Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 05:03 AM

75 posts, read 107,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I didn't read the OP but I've made a similar observation before. It's baffling how middle class and above Blacks often adopt the ethos of underclass Blacks as a legitimate expression of Blackness.
Maybe because the media, and popular culture on TV and the Movies tend to lump all black people together that individual African Americans feel like they are helpless against the racial stereotypes, So they decide to try to downplay the negative attacks on Black people by nearly everyone.

I see lots of postings by African American's who try to downplay the problems in the Black Community. By saying things like this: "Yep , there are some really good people and some real scumbags of all colors and backgrounds."

(Yes there is some real scumbags in all races but look at stats and the African American community in general is a mess of trouble with incredibly high negative statistics of about every negative social, economic, educational, criminal, credit/money, health, and lifestyle indicator.)

Old 09-30-2012, 02:18 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I didn't read the OP but I've made a similar observation before. It's baffling how middle class and above Blacks often adopt the ethos of underclass Blacks as a legitimate expression of Blackness.
Exactly.

Only in black American society does "low class/often criminal" = "authentic expression of a culture."

Do middle and upper class Japanese think they're betraying their people by looking down at gangsters? No. Do middle and upper class Russians think they're betraying their people by looking down on the stereotypical drunken Russian who beats his wife and can't hold a job? No.

But, in the black America, any upper or middle class person with an attitude of "those people are scum" in regards to ghetto slime is "betraying his people" and not "keeping it real" and, worst of all, "acting white."

So, blacks are NEVER suppose to be successful and educated? That is the message black America sends to its people and especially its children every day. Get an education, advance yourself socially and integrate into American society and all of a sudden, you're "not authentic" and "don't got no street cred"

And keep in mind it's not all about money. I've met plenty of people from lower income backgrounds who are trying to advance socially and get ahead and stay away from drugs and having babies out of wedlock.

In every other culture, drugs and having multiple children before marriage is looked down upon...in black America, it's praised as "keeping it real". And then, when the statistics come in showing blacks are way behind whites in general when it comes to education, wealth, health etc, do the blacks blame their own toxic culture? No...they blame slavery that ended 200 years ago

Old 09-30-2012, 03:07 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
I don't believe anyone is trash. If God gets ahold of them , they can be pure. I don't look at anyone as trash.. maybe unrefined , misguided, they were not brought up but dragged up to what they are.. many people have no compass and never knew how to act because their parents taught them and they were no prize parents..

The circle can be broken and many people can become a good person thought the power of the Holy Spirit to teach them how to be a righteous human being.. God said he sent Jesus to lead people to salvation.. God goes to the heaps of souls in the salvage yard in the world and makes them brand new in Christ. Now that is real Hope and Change.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:16 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Some of what you say makes sense, however,

How does that work exactly?
I took that as

He has definately got a point.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:31 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
What if a well educated man of Scottish descent, who's never been in trouble with the law, has a decent jobs, volunteers at his local animal shelter etc sees a drunk at the bus stop. Said drunk, who is also of Scottish descent, says rude remarks to some women at the bus stop, stumbled around and drops his heroine out of his pocket and stumbles home. The well educated man of Scottish descent says "that guy was trash," and another fellow of Scottish descent says "why you talkin like dat fer? He your brotha. wat, ya don't like Scottish folks? Dase your peoples."

How ABSURD would it be to assume that an educated, well mannered person should have any kinship with trash just because said trash shares a common ancestry with them?

Well, look at the above and replace "Scottish" with "black American," and see how it plays out.

Every time any successful black person makes it clear that they have no respect for ghetto slime, people get up in arms and think they're "betraying" their people. Excuse me? I'm half black, grew up in a lower-working class neighborhood but through hard work (honestly, it didn't take much effort) and staying out of trouble (not getting a girl pregnant and becoming a "baby's fatha" and not doing drugs) I managed to do okay for myself (I'm a Sommelier/restaurant manager) So, because of my origins and DNA, I should show ENDLESS COMRADERY with people with names like "Tyrone," "Jameak" and "Laquashia" who dropped out of high school and have four kids by five people, have never had a job in their lives and smoke more than the average California wild fire?

Do we see white Americans in the suburbs look at the meth brewing rednecks as "brothas and sistas"? No. They are able to say "those people are filth", but blacks? No, they have to respect "da brothas and da sistas"

Why? I mean, why should I care about the gang-banging, food stamp collecting, illegitimate baby making, school quitting, crack selling, hip-hop dancing, pig feet eating trash or America?

The other day I had to kick someone out of my restaurant's bar because he was being rude to some women. He wore baggy pants, that ridiculous cap that looks like panty hose and had gold crowns on his teeth; in other words, he was ghetto slime. After I kicked him out several staff laughed and asked if "I hate my own people"

I don't care what you are, if you're loud trash, you are loud trash.

Why do blacks make excuses for the trash in their race? Why not just treat all trash equally and STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR FILTH WHO DECIDE TO BEHAVE LIKE SUBHUMANS?

I make no such distinctions....sorry, but the gangster on the corner and the crack smoker up the road are not "my brothas" and the welfare queen with four kids by five men are not "my sistas". Trash is trash...why do blacks have such a hard time understanding that?
A bit brash, but I agree.

As an African American there is no point in arguing this and attempting to convince blacks otherwise. It's best to leave people to their own devices and allow them to sink or swim on their own.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:35 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times
Quote:
What if a well educated man of Scottish descent, who's never been in trouble with the law, has a decent jobs, volunteers at his local animal shelter etc sees a drunk at the bus stop. Said drunk, who is also of Scottish descent, says rude remarks to some women at the bus stop, stumbled around and drops his heroine out of his pocket and stumbles home. The well educated man of Scottish descent says "that guy was trash," and another fellow of Scottish descent says "why you talkin like dat fer? He your brotha. wat, ya don't like Scottish folks? Dase your peoples."

How ABSURD would it be to assume that an educated, well mannered person should have any kinship with trash just because said trash shares a common ancestry with them?

Well, look at the above and replace "Scottish" with "black American," and see how it plays out.

Every time any successful black person makes it clear that they have no respect for ghetto slime, people get up in arms and think they're "betraying" their people. Excuse me? I'm half black, grew up in a lower-working class neighborhood but through hard work (honestly, it didn't take much effort) and staying out of trouble (not getting a girl pregnant and becoming a "baby's fatha" and not doing drugs) I managed to do okay for myself (I'm a Sommelier/restaurant manager) So, because of my origins and DNA, I should show ENDLESS COMRADERY with people with names like "Tyrone," "Jameak" and "Laquashia" who dropped out of high school and have four kids by five people, have never had a job in their lives and smoke more than the average California wild fire?

Do we see white Americans in the suburbs look at the meth brewing rednecks as "brothas and sistas"? No. They are able to say "those people are filth", but blacks? No, they have to respect "da brothas and da sistas"

Why? I mean, why should I care about the gang-banging, food stamp collecting, illegitimate baby making, school quitting, crack selling, hip-hop dancing, pig feet eating trash or America?

The other day I had to kick someone out of my restaurant's bar because he was being rude to some women. He wore baggy pants, that ridiculous cap that looks like panty hose and had gold crowns on his teeth; in other words, he was ghetto slime. After I kicked him out several staff laughed and asked if "I hate my own people"

Why do blacks make excuses for the trash in their race? Why not just treat all trash equally and STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR FILTH WHO DECIDE TO BEHAVE LIKE SUBHUMANS?

I make no such distinctions....sorry, but the gangster on the corner and the crack smoker up the road are not "my brothas" and the welfare queen with four kids by five men are not "my sistas". Trash is trash...why do blacks have such a hard time understanding that?
I stay away from people like this, which to me is a solution. [MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-30-2012 at 04:43 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 03:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
It's a good question actually. Whites don't look at other whites they don't know and think of them as brothers or sisters. Rich educated whites don't feel any kinship or natural bond with poor uneducated whites. You don't hear whites going around saying things like "Someday I want to help my people" or even thinking they have some people.

Since there is no bond, whites don't feel less as a race or people because some are criminals or illiterate -- since they feel no connection to them, they don't feel brought down by them.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:53 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
Quote:

Eh this is oversimplified and stereotypical. I've worked in some pretty diverse lines of work (the military and corrections) and trust me many black people do not like to be associated with the gang banging thug image that is embraced by the hip hop/urban culture. At the same time people of all races will scold a person for calling another human being (of any race) "trash" and talk about a brotherhood of all mankind. People are complex and can't be boiled down to simplified caricatures of their race.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:05 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:

There is much truth in this, despite how offensive some may find it. Until WE start demanding excellence of our own community and stop excusing and alibing those who fail to positively contribute to society we are never going to get respect from the other parts of society. WE need to stop allowing ourselves to be defined by our baser members.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:06 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There is much truth in this, despite how offensive some may find it. Until WE start demanding excellence of our own community and stop excusing and alibing those who fail to positively contribute to society we are never going to get respect from the other parts of society. WE need to stop allowing ourselves to be defined by our baser members.
It is not my duty to make other black people AND white people do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies