Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
If bolded text happens, she can hit the door and find someone else who wants kids, won't be my problem anymore. I'm not having a child for ANYONE. I do not want to support a child. I don't want to deal with the frustrations of parenting. I want no part of parenthood.

What I'm saying is that the worship of the family unit my popular society is nauseating for those of us who have other aspirations in life than having a family to take care of 24/7. That is all I'm saying.
A couple is considered a family unit without the benefit of blood relation (well, there are some exceptions). A child or children do not complete that "unit". I believe the difference between what you are saying and what the punk is saying is quite different. I respect people who know that children are not the end all gratification to all things in life. There are many people from different backgrounds who have different reasons for not wanting to have children, and those reasons can be viewed as being selfish or for the most part practical. Too bad the parents of the punk weren't practical or selfish with their own life and brought a child into the world that is consumed with hatred. I shudder to think if the punk reproduced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 04:29 AM

811 posts, read 1,053,701 times
What a sad opinion piece.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:50 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
What if a "strong man" still loved his teddy bear, and even hugged it in public?

Give me a break! Baby's need their mothers while grown men only enjoy (but don't need) lovers and victory over their enemies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
And a great need for validation in a chat room
Strong people face facts...... I took out the question marks in my post above...

Old 10-03-2012, 07:08 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
It sounds like you are very independent person and a very self-centered one. I hope you are also rich enough to take care of yourself or have others take care of you when you are old and alone and need physical help.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It sounds like you are very independent person and a very self-centered one. I hope you are also rich enough to take care of yourself or have others take care of you when you are old and alone and need physical help.
Like I've said before there is no guarantee of getting that help if you have a family either. Look no further than my nursing home example.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:29 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
First of all, I just said children may indeed need "loving" parents. Even though I most likely will never waste my time on crouch critters, aka the eighteen year STD.

Second...again, say that those you disagree with have mental health issues. I think it makes no sense to accept the failed status quo, but you don't see me calling those who like it "crazy." Do I suggest all defenders of democracy or laissez faire capitalism "see a shrink"? No, even though those ideas are pretty damn crazy to me.

And again...who wants kids? Every time I hear someone say "my children are the best thing that ever happened to me" I can't help but think "man, that must be a sad life."
Good grief, you need to read your own nonsense, and see how you come off to most people. Obviously, there are several things lacking in your life to have the views that you have. That much is clear. Did it feel cathartic to start this thread? Do you need a hug or something?

You don't want kids? Good. Who cares. And this goes for all of the others who think children are parasites and parents are "breeders". That's your lifestyle choice and it doesn't make it better simply because you follow it.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Like I've said before there is no guarantee of getting that help if you have a family either. Look no further than my nursing home example.
True that there is no guarantee of getting help from family members, but there is a chance. If you have no family for sure you will not get such help and you had better be rich enough to be able to afford that help from strangers.

Old 10-04-2012, 03:24 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,975,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

I don't intend to get that old anyway. I'll die about seventy or so.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I don't intend to get that old anyway. I'll die about seventy or so.
70 is old and are you planning on causing yourself to die intentionally if you get close to 71?

Old 10-04-2012, 01:27 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,202,687 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but everyone says the whole "you'll change your mind on family," or the great "don't let your bad experience ruin you."
The question is, what is the point of life? What are you trying to accomplish?

Philosophers have argued about this for centuries. Some argue that the point of life is just to be happy. Others argue that it is to basically "make the world a better place". Usually this involves a sense of objective morality, and usually an attempt to help others. I always see the second as, if you were to have never been born, would the world be better off or worse off?

If you believe that the purpose of life is only to be happy as an individual, then having children doesn't serve a purpose if it doesn't make you happy. And statistics show that people with kids aren't more happy than people without kids. Though statistically, people in relationships tend to be much happier than people who are single.

If you believe the purpose of life is to have a positive impact on the world, and you see yourself as a good person. Then it almost becomes a necessity to have children, or at least to be a mentor/role model to other children. What has more of an impact on the world than teaching the next generation proper values?

One of my favorite philosophies has to do with morality. It basically says, something is acceptable only on the basis that, if everyone was doing it all the time, it would still be acceptable.

So, lets take your position vs the opposite of your position, and find out which would still be acceptable under such a philosophy.

Your position is, family is weak, so no one should have children. If that were to happen, then humans would basically cease to exist. Or at least, the weakest people would be the only ones who continue to have children. Which means, humanity would hence become "weaker" in your point-of-view. In conclusion, your position would basically destroy the humanity you believe you are "saving".

The opposite position is, family is a good thing. And everyone has a family. So, the human species continues to exist, just as it has for tens of thousands of years. The people most "family-oriented" will probably continue to have the most children. The families who are most successful will be more competitive, will live longer, and be more "sought after. Thereby breeding out/diluting more of the genes that are socially inferior.

Quote:
I hate children, politicians, and families. I am against most intimate relationships, hate sports, don't like sunshine, I think babies are ugly and like making jokes about them dying and vomit at the idea of Christmas. I hate almost everything the overrated human race has created...except mystic religions.
You know, thats fine. I am not going to say you should like any of these things. The problem I have with you isn't that you feel a certain way. Its that you want others to feel the same way as you do. And you come on here saying that other people are weak for not feeling the same way as you do. Without having a coherent argument for why they are supposedly weak for feeling the way they do.

Its one thing to say "I don't like kids", its another to say "If you like kids, you're an idiot". One is your opinion, the other is you trying to force your opinion on others.

I personally think its a good thing you don't want kids. With your state of mind, having a child would be incredibly irresponsible of you. So while I appreciate your opinion about the world and about the act of procreation. Once you start disparaging others opinions, you start coming off as an intolerant jerk.

Quote:
Now, as for the lame "just because your family was bad" argument, I say this: what if someone enjoyed war? As in they loved killing innocent people and watching their body's die? Well, that guy would be pretty sick huh? That's what I say about adults who love their families, they are SICK. What, you like being around the people who wiped your backside when you were a baby? You enjoy having conversations with the person who pushed you out into this pain and suffering we call life? You enjoy spending time with siblings, whom genetically you should be programmed to kill to keep the resources to yourself?
Actually, I am a very nostalgic person. I love talking to people about things that happened forever ago. There is something great about being around people who you share a common history with. It seems like every time I'm around my older sister, she reminds me of something that happened when we were young, that I had basically forgot about until she started talking about it.

Its also nice to be around people who will basically love you forever, regardless of what you do. One of my sisters is a real pain in the butt. But I still think about her all the time, and I still want the best for her.

As for being "genetically programmed to kill" your siblings. That simply isn't true. Genetically, you are programmed to grow attachments to your family, which cause you to want to help them, not hurt them.

You should read about "Oxytocin", it is the hormone that causes humans to grow attached to other humans. It plays a large role in human "tribal" behavior, and people without it are basically sociopaths.

Oxytocin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It seems from reading your posts, that you are most likely a bit of a sociopath, and display other narcissistic tendencies. Which could explain your total disassociation with your own family, and why you cannot understand why others feel the way they do about their families. And why you seem so interested in becoming a monk/hermit.

Its really quite sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies