Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 08:03 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Really?

When you have politicians trying force women to carry rape pregnancies to term because it is a "gift" from GOD.........THAT is trying to force your religious beliefs on others.

When you have politicians trying to deny homosexuals the right to be married because of what the BIBLE says..........THAT is trying to force your religious beliefs on others.

If you don't agree with abortion or gay marriage......don't participate.....stay quiet.....and mind your own business.
That's very stupid. However politicians have freedom of speech and could express their opinion as they want. Don't vote for them if you don't like their view. Remember that not only Christians may be against it, so are Jews and Muslims.

Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
That's very stupid. However politicians have freedom of speech and could express their opinion as they want. Don't vote for them if you don't like their view. Remember that not only Christians may be against it, so are Jews and Muslims.
No, most Jews are not. The majority of Jews, especially in this country are liberal and pro-gay.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:30 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
I am the majority, and this nation was found upon Christian belief and principles.
"[The] Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

Treaty of Tripoli, 1797

Old 10-28-2012, 06:53 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
I am the majority, and this nation was found upon Christian belief and principles. America is culturally and historically a Christian nation ever since its foundation, and even before 1776.

What are Christians doing that bother you? You get angry over seeing churches and Christian symbols everywhere? Well of course you will see, because 80% of Americans are Christians. Why can't I wear a cross and have Christian symbols on my car? We are proud of being Christians.

However, I do agree that Christians should stop telling people in public about being against same-sex marriage and abortion. Jesus was never against either of it. But, they could freely express their opinion due to the First Amendment "Freedom of Speech".

Atheists have done terrible things in America too, and shovel down their non-belief in our throats. Google atheist billboards - Very insulting and idiotic!, also google what atheists have harmed our society.
No, you are not the majority. You are just a rather silly person who is bigoted against those who do not share your views. Fortunately, most christians are not like you. They respect others.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Will atheism/non-belief be illegal in the U.S. in the future?

Quote:
Since the United States is one of the most religious developed country in the world with only 1-3% of the population being atheists/agnostic (Yes, 16% are not members of any religion, but that does not mean they do not believe in God), and this nation being 80% Christian and over 90% believe in God. On top of having very religious people, including large part of the nation being part of the 'Bible Belt', 'In God We Trust' as national motto, religion being part of the politics and daily life - Will Atheism be possibly illegal in the future?

Many young people still are very religious, and in this bad economy many people seek faith and comfort, and many people go to church for help.

As much as the crackpot religious fringe would want to eliminate all and any beliefs but their own, it won't happen here.

Those seeking a theocratic state do have options: Saudi Arabia and Iran. Embrace Allah and pack your bags.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:21 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,383,442 times
Quote:
OMG you're taking Westboro Baptist Church serious? They are trolling, crazy and not in any sense of being Christian at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I am sure they can quote a bible verse to justify everything they do, just like every other Christian....so, what's the difference exactly?
Exactly.

You are ranting about atheists' billboards and things that some atheists do when the do not represent each one of us. I, for one, don't really agree with the groups that post billboards throwing their ideas in people's faces. I'd rather believe what I do and go about my business. I'm not at all concerned with changing anyone's minds. I just don't want anyone trying to change mind or making false assumptions about me based on others.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:14 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Exactly.

You are ranting about atheists' billboards and things that some atheists do when the do not represent each one of us. I, for one, don't really agree with the groups that post billboards throwing their ideas in people's faces. I'd rather believe what I do and go about my business. I'm not at all concerned with changing anyone's minds. I just don't want anyone trying to change mind or making false assumptions about me based on others.
I'm fine with the bilboards.

They seem like a waste of money and an eyesore...but keep them up if someone wants them up.

The goal of at least some of them (like below) is supposedly to reach out to closet atheists. Having never been a person of faith, I have no idea whether that is assistful or not.

Others, I have no idea what the purpose of is.

Last edited by Clintone; 10-28-2012 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-28-2012, 06:31 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No, most Jews are not. The majority of Jews, especially in this country are liberal and pro-gay.
Not true. There are millions of Jews who are conservative, fundamentalist orthodox who are against gay marriage and other unbiblical things. Google and see!

Old 10-28-2012, 07:26 PM

33,540 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Not true. There are millions of Jews who are conservative, fundamentalist orthodox who are against gay marriage and other unbiblical things. Google and see!
The majority of Americans today support marriage equality, and since the majority of Americans are religious you are wrong once again... It is only among the anti progress Republican party that the majority is opposed to same sex marriage. Pew poll shows rising support for gay marriage - PostPartisan - The Washington Post

Old 10-28-2012, 07:41 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
"[The] Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..."

Treaty of Tripoli, 1797
They really hate that nugget, even though it's probably the most explicit rejection of the idea of the "founding" upon Christianity that came out during the lifetimes of the founding fathers.

The most significant implicit one being the total lack of anything to do with Christianity or God being put in the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies