Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,310 times

Advertisements

I can't think of one for the life of me.

I don't see a centrist out there and if one did arise, there's no way they could appeal to the far right or left elements, as polarized and bitter as the country seems to be these days.

Does anyone come to mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 07:37 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
One person can't unite a country. Citizens must desire to be united.

There needs to be more than just unity. A street gang is united - doesn't mean that it's a good thing.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
One person can't unite a country. Citizens must desire to be united.

There needs to be more than just unity. A street gang is united - doesn't mean that it's a good thing.
I don't mean united in a totalitarianism type of way. I didn't phrase my question correctly, I blame lack of sleep and too much working. How about:

Is there any way that the country can be brought back from the extremes of ideology and bitter division we see now?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:51 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
If there is, it's unlikely either party would nominate him/her for POTUS.

I don't believe either party wants unity, today's 'us vs. them' atmosphere keeps people from sitting back and seeing what a lousy job both parties have been doing for quite some time.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
That's the sad conclusion I came to as well.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post

I don't believe either party wants unity, today's 'us vs. them' atmosphere keeps people from sitting back and seeing what a lousy job both parties have been doing for quite some time.
Do you want the country to be unified?

Old 09-27-2012, 07:57 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I can't think of one for the life of me.

I don't see a centrist out there and if one did arise, there's no way they could appeal to the far right or left elements, as polarized and bitter as the country seems to be these days.

Does anyone come to mind?
Too oldies, richard lugar or tommy thompson

Quote:
During the August recess of 2005, Lugar and freshman Senator Barack Obama visited Russia, Azerbaijan, and Ukraine to inspect nuclear facilities there.[20] He was detained for three hours at an airport in the city of Perm, near the Ural Mountains, where they were scheduled to depart for a meeting with the President and the Speaker of the House of Ukraine. He was released after a brief dialogue between U.S. and Russian officials, and the Russians later apologized for this incident. In January 2007, President Bush signed into law the Lugar-Obama Proliferation and Threat Reduction Initiative which was furthering Lugar's work with Senator Nunn in deactivating weapons in the former Soviet Union. The Lugar-Obama program focuses on terrorists and their use of multiple types of weapons

Old 09-27-2012, 07:58 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Do you want the country to be unified?
Doesn't everyone?

As long as that unity was in their own personal image?

I'd at least like to feel our elected government had the country's interests as its #1 priority which no longer seems the case on either side of the aisle.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:02 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Too oldies, richard lugar or tommy thompson
Any relations to Lex?

Old 09-27-2012, 08:19 AM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,144 times
Obama IS a true centrist. . . .you critisize him for implementing conservative ideas, you hate him for finding workable compromise, and vow to block anything that he would support. . . . under those circumstances, NO ONE would be able to do better than he has done to move our country forward. COMPROMISE is the essence of our political system!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies