Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 03:47 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I don't recall the CBC saying that you couldn't join.

I network here in Columbus with the NWBO(national women's business owners') group. They're happy to have my input. I respect what their cause and I don't overstep my boundaries. I understand why the group exists.

No I can join, I'm black.

Whites can not join.

Here is a statement I found made about it when a white democrat tried to join.

"Quite simply, Rep. Cohen will have to accept what the rest of the country will have to accept—there has been an unofficial Congressional White Caucus for over 200 years, and now it's our turn to say who can join 'the club.' He does not, and cannot, meet the membership criteria, unless he can change his skin color. Primarily, we are concerned with the needs and concerns of the black population, and we will not allow white America to infringe on those objectives."

I don't agree with that, whites have helped blacks an awful lot. Some have lost their lives to advance the cause of black people. I am against racism, I don't care who is doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2012, 03:49 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,182,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
No I can join, I'm black.

Whites can not join.

Here is a statement I found made about it when a white democrat tried to join.

"Quite simply, Rep. Cohen will have to accept what the rest of the country will have to accept—there has been an unofficial Congressional White Caucus for over 200 years, and now it's our turn to say who can join 'the club.' He does not, and cannot, meet the membership criteria, unless he can change his skin color. Primarily, we are concerned with the needs and concerns of the black population, and we will not allow white America to infringe on those objectives."

I don't agree with that, whites have helped blacks an awful lot. Some have lost their lives to advance the cause of black people. I am against racism, I don't care who is doing it.
I could careless if whites join or not..........it's not that serious to me.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:53 PM

1,460 posts, read 2,807,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I could careless if whites join or not..........it's not that serious to me.

I Don't know that I care either. I didn't mean to show you up or anything. It was not really my intention. I don't really think the CBC is the source of racism in America, but it highlights a fact that any group can be exclusionary of others.

I know for many many years the leader of the NAACP was actually a white guy, which made little to know sense. Imagine that, it was not until 1975 that they had a black president.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post
I Don't know that I care either. I didn't mean to show you up or anything. It was not really my intention. I don't really think the CBC is the source of racism in America, but it highlights a fact that any group can be exclusionary of others.

I know for many many years the leader of the NAACP was actually a white guy, which made little to know sense. Imagine that, it was not until 1975 that they had a black president.
No worries........you didn't show me up. You corrected me. I open to being corrected.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:58 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
From my position, up here, north of the 49th paralell, it would seem that many Americans of whatever race, have a vested interest in NOT solving the problem.

I'm talking about those individuals and organisations that make a living from racial unrest, such as the NAACP, and the Black Panthers and the Black Muslims. And don't forget the Nation Of Islam, either.

Here in Canada, it is a very rare thing to have any one attempt to "play the race card " in connection with getting a job, or being admitted to a University. Imagine a country where getting a scholarship is actually based on "Scholarship " not race ? And the best "person for the job " actually gets the job ?

Of course, we also don't have the long and sordid history of racial animosity that the USA has, nor do we have the millions of dis-advantaged citizens who get second rate education and miserable living conditions, related to their racial identity.

Wiser men than I have agonized over this problem, for decades, I don't see it getting any better, any time soon. The powder keg fuse is just a few inches from the flame that is threatening to explode, again.

I'm old enough to remember standing in Windsor, Ontario in the summer of 1968, watching Detroit burn, just across the river, and listening to the sound of 50 caliber machine guns being fired by the Michigan National Guard troops.

Jim B

Toronto.
Oh please. I have many friends in Canada and they are VERY RACIST. They make racist black jokes to me ALL THE TIME and I am black. To say Canada is "somehow different" is disengenious. Racism is built into people. Plain and simple. Its not a political issue, its called "life."

I don't care how much of a free thinker, live and let live, hippy, left wing, love the world person you are. I don't care what your personal beliefs are.

I can GURANTEE if you are white, a feel you are not racist, you WOULD NOT walk down the street, at 98th Ave and Edes Ave in Oakland, tonight at around 2AM. I GURANTEE if you were walking down the street there now, and three black men, dressed like thugs or even decently dressed, you would:

1. Pull your purse/handbag closer to you.
2. Cross the street.
3. Pull your kids closer to you.

I GURANTEE you would not do this, if you were walking down Main St in Pleasanton, and three white men were walking toward you, wearing the same clothing. The only thing that changed in the scenario was race. Study, after study, after study, after study, has proven the points I have outlined.

It doesn't matter what part of the country, liberal or conservative, people are RACIST. I cannot begin to tell you all the things I've suffered over the years; and I live in the tolerant SF Bay Area.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:06 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,163 times
Ok, here is my theory.

1 - I have only experienced racism with less educated people (white and black)
2 - Some blacks still think that if I can pull the race card for something that happened generations ago that they will get something special treatment.
3 - Both whites and blacks that have a issue with race obviously have no understanding of history and have other underlying issues.
4 - Some whites still have the superiority complex, but again there are underlying issues they don't want to address...that would take away all heir meaning.

Racism is BS. It is just an excuse to hide behind when there are other factors at play, but the way society and media controls most people thoughts it is hard to have a intelligent conversation about it.

My $0.02, you don't have to agree or bash me if you don't

Old 10-05-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
Ok, here is my theory.

1 - I have only experienced racism with less educated people (white and black)
2 - Some blacks still think that if I can pull the race card for something that happened generations ago that they will get something special treatment.
3 - Both whites and blacks that have a issue with race obviously have no understanding of history and have other underlying issues.
4 - Some whites still have the superiority complex, but again there are underlying issues they don't want to address...that would take away all heir meaning.

Racism is BS. It is just an excuse to hide behind when there are other factors at play, but the way society and media controls most people thoughts it is hard to have a intelligent conversation about it.

My $0.02, you don't have to agree or bash me if you don't
This is a very good post...I wouldn't call racism in BS. The BS can hurt people. Hurting people for no reason isn't BS. When I say hurt I don't mean physically.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,079,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Oh please. I have many friends in Canada and they are VERY RACIST. They make racist black jokes to me ALL THE TIME and I am black. To say Canada is "somehow different" is disengenious. Racism is built into people. Plain and simple. Its not a political issue, its called "life."

I don't care how much of a free thinker, live and let live, hippy, left wing, love the world person you are. I don't care what your personal beliefs are.

I can GURANTEE if you are white, a feel you are not racist, you WOULD NOT walk down the street, at 98th Ave and Edes Ave in Oakland, tonight at around 2AM. I GURANTEE if you were walking down the street there now, and three black men, dressed like thugs or even decently dressed, you would:

1. Pull your purse/handbag closer to you.
2. Cross the street.
3. Pull your kids closer to you.

I GURANTEE you would not do this, if you were walking down Main St in Pleasanton, and three white men were walking toward you, wearing the same clothing. The only thing that changed in the scenario was race. Study, after study, after study, after study, has proven the points I have outlined.

It doesn't matter what part of the country, liberal or conservative, people are RACIST. I cannot begin to tell you all the things I've suffered over the years; and I live in the tolerant SF Bay Area.
Just because your experience tells you this does not mean mine does. I would have to say I have experienced very little racism. Have I experienced some, yes, but I know that is from ignorant individuals not society as a whole.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:33 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
You might want to revisit the 50s, 60s and 70s. It was Republicans that supported civil rights legislation.

Democrats were against it.

There were expections of course. But the Civil Rights movement could not have happened without the right. The majority of the left was against it.
It's easy to oversimplify this of course. For example there were many Southern Dems who were on the wrong side of history. But I don't think there is much question that it was the left that led the charge on reform. In the early days (50's & 60's) some black activists were not oriented towards collectivism (e.g. Robert F Williams). But the left offered an alliance, whereas the right did not. That's how we wound up with 90%+ of blacks voting for Democrats.

Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Just because your experience tells you this does not mean mine does. I would have to say I have experienced very little racism. Have I experienced some, yes, but I know that is from ignorant individuals not society as a whole.
I'd have to agree with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies