Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
By claiming that the Bill of Rights applies only to the federal government you have demonstrated beyond all doubt that you don't know what you're talking about.
I claimed no such thing. I stated, and the judge in the case ruled, that the Establishment Clause is interpreted as was explained. Nothing the cheerleaders did represented the establishment of a religion by Congress, or the preference of one religion over another by the U.S. government. The Establishment Clause is quite black and white, and most legal opinions have interpreted it in the same way.

If you cannot follow a simple, straightforward explanation without injecting your own speculation as to some arbitrary, implied meaning that was nonexistent, you have demonstrated the inability to comprehend what you read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
And plus, HEY, the nonsense that results will RUIN high school football as we know it.
They have been offering prayers before sporting events in Texas since the beginning of time

Hasn't seem to hurt them so far

Old 05-09-2013, 12:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Your guess is as good as mine.

All true, but advocates of letting these cheerleaders do this need to think about what they're opening the door to. If they can add Christian beliefs to the school banner regardless of misrepresentation, then any cheerleader of any other belief system should be permitted to (and will eventually) do the same, even if all the other cheerleaders disagree. After all, any interference or failure to protect this other student's right to promote their religion on the part of the school (including the coaches, etc.) would mean the local government was showing preference for one religion, and then the state and finally the federal government if the case was taken high enough. That would be a violation. I think the Christians who are celebrating this are very short-sighted; sooner or later, one courageous teen is going to shake things up in a way they haven't bargained for. And legally, constitutionally, they will have no way to stop it, thanks to this precedent.

And plus, HEY, the nonsense that results will RUIN high school football as we know it.
That "nonsense" didn't ruin our high school football game a year or so ago when a Muslim student led the prayer.

A good time was had by all.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,182 times
This verse from the Bible comes to mind.
Matthew 6:6
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

-There seems to be a lot of people who want others to notice them praying or the louder and in your face
they somehow think this makes them better. According to the above passage, I would say not.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:18 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

-There seems to be a lot of people who want others to notice them praying or the louder and in your face
they somehow think this makes them better. According to the above passage, I would say not.
Look, it's not my personal style - I prefer not to pray in public, and I also would be fine with no prayer at all at public events.

What I DO support, however, is free speech and freedom of religion. I don't have any guaranteed right NOT to be offended when others practice those rights in ways that I personally wouldn't choose. But that doesn't matter - it's a trade off. I support their rights to self expression and free speech and religion in exchange for those same rights myself.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post

That's a good point. Makes you wonder how many are Christians and how many, you know, follow the Christian doctrine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
They have been offering prayers before sporting events in Texas since the beginning of time

Hasn't seem to hurt them so far
Wasn't talking about prayers, but how often do you think this sort of thing happens? v

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
That "nonsense" didn't ruin our high school football game a year or so ago when a Muslim student led the prayer.

A good time was had by all.
Pray tell, erm... Or just TELL us, what was said in the prayer? And how could you possibly know that all (everyone) was okay with it? I've seen this sort of claim a handful of times in this thread. "Oh, it's not bothering anyone", "Everyone understands the banner wasn't speaking for the school", "No one was offended by it". If you can't be sure of something, why are you throwing it in?

Even if I believed that literally everyone was fine with a Muslim prayer kicking off the football game, it's not the sort of peace and harmony you can count on every time at every school. I stand by my argument. The school functions should not entail religious doctrine or promotion in any way. People can hold up their religous banners in the stands just as well. No religion needs to be mistaken (or put into the position where it can be mistaken) as the school's official faith. I've been waiting for someone to explain why they think otherwise (that there IS a need) but this entire time, I've been given exactly 0 reasons, and counting.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:35 PM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I claimed no such thing. I stated, and the judge in the case ruled, that the Establishment Clause is interpreted as was explained. Nothing the cheerleaders did represented the establishment of a religion by Congress, or the preference of one religion over another by the U.S. government. The Establishment Clause is quite black and white, and most legal opinions have interpreted it in the same way.

If you cannot follow a simple, straightforward explanation without injecting your own speculation as to some arbitrary, implied meaning that was nonexistent, you have demonstrated the inability to comprehend what you read.
Good strategy, dude. Post, then lie about what you posted.

Good bye.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Good strategy, dude. Post, then lie about what you posted.

Good bye.
Beats the strategy of attributing implied meaning to a comment that wasn't included directly or indirectly by the author of said comment, being confrontational about it in the process, then storming off like a butt hurt tween with no allowance money when called on it.

Hope that works for you.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:48 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
What kind of cheer are they trying to do. "Jump up and down in this joint, Jesus wants you to score a point?"

Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,383,429 times
This has become a political football.

Maybe even, a legal football.

Go Vaginas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies