Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,705,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Nothing about the Republican party is based on Christian values. Discrimination, guns, corporate greed, catering to the rich, theocratic values, etc.
1. abortion
2. "gay marriage"
3. class warfare (envy, coveting)
4. giving the poor just enough money, but no jobs (slavery)

these are all things that the dems promote. They are all anti-Christian

Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
1. abortion
Not only permisible, but sometimes required under Jewish law. In fact, Jewish law quite graphically states a fetus should be ripped out of its mother limb from limb if necessary. Jesus was a Jew who followed Jewish law. Also never specifically mentioned in the Bible.

Quote:
2. "gay marriage"
Jesus said not a single word about gays. Homosexuality as a biological orientation was not discovered until 1900 A.D. 1900 years after Jesus walked the Earth. If you bothered to educate yourself instead of clinging to some crappy English translation of a 4000 year old text, you might realize this issue is not as clear as you want it to be. Quoting Leviticus or Romans out of context does not make your case.

Quote:
3. class warfare (envy, coveting)
An issue on both sides. Jesus also kinda created class warfare by pitting the outcasts against the religious conservatives. Guess who he sided with?

Quote:
4. giving the poor just enough money, but no jobs (slavery)
Jesus supported poverty, and rendering unto Caesar. The wealthy will not inherit God's kingdom. Slavery is also condoned throughout the Bible.

Quote:
these are all things that the dems promote. They are all anti-Christian
And you would be 100% wrong. Your lack of understanding of Christianity is duly noted, however.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I guess I hang out with different folks. Been white for 54 years and with the exception of my teen years, where boys will say almost anything for shock effect, I have heard few such comments.
There are three possible explanations here:

1. You live in a very progressive area.

2. You live an incredibly sheltered life.

3. You have redefined what constitutes prejudice.

I've seen #3 many times. You simply decide that certain statements aren't really prejudicial, so the people saying them aren't really prejudiced.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Not only permisible, but sometimes required under Jewish law. In fact, Jewish law quite graphically states a fetus should be ripped out of its mother limb from limb if necessary. Jesus was a Jew who followed Jewish law. Also never specifically mentioned in the Bible.

Jesus said not a single word about gays. Homosexuality as a biological orientation was not discovered until 1900 A.D. 1900 years after Jesus walked the Earth. If you bothered to educate yourself instead of clinging to some crappy English translation of a 4000 year old text, you might realize this issue is not as clear as you want it to be. Quoting Leviticus or Romans out of context does not make your case.

An issue on both sides. Jesus also kinda created class warfare by pitting the outcasts against the religious conservatives. Guess who he sided with?

Jesus supported poverty, and rendering unto Caesar. The wealthy will not inherit God's kingdom. Slavery is also condoned throughout the Bible.

And you would be 100% wrong. Your lack of understanding of Christianity is duly noted, however.
Thank you.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:43 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
There are three possible explanations here:

1. You live in a very progressive area.

2. You live an incredibly sheltered life.

3. You have redefined what constitutes prejudice.

I've seen #3 many times. You simply decide that certain statements aren't really prejudicial, so the people saying them aren't really prejudiced.
Of course, your observations could simply be based on you hearing what you wish to hear, or more likely, thinking one or two comments a year of a prejudicial nature has any real significance in the great scheme of things.

Why don't you define what constitutes prejudice? That might be a spot to start a debate.

I must confess being married to a Filipina, having hispanics for most of my friends, and living in a cosmopolitan city reduces the chances of a racist engaging in racist dialogue in my presence.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 AM

630 posts, read 1,264,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
You might be on to something, but you forgot to mention a few things.
1. Blacks voted for Obama by a HUGE majority
2. Buyers remorse. Look at what happened in the 2010 mid-terms! I think that is more relevant now than the 2008 election.
Blacks always vote Democratic by a large margin. But Obama was the first black nominee. Black people in the south have been willing to vote for white people for years. But southern whites have had much more of a problem voting for someone outside their race.

People hated Ronald Reagan in the 1982 midterms and the Republicans lost seats in congress. People hated Clinton in 1994 and the Republicans won both houses of congress for the first time in decades. Both presidents went on to win reelection two years later. It's an amateur mistake to assume that midterm elections are a good predictor of reelection campaigns.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:52 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Exactly. There are some incredibly bright people living here in Georgia but like you said there are unfortunately some not so bright people living here. Of course when I lived in Minnesota and California it was no different.

Exactly. People that think people are smarter because of the region of the US they live in are just plain stupid. People in the south are just as smart and just as stupid as any other region of this country. To think otherwise is just complete ignorance.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:57 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Exactly. People that think people are smarter because of the region of the US they live in are just plain stupid. People in the south are just as smart and just as stupid as any other region of this country. To think otherwise is just complete ignorance.
Actually, IQs, on average are lower in the South. Most of that due to a higher concentration of minorities whose IQs, on average, are lower than the population at large. What liberals do not state is the lower average Southern IQ is not near as much due to dumb white rednecks as it is dumb, mostly liberal voting, minorities.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:04 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Actually, IQs, on average are lower in the South. Most of that due to a higher concentration of minorities whose IQs, on average, are lower than the population at large. What liberals do not state is the lower average Southern IQ is not near as much due to dumb white rednecks as it is dumb, mostly liberal voting, minorities.
I think you mean "democratic" voting, minorities. I hardly consider the majority of Southern state minorities to be liberal.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:10 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,948,920 times
Quote:

You are certainly right. The old slave holding states have a much higher concentration of minorities than any other region of the country. When the ignorant liberals try to convince themselves that Southern people are dumb and stupid, they fail to realize this and show their stupidity. And it is getting to the point of being ridiculous. Some of them like to claim that they are so smart, but show just the opposite with their ignorant post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies