Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 09:38 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
According to the Detroit Free Press, an actual newspaper not an opinion piece which is what the OP linked to, the protest was about "the movie". Not specifically the First Amendment. Slight difference there.

Here's a quote from the protest organizer:

Put together in response to the film “Innocence of Muslims,” rally organizer Tarek Baydoun said:

“We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to sow the seeds of hate and discord against the religious beliefs of others.”

“There is a need for deterrent legal measures against those individuals or groups that want to damage relations between people, spread hate and incite violence.”

Pretty much sounds like he's wanting to put a limit (or abolish) free speech to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2012, 09:39 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Dearborn Muslims rally against the First Amendment

Led by a newspaper publisher, Muslim activists will call for putting limits on American free speech at a Dearborn rally this evening. You can't make this stuff up.

Nearly a decade after Dearborn's streets celebrated America for bringing down Saddam Hussein and opening a door to democracy in the Mideast, the same city will be the epicenter today of calls to squelch free speech. Protesting the film, "Innocence of Muslims," that has sparked protests in the Mideast, rally organizer Tarek Baydoun says that so-called blasphemy laws are necessary to prevent speech that hurts the "the religious feelings of Muslims."

This assault on the First Amendment in the name of the prophet Mohammed is a sad day in America - and confirms fears that Muslim-American activists do not understand the fundamental separation of church and state in the American Constitution.

"There is a need for deterrent legal measures against those individuals or groups that want to damage relations between people, spread hate and incite violence," said Arab-American News publisher Osama Siblani, a self-proclaimed "moderate" who is apparently oblivious to how gutting the First Amendment would affect his own business.

Liberals will love it. They hate the First Amendment as well.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:41 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,004,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Liberals will love it. They hate the First Amendment as well.
Yawn - in what bizzaro world?

Old 09-29-2012, 09:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
So the Detroit News isn't an "actual newspaper"????
The link was to the "Michigan View" (not the Detroit News) which calls itself "your political commentary hot spot". Political commentary and a news article are two different animals.

They protested a specific movie. Not a specific amendment to the Constitution. I kind of like accuracy. I guess that's just me. The quote in your later link said they were protesting what they called an abuse of the first amendment. That's the gray area. But they are not calling for an end to the First Amendment. Because, obviously, they're smart enough to us it in their favor.

The protests against anit-Christian/Jewish art center around the abuse of the First Amendment as well.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:46 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,963,815 times
Probably rejects from here
Conscience of a Conservative: Muslim terrorist training camp in New York is quiet. Where did all the terrorists go?

This place is now abandoned and needs to be cleaned up.

Referance to 35 more terror training camps inside the USA (Data posted last January)
35 terror training camps now operating inside U.S.

(list of some more places inside the USA dated from January 2011)

Trout Creek Pass, Colorado (over 100 acres)
- Red House Virginia (over 120 Acres)
- Mecca Circle, Wayne County, GA
- Islamber, NY (considered their headquarters)
- Holy Islamville, SC (another huge compound and extremely active)
- Baladullah, CA (Huge and also extremely active)
- A new one PA (Wayne County)
- Fairfax, VA
- York, SC
- Hancock, NY
- Deposit, NY
- Springfield, MA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Hyattsville, MD
- Bethany, WV
- Meherrin, VA
- Dover, TN
- Commerce, GA
- Jessup, GA
- Marion, AL
- Talhina, OK
- Houston, TX
- Coldwater, MI
- Buena Vista, CO
- Oak Hill, CA
- Onalska, WA
Muslim Brotherhood’s Terror Training Camps Inside The USA. | Political Vel Craft

It's time the rest of these losers pack up their bomb, err bags and go home

Quote:

Put together in response to the film “Innocence of Muslims,” rally organizer Tarek Baydoun said:

“We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to sow the seeds of hate and discord against the religious beliefs of others.”

“There is a need for deterrent legal measures against those individuals or groups that want to damage relations between people, spread hate and incite violence.”

Pretty much sounds like he's wanting to put a limit (or abolish) free speech to me!
Sounds like it to me as well.

First, we make it illegal to "insult" people's religious beliefs. Then we make it illegal to criticize their religious beliefs. Next, we extend these "protections" to political belief - and there you go. Free speech is gone.

Fortunately, people who hold such viewpoints are the minority - although I have read comments by quite few people from other religions who want to put the kibosh on any and all criticism of their particular religion.

We are still striving to be a free country - and that includes free speech, no matter how incendiary it may be to another person/group and his/her/their beliefs. Let's keep it that way.

You have the right to criticize me, and I have the right to criticize you - and that's the way I like it.

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
The liberal left has secularized America to the point where Christians and Jews can not stand up and protest the religious protesters...I would be nice if Christians could stand up and say to the irritated Muslims..."This is a Christian nation..you are our guests- behave yourself." But no- Muslims have religious rights- and America in general has none- cos' they dumped their religion and their heritage.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:

Free speech means you support speech even when you disagree with it. They most certainly have the right to protest the movie if they wish. That would be an exercise in their free speech rights.

To me the statement they made damaged my relationship with those who believe we should curtail free speech but I doubt they can understand that.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:51 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The link was to the "Michigan View" (not the Detroit News) which calls itself "your political commentary hot spot". Political commentary and a news article are two different animals.

The link was to an article that appeared in the Detroit News and was cross-posted there. It says so right at the top that the author is an employee of the Detroit News.

Yes, it was an opinion piece, but people link to New York Times and Washington Post opinion pieces all the time.

From the quotes of the protest organizer, it's pretty obvious that the protest used the film as an excuse to push for limits on our freedom of speech.

Old 09-29-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The liberal left has secularized America to the point where Christians and Jews can not stand up and protest the religious protesters...I would be nice if Christians could stand up and say to the irritated Muslims..."This is a Christian nation..you are our guests- behave yourself." But no- Muslims have religious rights- and America in general has none- cos' they dumped their religion and their heritage.
Geez, you live in a distorted world, don't you?

Where is it illegal for Christians and Jews to protest "religious protestors?" (Whatever that may mean.)

Where is it illegal for them to stand up and say anything to the "irritated Muslims?"

How is the US a "Christian nation?" Its principles are based on the Judeo-Christian tradition but that hardly makes it a theocracy, now does it?

What rights do Muslims have that you or I don't have?

See, you are no different than these idiot muslims who demand to curtail free speech. You are actually ALL for it IF the religion or viewpoint in question diverts from your own. That's why you would just LOVE it if the US was a Christian theocracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies