Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,017,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I grew up in Brooklyn and once I had a job it was in Manhattan, took the F train twice a day to and from.

A total of 16 miles round trip, travel time? 90 minutes jam packed like sardines in the subway car, and it was fun fun fun when the train didn't have AC... Ever smell 100 New Yorkers packed together in 90 degree temperatures? Ever stand out on an elevated subway station in 4 degree weather waiting for the train which is held up because the doors are frozen open?

Better yet, taking a packed bus in Manhattan and being stuck in one of the infamous traffic jams?

Where I am now it's almost 30 miles round trip to work, travel time rush hour traffic? 30 - 40 minutes and I sit comfortably in an air conditioned car listening to tunes and enjoying my coffee or a soda.....

You can take public transportation and put it where the sun don't shine....
The MTA was indeed a crappy system in the 70s and 80s, largely because it was broke and hasn't really been improved on since the 1930s. I've been stuck on the 7 train in Queens with no air conditioning and it's not fun. Though the system is light years ahead of how it was in the 80s. But still, New York would be utterly unable to function without the system.

If you've been on a system that has truly been invested in - Montreal or even DC better yet one of the European systems - it's a really good experience on the whole.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
So you're saying there's no connection between spending two hours in a car each day and eight hours at a desk and obesity. That's an average American's life today. Compare that with 80 years ago when the average American walked a short mile to work and back and likely worked a physically demanding job. Sure, nothing to see here. No connection at all between that and weight. People today are just lazier.
So they are driving an hour to work. What would that be? 3 hours by bike? 6 hours a day commuting and 8 hours at work is 14 hours. Where is the time for family?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
So they are driving an hour to work. What would that be? 3 hours by bike? 6 hours a day commuting and 8 hours at work is 14 hours. Where is the time for family?
Those long commute times are a function of the way we've developed to be car dependent. Restrictive zoning laws, lack of transit, etc., all contribute to that. If you work 30 miles from where you live, and there's no transit, you're stuck with driving. But we should really be looking at why people are being forced or choosing to live so far from work and how we can incentivize people to live closer to their jobs or, failing that, making transit a more efficient option.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Those long commute times are a function of the way we've developed to be car dependent. Restrictive zoning laws, lack of transit, etc., all contribute to that. If you work 30 miles from where you live, and there's no transit, you're stuck with driving. But we should really be looking at why people are being forced or choosing to live so far from work and how we can incentivize people to live closer to their jobs or, failing that, making transit a more efficient option.
I noted why I live a half hour drive from work. My wife works three blocks from home and can walk to work. What would you suggest I change?

Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,516 times
This car centric culture is indeed illogical, unhealthy and unsustainable. I remember when I used to live in Minneapolis and commuted by car- It would take about one hour each way in traffic. Minneapolis today is one of the most pedestrian/ bicycle friendly cities in the USA- definitely a progressive city!

I am not sure if most Americans understand that oil will run out in less than 80 years according to projections- If we don't start coming up with solutions now- I wonder what the gas addicted people will do when this whole suburban, car- centric lifestyle collapses- it is not even a matter of If, it is more like How soon?

People who say I don't care are stupid because this is going to affect their grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
This car centric culture is indeed illogical, unhealthy and unsustainable. I remember when I used to live in Minneapolis and commuted by car- It would take about one hour each way in traffic. Minneapolis today is one of the most pedestrian/ bicycle friendly cities in the USA- definitely a progressive city!

I am not sure if most Americans understand that oil will run out in less than 80 years according to projections- If we don't start coming up with solutions now- I wonder what the gas addicted people will do when this whole suburban, car- centric lifestyle collapses- it is not even a matter of If, it is more like How soon?

People who say I don't care are stupid because this is going to affect their grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
We will come up with new ideas but it will not be one where everyone returns to walking or riding a bike.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I noted why I live a half hour drive from work. My wife works three blocks from home and can walk to work. What would you suggest I change?
Nothing. I think it's admirable and probably increases your quality of life to have one of you be able to walk to work. My wife and I had a similar arrangement until I was able to transfer closer to home. You're probably the exception to the rule though as many families have two people driving two cars long distances to work. I'm not blaming those people; I'm blaming the policies we've set up that have allowed development to get so far flung and have made people think that long commutes and car dependence are "natural" or the only way.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
We will come up with new ideas but it will not be one where everyone returns to walking or riding a bike.
No. Not everyone. But a good number of people will choose to return to that for their daily needs. 30 years ago, downtown, old town Charlotte was not a nice place to be after 5 p.m. The city and the banks invested in making it a nice place with grocery stores and restaurants and a big police precense, and now the demand for apartments and townhomes within walking distance of major employers is incredible. A lot of those people still maintain cars for emergencies and out of town trips, but maybe one per family, and they don't drive them everyday. There is definitely a demand for that kind of lifestyle..

30 years ago, folks like that felt that they had to live in the suburbs and commute by car, now that a walking lifestyle is available, they're choosing to live it. ... Again, not for everyone, but for those who want it, why aren't we working to provide it?

Old 10-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Nothing. I think it's admirable and probably increases your quality of life to have one of you be able to walk to work. My wife and I had a similar arrangement until I was able to transfer closer to home. You're probably the exception to the rule though as many families have two people driving two cars long distances to work. I'm not blaming those people; I'm blaming the policies we've set up that have allowed development to get so far flung and have made people think that long commutes and car dependence are "natural" or the only way.
Most people did not move out of the cities to acquire long travel times. Many moved to get away from high crime areas. To their credit, many large cities have done a lot of work to address this and people are moving back into the cities.

The people living in these cities do not want many of the manufacturing plants in the city where people could walk to them.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
No. Not everyone. But a good number of people will choose to return to that for their daily needs. 30 years ago, downtown, old town Charlotte was not a nice place to be after 5 p.m. The city and the banks invested in making it a nice place with grocery stores and restaurants and a big police precense, and now the demand for apartments and townhomes within walking distance of major employers is incredible. A lot of those people still maintain cars for emergencies and out of town trips, but maybe one per family, and they don't drive them everyday. There is definitely a demand for that kind of lifestyle..

30 years ago, folks like that felt that they had to live in the suburbs and commute by car, now that a walking lifestyle is available, they're choosing to live it. ... Again, not for everyone, but for those who want it, why aren't we working to provide it?
And that is great. I like that cities are trying to make them a more liveable place for people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.