Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:25 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
About 600 legislators in Washington who disagree. My grandmother, a USDA meat inspector, would disagree. I'd disagree when I served in the military.

Should have been clearer, I meant Private Sector Jobs.

I was in the military also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:27 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post

Are Boeing and Lockheed Martin private sector? I think so...

Old 10-03-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Are Boeing and Lockheed Martin private sector? I think so...

The government didn't create those jobs. Boeing and Lockheed Martin won contracts. Private sector all the way.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The government didn't create those jobs. Boeing and Lockheed Martin won contracts. Private sector all the way.
80% of their work relies on the Government. Hence the reason they are slashing jobs when programs are cut.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,452,624 times
So is "job creator" the new code word for rich?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
80% of their work relies on the Government. Hence the reason they are slashing jobs when programs are cut.

Read my post again, then try to comprehend what you're reading. It's contract work. The govt is a client. They lose a big client, jobs suffer. The government didn;t create those jobs, the companies did when they won the contract.

...see how private enterprise works?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,838 times
Quote:
Read my post again, then try to comprehend what you're reading. It's contract work. The govt is a client. They lose a big client, jobs suffer. The government didn;t create those jobs, the companies did when they won the contract.

Short form: Workers hired on contract aren't real workers.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Government is the GENESIS of that work... without it, those jobs would cease to exist.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:

Lots of private sector jobs are created to meet government contracts.

Blackwater, Boeing, Lockheed-Martin, AT&T, lots of private companies create jobs to meet government demand. Its actually the way it should be run, even the USDA, etc. The government should set standards of operation, and what they want, lets say safe food. Then you let the private sector bid on the contract on who can do it the best, for the least money. Then if they don't perform you find another company. Lots of people with money willing to start businesses to meet demand from the government.

Demand creates job, and the government creates demand.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,464,673 times
Quote:

I understand your logic, but you should ask, would those jobs exists without the government demand for a product?

Did the government "create" those jobs? Perhaps not, but it did create the demand and funding for them. The line gets very blurry on close inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies