Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2012, 09:34 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I wonder how many of those hundreds of thousands would stand up for this terrible political minded teacher. I know that many of them are Democrats and also see her as a member of their union. They may not say what they are thinking but too many of them will do so before all this is over.
Having been around and taught in public schools, I don't know of any teacher that would not stand up to that sort of action by another teacher. Whether they confront the teacher directly or go to the principal or superintendent with it, who knows, but it will be confronted IF what the link says is true.

Just because most teachers belong to a union does not mean that their sense of duty toward children and their surroundings is dictated by that or by politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
Having been around and taught in public schools, I don't know of any teacher that would not stand up to that sort of action by another teacher. Whether they confront the teacher directly or go to the principal or superintendent with it, who knows, but it will be confronted IF what the link says is true.

Just because most teachers belong to a union does not mean that their sense of duty toward children and their surroundings is dictated by that or by politics.
Bingo - and pretty much the same thing I just posted too!

I don't know if people realize we HAVE to join these unions, at least if you want all the benefits and protections your fellow workers receive. Most "union members" do little more than pay their dues, and some aren't even aware of their political connections... I had absolutely no idea about that stuff when I started working in public service, in fact I didn't even understand what a union really was. Thankfully we aren't all political sheep, and would gladly stand up for what is right no matter what the union believes.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:26 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Bingo - and pretty much the same thing I just posted too!

I don't know if people realize we HAVE to join these unions, at least if you want all the benefits and protections your fellow workers receive. Most "union members" do little more than pay their dues, and some aren't even aware of their political connections... I had absolutely no idea about that stuff when I started working in public service, in fact I didn't even understand what a union really was. Thankfully we aren't all political sheep, and would gladly stand up for what is right no matter what the union believes.
I support Proposition 32.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:01 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Why am I not surprised your link is from FOX News? Until I can find a less rightie-biased source, I will assume they exaggerated and fabricated as is typical of them.

But even if the story is 100% fact-based (LOL), this one person hardly represents an entire subset of our population - a subset which makes up around HALF of our country, mind you. Chances are, given the source, it was merely an issue of a teacher enforcing a dress code... she probably didn't say anything about the KKK, and if my hunch is correct, would have done the same for a student wearing an Obama shirt. My school had a dress code prohibiting all shirts with words, so couldn't that have been the case? Of course you wouldn't even consider that, since it's more fun to use this "story" to further your agenda!

[snip]
In less time than it took you to criticize the story's source and assume the story is all wrong, you could have found NBC, CBS, and other sources to your liking reporting it the same way. Your 'hunches,' chances are,' and 'probably,' aren't what any media I've seen are reporting.

You don't want the story to be true, so knock the source and hunch it away.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 AM

27 posts, read 23,355 times
That is a disgrace and that teacher should be fired for such behavior

Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 AM

376 posts, read 652,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
What is wrong with democrats?

The only way you can hold on to your base is by labeling republicans as KKK members?

Teacher Compares Student’s Romney Shirt to KKK Robe

From my own experience in school and realizing by 5th grade that some of my teachers were idiots, and then seeing that more personified with my kids, I don't put teachers on pedestals or even trust/respect most of them.

To be fair, there are some really good ones worthy of great thanks and respect. To those I say thanks but to the liberal union mindless fools that suck as teachers, don't abuse your position like this Philly idiot teacher.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,619,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl2012 View Post
That is a disgrace and that teacher should be fired for such behavior

This story reminds me of the dumbass in Florida who told all of her students in order to pass the class they MUST vote for Obama....seriously? I don't care what side politically you are on-shut the hell up and teach! I truly do not understand why they do not fire teachers...there are a ton of good out of work teachers.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 AM

78,380 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Yes, let's take one nutjob and label the entirety of Democrats with him. Makes sense.
Standard practice around here, probably 1/4 of the threads use this tactic, maybe more.
<points to the thread where the right wing guy went nuts and shot his family over the possibility of Obama re-election.>

Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 AM

78,380 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Wow. I just read this was a Geometry teacher that went off....I would have lost that bet big-time....I would have guessed just about any other type of teacher first.

Just more election year derangement from both the right and left, probably wound tight after the first debate and having other personal issues.

Oh well, hopefully they get some professional help.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Actually, no - they don't. Students have no "freedom of speech" at schools, and must abide by any rules laid out by the administration... if a student stands up in the middle of class to proclaim they hate black people, do you think the school would allow that? Or if they wore a shirt with a giant pot leaf on it, would they not be asked to change? Minors do have certain rights, but they are much more limited than adults' rights, especially within a classroom setting.
If a student stand up in the middle of class to proclaim anything, don't you think that's disrupting the education process? Students DO have "freedom of speech", but it's more circumscribed at school just like it's more circumbscribed for most of us at work. The space being used to exercise one's freedom of speech has to be respected. Even though public schools are public spaces, they serve a function, and the function of those spaces has to be considered. Courtrooms are public spaces, they serve a function, and that function has to be respected. Which is why judges can call for order, and jail disruptive persons in the courtroom. But just because certain public spaces are more circumscribed in terms of freedom of speech doesn't mean that there is no free speech. In this particular case, the student was well within the guidelines established by the school, and was therefore free to make the particular political statement. I think a shirt with a giant pot leaf printed on it would fall within the scope of political statement as well, but different schools have different guidelines, and the US court system has given the schools a lot of range to define their guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies