Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 08:36 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Christianity is stupid, brutish and ignorant but it won't be illegal. All the weird fringe religions are legal like Scientology, LDS, Judaism and Islam. How can Christianity be banned without alienating a huge part of the electorate?
I agree with your premise but Judaism and Islam, at least, can't really be classified as the "fringe."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:44 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
While the anti-Christian sentiment continues to skyrocket by the left, I do believe they have a point regarding the tax-exempt policy religious institutions benefit from. I also believe taxing religious institutions will make the charitable contributions these institutions give will be reduced.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
While the anti-Christian sentiment continues to skyrocket by the left, I do believe they have a point regarding the tax-exempt policy religious institutions benefit from. I also believe taxing religious institutions will make the charitable contributions these institutions give will be reduced.
Legitimate charitable work could still be exempted.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Why don't you give us just one example of a law that does not legislate ethics and morals. Please.
Not my job. HappyTexan made the statement, it's up to him/her to defend it.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
"the left" ????

"The left" is mostly composed of christians.

What "the left" believes in is religious freedom.....christians on "the RIGHT" don't.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:02 AM

990 posts, read 939,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its unimaginable now, but considering less than 50% of young adults today consider themselves Christian and the rhetoric coming from most young people is that religion, especially Christianity is an evil, despicable belief system that has done nothing but hold society back from progress, is it possible that when today's twentysomethings get into power we could start seeing government regulation of religion? Certain things are almost certain in the next 30 years, such as churches no longer being tax exempt, Christian holidays being removed from our list of national holidays, and possibly the banning of religious symbolism/imagery where viewable by the public, but can/will it go farther than that? Will the Bible be banned as "hate literature" because of its passages concerning homosexuals? Considering most on this forum are in that young twentysomething age group and are strong atheist, what do you want to see for the future of religion in this country?
While I think the idiocy known as Christianity (and organized religion in general) will eventually go extinct as humans evolve, this thread has no basis in reality or fact.

Have you ever heard of the CONSTITUTION? It has this thing called the "Bill of Rights". In this magical bill, there is a clause which guarantees freedom of religion. You know, the whole freaking reason why this country was founded.

Religion shouldn't be state sponsored or forced upon those who are not so primitive to believe in such nonsense. Tax-exemptions for churches is stupid, and not just for Christian ones, but for all religious institutions. People shouldn't need a tax incentive to donate to their church, and us as tax payers should not have to carry the burden of a millionaire like Mitt Romney avoiding his income tax by giving money to his cult instead of the US Government like the rest of us.

And considering the fact that I can buy Mein Kampf on Amazon.com, I don't think the Bible would be banned

Old 10-02-2012, 09:05 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I agree with your premise but Judaism and Islam, at least, can't really be classified as the "fringe."
"Fringe" is kind of difficult to define, especially when we're talking politics and the number of people who would be "alientated" by a law like this. There are more Mormons in the U.S. than there are either Jews or Muslims.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:16 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
"the left" ????

"The left" is mostly composed of christians.

What "the left" believes in is religious freedom.....christians on "the RIGHT" don't.

Yes. The left. Sure isn't the right.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
"Fringe" is kind of difficult to define, especially when we're talking politics and the number of people who would be "alientated" by a law like this. There are more Mormons in the U.S. than there are either Jews or Muslims.
Yeah...what it comes down to is that every religion's stated dogmatic beliefs are so crazy that almost anyone has to water them down and cherrypick them to get along even as an ordinary citizen, let alone as a leader...I don't think it ought to be an issue what church someone claims, for most people it's like claiming a football team; it doesn't really affect their lives that much.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
You attack Christians but you don't answer the question. I could say liberals are the whiners because they cry and carry on about presence of religion in public that they could ignore if they wanted to (which I don't understand why its so hard if its something you don't even believe in), or that gays and their allies are whiners because they cry and carry on about people that think gay sex isnt something to be celebrated, but I don't because its best to respect all points of views. Liberal version of tolerance: think like we do or be mocked, ridiculed, and humiliated.
The logic of your question eludes me.

Satanism isn't a religion practiced by the majority of Americans, and yet it's legal to worship Satan. Buddhism isn't a religion practiced by the majority of Americans, and yet it's legal to be a Buddhist. If Christianity were to become a religion practiced by a minority of Americans, how would it be different than Islam or Hinduism, both perfectly legal in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies