Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,881,160 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt say they are more creative, I grew up around alot of Jews. They simply work harder than others. Ill agree that Asians work just as hard, but Jews also allow their kids to socialize and play at younger ages, which in and of itself develops critical areas of emotional intelligence which also foster success. I think Asians have a tendency to shelter the kids when it comes to socializing and playing with others. Focusing on books and piano lessons all day can limit a childs all around growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 09:25 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,379,585 times
I really think it has to do with eating spinich.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:51 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
There are studies that show that Jews are actually more intelligent, on average. Of course most Jews in the U.S. vote democrat...just saying.
Well, I have met Jews from all ends of the spectrum. Most of the Jews I know, do not vote Democrat. Of course I am in the south, not in NYC . . .

Old 10-16-2012, 09:52 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyze_this View Post
They are not just smart, they are also more creative than other races of people.
I have been world over, and I've seen amazing creativity from people regardless of their race. It is impossible for me to believe that smartness and creativity is tied to a race.

The idea that certain attributes can be tied to a particular race is better served as a lesson in History. And Jews that went through one of the nastiest of times about seven decades ago can vouch for that. Remember, "Jews are powerful and influential", "Jews are commies"... was also a theme back in those days.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
Jewish people were forced to be creative because if you look at history they were not allowed to perform certain professions due to the people who were in charge in these days and they made sure to do something else instead of playing the blame game and being lazy.

Most Jewish people I know and I'm one of them..lol, are very much involved in their children's life and do a lot together instead of sitting in a bar or blowing up others like in some areas in the world is going on and Jewish people overall want their kids to do better than they did!

This can be done by any group or race but it seems Jewish people are able to keep doing it and are making sure their kids will do the same without even telling them they need to do so!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
As stated previously, Jews are a ethnic group. Muslims are not an ethnic group.

Arabs seem to be doing just fine in Dubai
Judaism is a religion, not an ethnic group.

An Ethopian Jew will look different and be culturally different from a Moroccan Jew or a Russian Jew or a descendent of German Jews living in the USA. Yet, they are all Jews just based on religion.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:29 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Jewish people were forced to be creative...
What is Jewish people to you? An ethnicity? A race? A religious collective? Then we can proceed to apply your statement accordingly.

Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bath salt zombie View Post
Oh wow, really then why are there atheist Jews
Judaism isn't a religion, really?

If someone is an atheist and they don't attend any sort of Jewish cultural functions ever or partake in any sort of Jewish traditions, well how Jewish are they really? If they still make even a perfunctoary attempt at still following Jewish traditions or customs then they can still be considered nominally Jewish in terms of culture.

What I'm saying--is that there isn't one overarching Jewish ethnicity. People in certain populations have converted to Judaism in times historically there's been intermixing with other cultures that have provided different. Do you really think that a dark skinned Jew from Ethopia with completely different roots and culture is the same ethnicity as a light-skinned descendent of German Jews? I learnt about the Morrocan Jews when I was staying there and they looked no different than other Morrocans.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Judaism isn't a religion, really?

If someone is an atheist and they don't attend any sort of Jewish cultural functions ever or partake in any sort of Jewish traditions, well how Jewish are they really? If they still make even a perfunctoary attempt at still following Jewish traditions or customs then they can still be considered nominally Jewish in terms of culture.

What I'm saying--is that there isn't one overarching Jewish ethnicity. People in certain populations have converted to Judaism in times historically there's been intermixing with other cultures that have provided different. Do you really think that a dark skinned Jew from Ethopia with completely different roots and culture is the same ethnicity as a light-skinned descendent of German Jews? I learnt about the Morrocan Jews when I was staying there and they looked no different than other Morrocans.
I would consider Judaism as much as an ethnicity as saying that you are Chinese. For instance, being Chinese is very different in you are from Shanghai vs. Schuzan vs. Yunnan - but all are Chinese. Similarly, you are Jewish whether you are Ashkenazi, Sephardic, Chassidic, Yemenite, etc... It's the overarching culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bath salt zombie View Post
It seems this topic is going around in circles, I already addressed this if you see my previous post about Asians/Chinese they also are high academic achievers who value education and also were denied rights when coming to the US.

So why do Asian/Chinese Americans have far less wealth/control/ influence in this country than Jews?
And don't say it's because their parents let them socialize with others that's just silly.
I think it has to do with different markers of success culturally.

There seems to be a greater push toward science and math among Asian families in comparison to Jewish families. Being a doctor or scientist leads to a comfortable, middle to upper middle class living, but does not often allow for great wealth. Jewish families encourage math and science as well, but with the context of general educational attainment and financial success. I work in a Jewish-affiliated university and Asian students seem to make up a significant portion of the sciences, but are underrepresented in the economics, business, politics, philosophy, and international studies departments (the fields that people normally choose to go into careers in business, law, and political advising).

Old 10-16-2012, 11:26 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Judaism is a religion, not an ethnic group.

An Ethopian Jew will look different and be culturally different from a Moroccan Jew or a Russian Jew or a descendent of German Jews living in the USA. Yet, they are all Jews just based on religion.
It is both Religious, AND ethnic. Whether the Jew is Russian, Ethiopian, Moroccan, German, or American, we are all Mishpachah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies