Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 PM

27,142 posts, read 15,313,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I would go with a 2013 VW Beetle TDI (diesel) for $24K.
Gets 40mpg hwy and 32mpg city.

With the body now 6" longer these also look better;

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 10:30 PM

808 posts, read 1,678,839 times
VW bugs will always and forever be a chick car.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,886,908 times
Friend of mine worked in the parts department for Honda and later Volkswagon. Said he kept a lot busier at Volkswagon, recommended you buy a Honda.

If money is what you are trying to save it is hard to beat the Honda Fit.

Old 11-11-2012, 10:29 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Default How electric cars work---

Old 11-11-2012, 11:08 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
I know two people who leased one recently. Honestly, they're a hell of a deal at the current lease prices and everyone should be driving one for no money down and just $159 for 24 months. It's a great deal.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:18 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
No to the Volt, but I would buy a Tesla. They have provided a car with the range I need where the Volt hasn't.

There is indeed a place for electric cars, LPG powered cars, hydrogen power and more. Oil burnign cars need to become a thing of the past and we need to usher in new technology to make it so.

Can you imagine people clinging to the original computer technology like they cling to gas powered engines?

we would still be looking at 2 Gig hard drives as being huge....

story - Once upon a time I worked for Gateway computers, back when they were actually made in the US and they hired people in this country. I waited until we came out with some cutting edge technology and bought my "monster" system . It had a massive 2 gig hard drive and speed slower than my phone...like 1/20'th slower.

we like new advances and should seek them out

Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,858,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Problem with electric cars is, just like with hybrids, battery technology has barely made advances in recent decades. The battery is the problem, not the car itself. Unfortunately, we can't seem to find battery techinology that can hold a substantial amount of charge without becoming a mini hydrogen bomb.

Diesel cars in Europe get a range of 50-60mpg. That's as much as, or more, than a gasoline hybrid. No battery mess to deal with, plus batteries lose their charge overtime as well.

btw the European Prius gets over 70 mpg... there really are better choices... of course you must wonder why Europe gets so much better mileage.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:23 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Looks like Obama has another loser notch on his belt. The Chevy Volt the overpriced car that is a failure.

‘Record’ Volt Sales?Â* Not Really -- GM Counts $159 Leases for an $89,000 Car | NewsBusters.org
Newsbusters?
2013 Volt reviews.

2013 Chevrolet Volt Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars

If pablo (me) had the dinero, I'd buy one.
How electric cars work:

Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 AM

990 posts, read 939,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The average age of a typuical car in the USA stands at 10.8 years, so this assertion that ther average US automobile owner doesn't keep his or her car for over 10 years and 100,000 miles is total BS.

Nice try.

The Volt is simply too expensive and doesn't nearly justify such an absurd price; one can do SUBSTANTIALLY better for $34K or $42K, rebate or no rebate.
Do you understand what an average is?
When you have an average of 10.8, that means that many cars are a lot younger than that. And the average age of cars is an idiotic stat to quote because that is mainly based on the cars which people buy used, not new. Most people who purchase new cars (there are 15,000,000 new cars purchased in the US annually) don't plan on keeping them for decades, they trade them in after 3-6 years and get another new car.

I'm not saying that the Volt is a perfect car...after all, it's made by Chevy...but if you live an urban or suburban lifestyle, it's a great car to get, especially in a place with lots of traffic where you're in stop-and-go mode all the time. Plus, the more people we get on electric cars, the less we need to use gasoline as a country. With lower gasoline consumption comes lower gas prices as the laws of supply & demand come into play.

I simply don't get the anti-Electric crowd. Why do you people wish to stifle progress and remain in the stone age? The internal combustion engine has been obsolete for decades, get over it!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
No to the Volt, but I would buy a Tesla. They have provided a car with the range I need where the Volt hasn't.

There is indeed a place for electric cars, LPG powered cars, hydrogen power and more. Oil burnign cars need to become a thing of the past and we need to usher in new technology to make it so.

Can you imagine people clinging to the original computer technology like they cling to gas powered engines?

we would still be looking at 2 Gig hard drives as being huge....

story - Once upon a time I worked for Gateway computers, back when they were actually made in the US and they hired people in this country. I waited until we came out with some cutting edge technology and bought my "monster" system . It had a massive 2 gig hard drive and speed slower than my phone...like 1/20'th slower.

we like new advances and should seek them out
Agreed.
It is so odd to me that people seem to want no technological advancement when it comes to cars.

What is up with that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies