Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2012, 11:38 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times

Advertisements

Just finished listening to the speech as posted at Daily Caller. Its a speech about poverty, not race. As for Katrina his says its an issue about poverty, not race.

The person who wrote associated article is heavily spinning the speech. As an example.

This theme — that black Americans suffer while others profit — is a national problem, Obama continues: “We need additional federal public transportation dollars flowing to the highest need communities. We don’t need to build more highways out in the suburbs,” where, the implication is, the rich white people live. Instead, Obama says, federal money should flow to “our neighborhoods”: “We should be investing in minority-owned businesses, in our neighborhoods, so people don’t have to travel from miles away.”[LEFT]
Read more: VIDEO: Obama speech praises Wright, attacks feds on Katrina | The Daily Caller

Obama didn't reference black people, he reference poor people. Our neighborhoods being the neighborhoods were poor people live, so they can better access the newly created jobs.

Agree with his ideas or not. However it was not a speech about race, it was a speech about poverty.
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
He kept talking about "our neighborhoods" about how blacks could have done the whole New Orleans clean up if they had been trained beforehand. He kept on through the whole speech talking about the little girl who was shot while in the womb in LA during the riots. He kept coming back to that one.

At one point he lost his place on his notes, I guess, when he stuttered and stammered around and said that the Iraq war was costing $275 million per day. I am sure he knows enough to see that that number would mean $27.5 trillion in 100 days. I wonder if you saw the whole speech like I did at Daily Caller.
And because he is black "our neighborhoods" must be referring to black people specifically? He was referring to poor neighborhoods. Those neighborhoods could contain people from all races.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have posted the Daily Caller article that has the whole speech and people can see really what he did that night. Especially what he said about Rev. Wright and people can see why he kept talking about the little girl born with a bullet in the elbow. It is great to hear him talking about the LA riots as if they were only blamable on the white people.
He blamed the LA riots on poverty.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:06 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Here's the video you well be trying to raise a stink about hoping to revive Romney.

Looking forward to all your ominous predictions of Obama's demise.

Is This the "Bombshell" Obama Video?
That apparently has the more inflammatory comments excerpted. Those can be found here:

VIDEO: Obama speech praises Wright, attacks feds on Katrina | The Daily Caller

Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That apparently has the more inflammatory comments excerpted. Those can be found here:

VIDEO: Obama speech praises Wright, attacks feds on Katrina | The Daily Caller
I've listened to the speech as posted at the DC. What were those inflammatory comments?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:12 AM

You don't think he was referencing blacks when discussing Katrina?

Old 10-03-2012, 12:26 AM

Quote:
You don't think he was referencing blacks when discussing Katrina?
He blamed the problems on impoverished neighborhoods. He did not say impoverished black neighborhoods.

He said people ask him if it is a problem of race, and he says he replied the Bush was colorblind in his incompetence.

His focus was on poverty and the effects of poverty. Yes some black people do live in poor neighborhoods, but he did not single them out.

Old 10-03-2012, 12:35 AM

WS the undertones of that speech are quite evident hence the reason those parts were removed from the one posted to youtube 5 years ago.

-edit----

I'm not even sure if "undetone" is the correct term:

Quote:
“America will survive. Just like black folks will survive. We won’t forget where we came from. We won’t forget what happened 19 months ago, or 15 years ago, or 300 years ago."

Old 10-03-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
WS the undertones of that speech are quite evident hence the reason those parts were removed from the one posted to youtube 5 years ago.

-edit----

I'm not even sure if "undetone" is the correct term:
I've only seen the full version, so my impression is from the full version.

Its clear he is talking about poverty and how to combat it. Part of breaking the cycle of poverty is to help people acquire the tools and skills they need to take control of their own lives. Since the audience was largely ministers, I imagine that the deal a lot with poverty.

It was given at Hampton University, a historical black college. The audience was most likely primarily African-American. I think it is remarkable how few references to African Americans or racism there were in the speech. It would be like going to AIPAC conference and barely mentioning Israel.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:30 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
Why would an eloquent Harvard educated lawyer feel the need to change his usual intelligent speaking demeanor to a 3 word cadence style? Did he think his audience wouldn't be able to understand him if he didn't dumb it down?

To me, it was rather insulting to the audience members to be talked down to like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies