Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 12:34 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
Supposedly the newest generation of young drivers just doesn't have that love of a big muscle car anymore. Or the love of the road. I'm not a new driver, but I'm on the border of GenX/Gen Y. I lost my love of driving somewhere between the daily traffic nightmares and carmageddons of this world.
There is no study or research to confirm your statement. There are studies up the ying-yang and they are all over the place depending on which organization funded the study....

Quote:
I watched that video of the Shelby Cobra going from 0-100mph that somebody posted on the 1st or 2nd page and all I thought was "that's scary", it didn't evoke any emotions or nostalgia in me. I liked the look of the dashboard though.
So because you are scared of something as simple as 0-100 that means what for the rest of society?

I guess it's OK because others here are deathly afraid of going over 55 and think their vehicle will self-destruct and fall apart once that suicidal speed is achieved...

Quote:
The Big 3 are worried because their future customers want public transportation and walk-ability in their cities. Which means that the government subsidized building of infrastructure for their products will wan and then their products will wan. It already is. It's the progression to the future, it's inevitable.
Dream on.... Cities of the future will be populated by hipsters, gangstas and welfare recipients ..... Everyone else will have moved out to greener pastures...

Anyone else notice these bicycle/walking people always end with......

Quote:
it's inevitable

Last edited by plwhit; 10-02-2012 at 12:42 PM..

Old 10-02-2012, 12:37 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Minneapolis today is one of the most pedestrian/ bicycle friendly cities in the USA
Yes, sure looks bicycle friendly to me! I'm going to move there! I can't wait to be this guy:

Old 10-02-2012, 12:41 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
What an enjoyable bicycle ride to work.......

Old 10-02-2012, 12:44 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This wins the "dumbest post of the day" contest.
How so? You don't think demand for cars exploded after infrastructure was put in place to provide for it?

Old 10-02-2012, 12:46 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Those long commute times are a function of the way we've developed to be car dependent. Restrictive zoning laws, lack of transit, etc., all contribute to that. If you work 30 miles from where you live, and there's no transit, you're stuck with driving. But we should really be looking at why people are being forced or choosing to live so far from work and how we can incentivize people to live closer to their jobs or, failing that, making transit a more efficient option.
I think you are not quite understanding that the reason we live far from work is because we wanted the FREEDOM to live wherever we choose to. Cars gave us freedom from having to live in over populated dirty cities and we could move out to the country or suburbs without being isolated from culture and conveniences of the city. The car gave us the ability to expand and grow without having to take all the bad stuff from the big cities with us. Now you (the proverbial you) are trying to force us all into the tight quarters of the big cities again by saying we need to use mass transit, walking or biking places. NO THANK YOU!

Not only do cars give us the ability to live in places BESIDES big over crowded cities and still work where they jobs are, but we can also then choose areas that are best for our families, have lower housing costs, and are just plain prettier, without having to sacrifice our job/financial standings.

The jobs are in the big cities, but not everyone wants to live in them. Some people prefer to commute longer distances to live in a better area!

BTW, Freedom is not having more options, but not being told which options you can choose!

Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
How so? You don't think demand for cars exploded after infrastructure was put in place to provide for it?
Not for the reasons you think.

If your logic were... logical, then I could manufacture any widget I could dream up, and by your estimates, I'd be rolling in dough as long as I made enough of them.

People like you were around during the early consumerism phase of the Internet. They and their "if you build it, they will come" attitude were responsible for the creation and subsequent collapse of the Internet bubble.

There's a bike lane on a major highway less than 100 feet from my house. I've never used it. The only people on my block that have are all kids.

Like I said, dumbest post of the day. Sorry.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:52 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
It's not so bad. I used to live in West L.A. and commuted to Sherman Oaks every day. Traffic nearly disappears if you ride a motorcycle, and there are alternate routes you can take that reduces the drive time significantly if you're in a car.

Building a subway through those mountains will never happen. It's not like the basin, where the earth is much softer - you're talking about punching a hole through ten miles of granite. I could see light rail maybe, but you'll never see a subway there.
10 miles of Granite is nothing , they have Machines that can chew through that in 2-3 years... Softer Earth is actually harder to tunnel through and in Earthquake country it can be dangerous...

Old 10-02-2012, 12:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
This wins the "dumbest post of the day" contest.
I noted that we ride as a family (for recreation) because of a local bike lane. I would not have rode with my daughter tagging along without it.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I noted that we ride as a family (for recreation) because of a local bike lane. I would not have rode with my daughter tagging along without it.
His implication was that droves of people would park their cars for good if we basically just painted a few lines on the street with cute little bicycle logos next to them. It was a remarkably dumb thing to say.

I didn't say (nor would I) that bike lanes are a bad idea, or that they shouldn't be defined. My comment was specifically about his attitude that simply putting them there will have any measurable impact on the number of people commuting by car. It won't. It really was the dumbest thing I've read today - this week, actually...

Old 10-02-2012, 12:57 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Not for the reasons you think.

If your logic were... logical, then I could manufacture any widget I could dream up, and by your estimates, I'd be rolling in dough as long as I made enough of them.

People like you were around during the early consumerism phase of the Internet. They and their "if you build it, they will come" attitude were responsible for the creation and subsequent collapse of the Internet bubble.

There's a bike lane on a major highway less than 100 feet from my house. I've never used it. The only people on my block that have are all kids.

Like I said, dumbest post of the day. Sorry.
Ah. So it's still getting use. There was some demand for it. It's a matter of properly aligning building that infrastructure where the demand is. That's not comparable to the kind of recklessness that led to the dot com bust.

On the other hand there are greenways here in Charlotte that have recently been built and are PACKED on nice days. Lots of people commute to the university on them.

How many roads carry few cars? There are several of them here in eastern NC. There's even talk of shutting down an interstate in the midwest because of too little use.

I'm sorry you think basic economics is dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies