Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:15 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I live in the South and I am Jewish and I will be voting Democrat this election...at least in the Presidential race. The fact is that most jews vote democrat. Do you need a cite?
No I am familiar with that fact. Most people tend to gloss over the part where most of us live in more high population city areas, that are predominantly liberal. Those of us in a more suburban settings, ten to be more evenly split on how we look upon things.

BTW, a bit late, L'shana tova.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 01:17 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,880,558 times
Ive never known a single Jew in my life that collected welfare! They earn their keep!

Old 10-16-2012, 01:26 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Were Jews that powerful when they were getting killed in pogroms in Russia and the Ukraine? Were Jews that rich when they were flocking over by the boatloads to live in cramped slum tenements in the Lower East Side of New York to escape the even worse poverty in the ghettos of Europe?

The places where there are Jews that are rich and powerful are wealthier countries where they made the most of the opportunity to move up financially. Historically the Jews didn't have the easy access to capital that the old money families had and there was often high levels of discrimination against them, so they had take career paths or roles wherever they could. That's why Jews could become traders or merchants or bankers during the Middle Ages when these were often trades looked down upon by the Christian hierarchy. Later, look at all the descendents of poor Jewish immigrants to the US who became successful lawyers--because this was a route they you could succeed on the basis of education and if the dominant law firms wouldn't hire Jews--they'd start their own law firm. Likewise the film industry was nothing when entrepreneurial Jewish Americans saw an opening and basically helped build Hollywood.

But it's a misnomer to assume that all Jews are rich and powerful. The Rothchilds don't represent all Jews no more so than English royalty represents all English including all poor Cockney Londoners. By the same token there was a huge discprency between the wealthier more assimilated Jews in somewhere like Germany in the 19th Century and the more Orthodox ghetto dwellers in Eastern Europe—and both were a world apart from the Jews living in Asia or the Middle East as far as living standards and culture. Have you ever been to a neighborhood of Orthodox Jews in New York? They're working class immigrants in many ways—in some areas they survive off welfare at a higher rate than even neighboring urban areas.

There's other immigrant groups that have been successful in a few generations of migration, yet you often never the same stereotypes of being all powerful and rich. I've known rich, successful families who are Armenians or Syrians or Koreans so on who had a similar path up the ladder and place a premium on hard work and education.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:30 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Ive never known a single Jew in my life that collected welfare! They earn their keep!

Many Orthodox Jewish communities both in the United States and Israel survive on high levels of social welfare.

A Village With the Numbers, Not the Image, of the Poorest Place

Old 10-16-2012, 01:31 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Ignorance.

The Poorest Town In America Is Closer, And More Jewish, Than You Think: Gothamist

"Kiryas Joel is a village within the town of Monroe in Orange County, New York, United States. The great majority of its residents are HasidicJews who strictly observe the Torah and its commandments, and belong to the worldwide Satmar Hasidic dynasty.

According to 2008 census figures, the village has the highest poverty rate in the nation. More than two-thirds of residents live below the federal poverty line and 40% receive food stamps."

Old 10-16-2012, 02:16 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,943,270 times
I know two on cd who served in the military. Myself and another poster.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:20 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I know two on cd who served in the military. Myself and another poster.
I would be the other, U.S. Submarine Forces.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:26 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Historically, Jews (in Europe/Russia) weren't allowed to own or work land, and weren't admitted to craft guilds. That took out most of the things people could do for a living. As a group, they were literate, as there is an emphasis on this so as to read the Torah. If you aren't allowed to work with your hands or body, then you'd better be able to work with your mind. Jews were often the middlemen for illiterate leaders of groups- for trade, for language abilities (having been pushed from place to place) and for the ability to use numbers in trade and business.
That has led to the ongoing emphasis on brainwork and education.
I wouldn't say that "Jews are powerful," as that seems quite a bit too close to the old "Jews have a secret cabal to run the world" but if you're educated, connected and professional, you are likely to be in areas of influence where you live and work.
Also, drunkenness is discouraged. If people are going to invade your town and kill you on Friday nights, if you're a drunk, you're not going to live to pass on your genes, and you certainly won't be able to protect yourself and your family and neighbors. Jewish drunks are rare. There is an emphasis on being responsible to family and community (philanthropy) and that is a cultural norm.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM

990 posts, read 938,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Ignorance.

The Poorest Town In America Is Closer, And More Jewish, Than You Think: Gothamist

"Kiryas Joel is a village within the town of Monroe in Orange County, New York, United States. The great majority of its residents are HasidicJews who strictly observe the Torah and its commandments, and belong to the worldwide Satmar Hasidic dynasty.

According to 2008 census figures, the village has the highest poverty rate in the nation. More than two-thirds of residents live below the federal poverty line and 40% receive food stamps."

Which really proves that the ultimate religion is one where you are secular.

The secular Jews thrive, the devout ones are a drain on the economy...just like it is with Christians. The difference between Christians and Jews is that Jews promote education more and the Jewish society puts a lot more pressure on Jewish kids to succeed in school and excel professionally. Christians tend to push for going to church, marriage, kids, etc. before career and education.

Obviously this is all generalization nonsense, but the vast majority of Jews are successful because of the stress on Education. 85% of Jewish kids who graduate HS go on to college, only 40% of all Americans (including the Jews) go to college. That stat alone should prove that Jews value education more and should prove why they tend to be more successful. Plus, about 25% of all Ivy League Students are Jewish...clearly showing that the best and brightest tend to be Jewish.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:49 PM

437 posts, read 792,290 times
Because they are His chosen people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies