Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,663,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
As someone who doesn't really give a rats @ss about political parties, I've disliked both the republican and democratic parties about the same over the years, for reasons I won't get into. But over the last decade I find myself disliking the right more than the left not because of right wing policies or politicians but because I'm just sick of listening to right wing voters scream and complain about everything. The left has always had those annoying college aged kids that protest about stuff they don't even know about and they also have the in your face black voters that protest at the drop of a hat as well but as a collective whole I feel most democrats are pretty tame even though I don't agree with a lot of their policies. The right on the other hand has gone completely bat$hit crazy over the last decade. They're worse than the flower kids from the 60's. It's as if the never shut up about anything and half the time the don't have even the slightest clue what they're talking about. They'll be screaming about how people have too many kids and then turn right around and complain about schools teaching sex ed or providing condoms. They’ll scream about how this country wastes too much money but turn around and scream about the president not sticking our nose into some other countries business and starting another trillion dollar war. It's got to be embarrassing for an educated and rational thinking guy like Mitt Romney to know that probably two thirds of his vote will come from people that don't even have a basic understanding of how our government works let alone any comprehension of things like basic economics, civics or u.s. history. What is the cause of all these stupid people suddenly having a loud obnoxious voice in politics. I wish we could go back to the Reagan era where conservative voters did their talking in the voting booths instead of ramming their hypocritical opinions down your throat 24/7.
Apparently, you missed the 8 years before 0bama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 PM

23,837 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
well obviously if I was content with the Reagan era than I was around for the bush era kid.
Well, you obviously missed something, because the harping during the Bush years was at least as loud as it is now.

Sorry, "kid," but if you're going to say something that incomprehensibly obvious, then you have to expect that people are going to question why you're saying it.

Quote:
Yes, think. It would do you some good.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:05 PM

62,859 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
I believe that you think that and
the fact that you're talking about it before thinking about it just proves the point of my post. You might as well said that cigarettes don't cause cancer. Take your nonsense somewhere else please.
Nonsense? I challenge you to read the topics started and make a note in numbers who is hurling the most insults and screaming the loudest in this forum. WTH does your analogy about cigarettes have to do with the facts that I stated? Who appointed you moderator to tell me to take my "facts" elswhere? Thanks for proving my point by your own insults that the left is exactly what I said they are, lol.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:12 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,583,918 times
Quote:
As someone who doesn't really give a rats @ss about political parties, I've disliked both the republican and democratic parties about the same over the years, for reasons I won't get into. But over the last decade I find myself disliking the right more than the left not because of right wing policies or politicians but because I'm just sick of listening to right wing voters scream and complain about everything. The left has always had those annoying college aged kids that protest about stuff they don't even know about and they also have the in your face black voters that protest at the drop of a hat as well but as a collective whole I feel most democrats are pretty tame even though I don't agree with a lot of their policies. The right on the other hand has gone completely bat$hit crazy over the last decade. They're worse than the flower kids from the 60's. It's as if the never shut up about anything and half the time the don't have even the slightest clue what they're talking about. They'll be screaming about how people have too many kids and then turn right around and complain about schools teaching sex ed or providing condoms. They’ll scream about how this country wastes too much money but turn around and scream about the president not sticking our nose into some other countries business and starting another trillion dollar war. It's got to be embarrassing for an educated and rational thinking guy like Mitt Romney to know that probably two thirds of his vote will come from people that don't even have a basic understanding of how our government works let alone any comprehension of things like basic economics, civics or u.s. history. What is the cause of all these stupid people suddenly having a loud obnoxious voice in politics. I wish we could go back to the Reagan era where conservative voters did their talking in the voting booths instead of ramming their hypocritical opinions down your throat 24/7.

Wait, what? The left has been the most shrill and obnoxious during the span of my entire existence. What the hell are you talking about?

Old 10-04-2012, 05:19 PM

17,767 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Yep.

It is the talk radio effect. The GOP is full of talk radio/Fox junkies who act like crazy soccer hooligans. They are addicted to their propaganda, and I am guessing many are getting older and a bit addled.
Yes, the republican party used to have guys like William F. Buckley out in front.

Now they have Limbaugh and all those "tough" guys like O'Rielly. Even pathetic dorks like Neil Boortz, Michael Savage and that goofy guy with the annoying voice that wrote the sappy book about his dog. All of them think they are tough. And lest we forget the "tough guy" smirk that Hannity has on when he is taking on a lib.

On the left I suppose Bill Maher is the equivalent of Rush. But about the only guy who might even come close to fitting in the "tough guy" category might be Eddie Schultz.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,097 times
People always falsely believe that people were more considerate in the past.

Not true at all. In fact we might be more civil now than ever before.

Not my job to give history lessons, look it up yourselves.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:25 PM

27,116 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Quote:

Nor a "rat's @ss" about spacing either.
That's a big block of letters there and some won't read it due to that.
Just like me, not past the first sentence.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:27 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
The OP is right about conservatives and libertarians being so in-your-face abusive and angry. I can't say for sure, but I've noticed it started happening around the time Rush Limbaugh and then Fox News became so popular. Republicans used to be so quiet and well-mannered that Nixon called them the Silent Majority ...... it was as if they were ashamed of their beliefs.

Oh, how I long to see those days again ....... actually though it's a good thing to see different views of issues, even the wrong-headed conservative beliefs deserve to be aired, and not shunned under political correctness ...... used to be that colleges and universities tried to reject that side of things through censoring student newspapers, working against conservative speakers, and hiring only lefties (I remember one newspaper ad for a professor of literature who was Marxist and I think deconstructionist or whatever that's called). Even good, decent liberals can become shrill and abandon reality if their beliefs are never challenged.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM

29,210 posts, read 22,341,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Yep.

It is the talk radio effect. The GOP is full of talk radio/Fox junkies who act like crazy soccer hooligans. They are addicted to their propaganda, and I am guessing many are getting older and a bit addled.
I agree. I think the Rush Limbaugh show did much to create how conservatives write, talk, and discuss politics now. Before Rush, there were plenty of conservative talk radio hosts, but the tone of those folks was much more polite, intellectual. Rush made loud and rude fashionable, and, in his early years, he had a lot of crude humor in his show which attracted listeners who weren't very political. Over the years, though, the humor disappeared and the anger took over.

For a lot of the open country, AM radio is still the only frequencies that can be picked up, and AM, by the 80's, had lost most of it's music stations to FM, where music sounded much better. Talk radio does not need high fidelity to work, so it became the AM staple, and AM was listened to in farms, ranches, small towns far away from an FM station, in forests and in factories and shops all over.

In the early days of talk radio, there were more non-political programs than political, and Rush got a big toe-hold on the market by giving the small AM broadcasters his show for free. The others all charged a fee for their shows. Rush's show was one of the first to find national advertisers on it's own, which really helped the struggling mom & pop stations, as they got a little slice of the advertising pie.

Rush had a decade of very little competition as well, so his show became the staple listening on the radios of a lot of old pickup trucks for 10 years. And he was young; all his first competition were mostly old, and most did not broadcast nationally. Those years were when Limbaugh taught the right how to act nasty, and they weren't challenged at all for a very long time.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,156,795 times
There's also something pernicious about the nature of radio propaganda, banjomike. Unlike other media, one listens to radio while preoccupied with other things, such as driving or working in a factory - one's full attention is elsewhere, so the radio message bypasses any conscious editing that might otherwise screen out irrational or questionable messages, and goes unchallenged into the subconscious, emotional mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies