Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:41 AM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"Her mother, Annmarie Miller, a nursing assistant at a hospital in the Bronx, recalled a cousin’s reaction when she mentioned Rudi’s pick: “You have to be Chinese or Indian to get in there.” A co-worker, also black, “said the exam is built to exclude blacks because it’s heavy on math, and black people can’t do math,” Mrs. Miller said."

Agreed. That's racism right there when even a Black person says Blacks ain't good in math.
From the last part of the OP's article...

Quote:
"These are schools for the brightest students in New York City," he added. "We're saying something wrong if we're saying New York City's brightest students are almost all Chinese or Korean."
Really? He makes that statement AFTER just saying this....

Quote:
"In the Asian community in Queens, from a very young age, you know about Stuyvesant, you know about that test," he said in an interview, adding the city should do more to reach students who may not have parents like his, who started talking about the test with him while he was still a pre-teen.
Doesn't sound like a race thing to me. Sounds like a cultural and parental emphasis on education vs. other activities.

First thing everyone always asks about my kids is what sports they are in. US culture is f*cked up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:43 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The CP part, leaves out the color white.
Actually whites left out the color white when they chose to call blacks colored people. They chose it, not blacks.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
So dumb down the test so more Blacks/Hispanics pass and gain entry.
Now what happens when they cannot keep up in class and are failing ?

Is there no more "cream of the crop" anymore today ? Is this the mantra of "Everyone is a winner" ?
Is this what we have to do to give the appearance that Blacks/Hispanics can cut it at the top ?

It's a shame that we are destroying education because of skin color.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:51 AM

6,940 posts, read 9,674,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Bullsh*t.

We have a local math competition each year and with about 1000 kids showing up I'm hard-pressed to spot one or two black students in attendance each year. The place however is crawling with chinese, indians, pakistani's etc. and demographically whites are greatly under-represented as well.

Why? Because SOMEONE is studying an extra 2+ hours a night instead of participating in sports, playing x-box and so on.

Now if I go to a local basketball clinic, the place is FULL of black and white kids....and the aforementioned group is in VERY short supply.

I never had those expensive test preparation classes and I was a national merit finalist. Then again, I did a lot of out of school reading and study.

Frankly, I bet there are free resources for test preparation and they just aren't attending. My relatives tutor math for low-income kids.

It's US culture, it's sports sports sports sports sports.....and the studiers are called nerds. Oh, and then people cry when they can't compete with the studiers?

Should an indian kid that never played much basketball their whole life cry racism because I couldn't make a highschool basketball team?

Read the NYT article.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:54 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
"Her mother, Annmarie Miller, a nursing assistant at a hospital in the Bronx, recalled a cousin’s reaction when she mentioned Rudi’s pick: “You have to be Chinese or Indian to get in there.†A co-worker, also black, “said the exam is built to exclude blacks because it’s heavy on math, and black people can’t do math,†Mrs. Miller said."

Agreed. That's racism right there when even a Black person says Blacks ain't good in math.
I find that with most non-academic/ghetto types, if they don't see a need for something, they just aren't interested in it. They seem to want to live with a minimal amount of expended effort.

The young black co-worker that I gripe about is like this. He is a slacker at work and was so at the last job he held. And he admits that if he were the son of a wealthy person, he's never want to have a job. He is going to college, majoring in criminal justice. He had to attend a two-hour lecture and complained for days about it. What does get him motivated at work is if he wants to impress a young pretty female co-worker. He also is anxious to buy the new iPhone and boasts about his unlimited data plan.

But definitely, he's not going to study any academic subject like math, unless he really has to. On the other hand, my white bf and myself (Asian) love to learn new subjects just for the sake of knowing more.

I did really well on my SATs and such because I love to read, so I know a lot of big words and math is just logic... but my parents never hired any tutors to help me. And my parents were workaholics because of their business (which btw they built all on their own), so actually all through middle school and high school, my sisters and I were on our own in terms of staying out of trouble and doing well in school. Because of my parents' morals and obvious wishes, we knew that we needed to do well in school and we did because we didn't want to disappoint them. It was always clear to us that our "job" as their children was to excel in school and make it into good colleges. And I ended up going to Brown University... all without the help of any tutoring.

We need to force the bad parents to become good parents. And if their children don't do well in school, then the parents need to be held accountable. And I don't see why my tax money needs to go towards schooling the children of bad parents. Did I ask them to make babies? No. No I did not.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:03 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I find that with most non-academic/ghetto types, if they don't see a need for something, they just aren't interested in it. They seem to want to live with a minimal amount of expended effort.
I am starting to find this true of people of multiple backgrounds.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
For once I'd like to see the NAACP go after their own people to find out WHY they don't do well on tests.
Don't dumb down the tests, educate the people instead.

I'm at a middle school that has after school sports and after school academics.
90% of the students that show up for the academics (homework help and subject help) are White.
90% of the students that show up for sports are Black.

Why ? Why doesn't the NAACP try to change that thinking..that academics isn't important ?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
If I were the judge being presented with this complaint, I would point out that Stuyvesant High and Bronx Science must be doing something right with their testing if "stellar alumni including several Nobel laureates, famed actors and musicians, and U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder" are being produced by these elite schools. Why dumb down the student body? Why introduce poorer quality students, and ones that may not have their heart set on academic achievement?

When I was in high school, we had several METCO program black city students bussed from Boston into my suburban school. Most of those students were mean nasty kids. The METCO girls would bully the fat white girls in gym class. None of those students added anything positive to the classes they attended. None went on to any great colleges although a good number of my friends got into Ivy League and top colleges. And several years ago, while at a 25 class reunion, we had just one of the METCO guys attending. When asked what happened to his fellow METCO classmates, he said simply to forget them, that they were just trash (people). The METCO program was a big waste of money at my school. And I'd say that my town was full of liberals, former hippies and very nice non-snobbish people back in the '70's.

Quote:
The NAACP said in its complaint that the test had never been shown to predict reliably a student's academic potential, and breached the Civil Rights Act by having an "unjustified, racially disparate impact."

Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Obviously, you guys don't know about these tests.

There is a lucrative business in test preparation. Kids in low income families can't afford the tutoring the kids in high income families take advantage of.

It's not a case of "working harder".

Of course, lower test scores for blacks and hispanics also are the rule in tests few pay tutors to study for. It is a case of working harder.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There are many churches, charities and non-profits, that do tutoring, for free to those that seek it.

It is a case of working harder, if you are not born with a silver spoon in your mouth.
Name one, and supply a credible link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies