Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 06:14 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,928,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
In some states , they aren't.

Florida uses Gentiva payroll, most of its outsourced to India. You can thank Wall Street for that. An MBA and CPA on the other forum has noted that Intl. licensing/Acctng certification standards is going global now, so all acctng can be outsorced.

All Bank of America and Wells Fargo Ops are primarily outsourced as well.
Those companies are govt owned, as is almost everything else. So I would say you can thank the govt for that. JPM et al were also outsourcing food stamps, also govt owned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 06:21 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,928,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I can tell you the area I lived in, the cost of living wasn't much different from where I'm at now. Electric bill was a lot less, water bill was about the same, housing prices are about the same if you don't live on the water.

Really, not that different.
Some northern areas have high cost of living, such as New York, but better salaries. FL water and electric is higher than much of the US,(You can find state by state reports) however it is the insurance that is really bad.

FL salaries don't keep up with COL. Insurance is a big cost in FL. Both auto and HO. HO is by far the worst though. They outdo the entire US w/ rare exception. FEMA is in process to hit all of the US up for more. Places like FL get hit harder.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,040,610 times
My wife got a full time job when the economy was even worse.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:47 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
I was laid off a few months ago and have received no less than 12 job offers. Right now I'm in negotiations with two companies, one in Seattle and one in Boston, so we'll see if I like either of them.

These have all been full time jobs, decent pay with benefits.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:30 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,313,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
From our daughters college most of the students went on to move back home and are enrolled in another study like our daughter went to Grad school after graduating with a double major in Finance & Accounting, Summa *** Laude and over 90 letters sent out.

We own a real estate company and property management and hear on a daily base people losing their homes due to foreclosure, short sales and not just because of the loss in value but due to cut in working hours, lost their job.....

Tenants who move out overnight or having to be evicted is also not a strange thing anymore due losing their job....Tenant

Very strange to hear of all the new jobs.....maybe another desperate thing to help Obama.....
She can't get any job? I find that hard to believe with a major in accounting/finance. Could it be that she needs to relocate to another city/state? Or is it that she has a higher pay expectation then the market will bare?

Old 10-10-2012, 03:50 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
The problem now with employers hiring part-time or underpayed employees is because the employers are now 'playing the system".
Many employers are taking on a few part timers so they don't have to give the employees full time status... health care, holidays etc. They would rather hire six part time instead of three full timers and keep their hours under 40 per week.
Full time employees are now being paid extremely low salaries and the employer knows it is hard for the employee to complain as they desperately need the job.
This a a situation created by employers..... not the President.
nonsense.

part of the FUTURE problem will be directly due to obamacare and the new burden placed on private employers. it is about a BROKE government trying to pull in some revenue. if americans think that these costs won't be passed onto the people with higher prices they are not paying attention.

obamacare is not a gift-it is a tax- in a bill not written by our congressmen/women and not read by most of them either.

if the stimulus money had actually been directed to job creation it would have made a heck of a difference-but i guess we found out there were no shovel ready jobs.

this administration was never put in place to benefit the american public, but to launder money:
http://www.oftwominds.com/blogoct12/...ring10-12.html

i think most americans who are paying attention understand that the federal reserve action will punish the poor-with low interest rates for savers, and rising inflation costs for everyone. demand for oil is actually LOWER in a recession/depression, but money poured into speculation drives up prices for everyone.

oh, and maybe quit bringing in more foreign and/or illegal workers if you have a problem with lower wages-it's not rocket science.

Last edited by floridasandy; 10-10-2012 at 04:18 AM..

Old 10-10-2012, 05:37 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Some northern areas have high cost of living, such as New York, but better salaries. FL water and electric is higher than much of the US,(You can find state by state reports) however it is the insurance that is really bad.

FL salaries don't keep up with COL. Insurance is a big cost in FL. Both auto and HO. HO is by far the worst though. They outdo the entire US w/ rare exception. FEMA is in process to hit all of the US up for more. Places like FL get hit harder.

You know nothing about Florida. People don't make salaries, their money comes from tips.

Waitresses make 6 figures. People drive 2 hours to get to the coast from defuniak springs and areas north of crest view to get to the coast to make that money.

The only salary employees are military contractors.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:41 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
Yes, several.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
I know a few people who recently got full time jobs. A cousin and friend of mind graduated in may with Master's degrees in Public Administration and both now have full time jobs making $40K and more per year. My cousin was on the "for profit" side while the friend studied in "non-profit" sector and government, she actually found a better paying position than my cousin with a historied community organization.

Just re-read the OP who stated his daughter has a degree in accounting and finance. She must not be looking hard enough, there are a lot of jobs around here for people in those fields and accounting especially. She should apply to the IRS, they are going to be hiring for tax season soon around here and they usually hire some temporary employees as well as permanent or temp to perm positions and since they are government, they offer great benefits. I would look there first and try to do some internships if I were in her position. With the passage of ACA, I'm sure the IRS will be looking to hire more people, also she may consider moving to Omaha and getting a job in the insurance industry. She must be limiting herself.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,766,724 times
Anyone here have any experience with getting in with an Embassy or Congressional work? I've thought about Lobbying too, but don't know much about that field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies