Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,142,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
And just because Jesus prayed to God in front of other people doesn't mean you should disregard his instructions to you.
An excellent point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,940,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ropes1981 View Post
Lets change this around. Instead of putting Christian messages and signs all over lets take out "Christian messages" and input "gay" or "Muslim" messages. Anyone think these same people fighting for the Christian message would stand up for others free speech? Just a thought...
This has been asked probably 15 times already. Go back and read through the thread.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This has been asked probably 15 times already. Go back and read through the thread.
And the point bears repeating another 15 times. It's not unlike gun fondlers who claim what motivates them is "freedom." Unfortunately, when it comes to ingesting chemicals or prostitution or privacy rights in health services, they oppose such freedoms. It's not about freedom, it's about guns, for them. With these fundy nitwits, it's not about 1st Amendment freedoms, it's about promoting their own religion and trying to foist it upon anyone disinterested or opposed to it, but they're too dishonest to admit this.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I didn't ask you if you care. I asked what you think they are trying to accomplish.
I don't. I care less so why would I think about it?

Quote:
I have hope that you might attempt to answer this, given that you previously told me that whether they were in keeping with the instructions Jesus gave them was not a concern of yours, but now you have taken the time to find Biblical verses that you think support your case.
That was about you and not them. We wouldn't want people posting wrong or incomplete statements here without a reply to that.

Quote:
Do you concede that public institutions may limit what employees and students may say or do you think the Constitution prohibits the state from restricting whatsoever what one wishes to say, be it of a religious nature or anything else? Does a school administrator have an interest and a legitimate argument to keep school functions focused on the matter at hand and thus prohibiting those things that have nothing to do with the school function? Let's say instead of merely holding up a prayer placard, these pawns began a 10-minute religious chant. Would you argue that an attempt to stymie the religious chant was a violation of the 1st Amendment rights of the students? What if they wished to give a 10-minute lecture on the benefits of veganism? Now, admittedly, diet and what we choose to eat is far more relevant to athletic competition than "We love Jesus" signs and sentiments, but I think we can both agree that both are distractions from the actual event. SHould we tolerate anything that wishes to be said at these events, lest we violate the 1st Amendment?
That would likely be a violation as the school would specifically have to set aside 10 minutes for them.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
And the point bears repeating another 15 times. It's not unlike gun fondlers who claim what motivates them is "freedom." Unfortunately, when it comes to ingesting chemicals or prostitution or privacy rights in health services, they oppose such freedoms. It's not about freedom, it's about guns, for them. With these fundy nitwits, it's not about 1st Amendment freedoms, it's about promoting their own religion and trying to foist it upon anyone disinterested or opposed to it, but they're too dishonest to admit this.
One can always tell when someone has run out of legitimate points to argue. They resort to name calling.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:
I don't. I care less so why would I think about it?
When you say you could "care less," you are saying that you do care. The proper expression of what you're trying to say is, "I couldn't care less." People who say what you are saying sound like dumb football coaches who are also fond of saying, "It is what it is."

Quote:
That was about you and not them. We wouldn't want people posting wrong or incomplete statements here without a reply to that.
Quote:
That would likely be a violation as the school would specifically have to set aside 10 minutes for them.
Ah, you do make things difficult, but in your roundabout way, you do concede that a school may restrict the speech, even religious speech, of its students. That's all I needed. An administrator could also set aside zero minutes, which is precisely what I recommend for all nonsense that is irrelevant to the event at hand, in this case, the testimony of students at football games.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
When you say you could "care less," you are saying that you do care. The proper expression of what you're trying to say is, "I couldn't care less." People who say what you are saying sound like dumb football coaches who are also fond of saying, "It is what it is."
Second fall back when you have no argument.

Quote:
Ah, you do make things difficult, but in your roundabout way, you do concede that a school may restrict the speech, even religious speech, of its students. That's all I needed. An administrator could also set aside zero minutes, which is precisely what I recommend for all nonsense that is irrelevant to the event at hand, in this case, the testimony of students at football games.
The administration isn't involved here at all. That's the way it should be.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
One can always tell when someone has run out of legitimate points to argue. They resort to name calling.
Yes, if all they do is name-call. Of course, what I do is include name-calling in reasoned arguments. What most of you do, is register your hurt feelings and rely on that to avoid answering questions you don't want to answer. That has happened with you several times in this thread.

As I age, I am less and less interested in whether my style offends people and hurts their feelings. I have tried the approach of taking seriously the opinions of knaves, dupes and fools and affording them unearned respect. It's good to be offended. When the favor is returned to me, you will notice that the deliverer never disappears for two weeks from the forum because I am not interested in silencing someone because they were a big meanie to me. Get over yourselves. If you cannot tolerate being called an unkind name, internet forums are not the place for you. Life just gets harder from here on out.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Second fall back when you have no argument.
Again, if all I was doing is calling you out on your butchering of expressions, you would be correct. You will notice that in each and every response, I critique your arguments. When it comes to language, I am a conservative. I'm troubled by the degeneration of the language. It annoys me. It annoys me when Americans defiantly declare that they will butcher the language however they wish. Language is important. I too make mistakes, but I try to correct them. The essence of laziness is being told that you are doing something wrong and then choosing to continue the behavior for no particularly good reason.

Quote:
The administration isn't involved here at all. That's the way it should be.
So the administration has no legitimate interests in what students of the school display at school-sponsored events? Or is that just when the display is of a religious nature?

Old 05-11-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Yes, if all they do is name-call. Of course, what I do is include name-calling in reasoned arguments. What most of you do, is register your hurt feelings and rely on that to avoid answering questions you don't want to answer. That has happened with you several times in this thread.

As I age, I am less and less interested in whether my style offends people and hurts their feelings. I have tried the approach of taking seriously the opinions of knaves, dupes and fools and affording them unearned respect. It's good to be offended. When the favor is returned to me, you will notice that the deliverer never disappears for two weeks from the forum because I am not interested in silencing someone because they were a big meanie to me. Get over yourselves. If you cannot tolerate being called an unkind name, internet forums are not the place for you. Life just gets harder from here on out.
I am able to argue without resorting to jr high tactics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies