.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:24 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
This story is pretty sad. I see many people using EBT cards at one store I shop at, and it would never occur to me to belittle or ridicule them for that. You never know another person's story. I'm glad she told Kroger's 'no thanks'. She is worthy of more respect and has much more dignity than that manager ever will.

This link from "What would you do" was attached to the story in the OP. Really kind of restores one's faith in people.

A Single Mother Can't Afford Groceries | Video - ABC News
That video was very touching....I like that show alot. I was in line one time at the grocery store and an elderly woman came up short and I helped her. It felt good to help her. Would I do it again? Yes.

Food Stamp Abuse is rampant but there are honest people in unfortunate situations who are using Food Stamps. I usually bash the welfare cheaters food stamp users but sometimes people are in situations that we do not understand. I look at each person case by case basis.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:25 AM

305 posts, read 553,423 times
The economic pie is shrinking and people blame one another. Sad but survival. You have to be pretty poor to get food stamps and I certainly do not begrudge them to anyone.

It is the fraud that is problematic. I am not sure how it is done, but there is a lot of fraud out there.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:26 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
And yet, even the woman that was offended makes this comment:

Quote:
“There’s just so much stigmatism put on people on food stamps. They’re just some losers who don’t want to work. That isn’t the case in every situation,” she said.
The manager was a jerk, but it's the massive abuse of the system that brings on these opinions. I wonder what she was buying with food stamps that the cashier questioned it's coverabe with food stamps?

Old 09-27-2012, 06:31 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,382 times
I sympathize with her. Manager should be fired.

Expect more of this if Obama is reelected. Even more people will be on welfare and food stamps. Her husbands business will not be helped under an Obama presidency. I hope she's bright enough to realize that the liberals have her where they want her. Depending on the government to barely survive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies