Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 02:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,355,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The theory behind some of the policing is that if you take care of the little problems like parking violations, then you stop a lot of the big problems. Tie that together with community policing and you start to see drops in the overall crime rate.

Now, you'll never get rid of all crime: every town will have drug dealers, B&E guys, random crimes of opportunity like thefts from cars but you'll end up with less. Ask your local department how often a simple traffic stop for speeding ends up with an arrest for something else. And yes, some of those will be drug related which offends some of you.

It doesn't really seem to work out that way here. Garden variety crimes such as car theft and burglary are brushed aside by police. Say your car is stolen, and you have an idea of who did it. The cops will not pursue it; they just do the minimal paperwork so that you can collect on insurance if you have it.

The county sheriff even proposed that property crimes under $10,000 not be investigated, as a way to reduce costs when they were having budget problems.
Local News | King County sheriff says property crimes take back seat with budget cuts | Seattle Times Newspaper

The one petty crime that they never seem to let up on is prostitution. IMO they consider it a good way to gain experience in undercover work without much risk of anyone getting hurt. Plus probably a way for some officers to get laid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 02:35 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It doesn't really seem to work out that way here. Garden variety crimes such as car theft and burglary are brushed aside by police. Say your car is stolen, and you have an idea of who did it. The cops will not pursue it; they just do the minimal paperwork so that you can collect on insurance if you have it.

The county sheriff even proposed that property crimes under $10,000 not be investigated, as a way to reduce costs when they were having budget problems.
Local News | King County sheriff says property crimes take back seat with budget cuts | Seattle Times Newspaper

The one petty crime that they never seem to let up on is prostitution. IMO they consider it a good way to gain experience in undercover work without much risk of anyone getting hurt. Plus probably a way for some officers to get laid.

Then you need to unelect the current Sheriff and get a new one, that's what we finally did here. Going back a couple posts, the reason you're seeing seat belt patrols right now is a national program called Smooth Operator. Grants from the Feds to do seat belt enforcement.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:46 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,882,748 times
Overpaid local police are something of an inevitability because who wants to be known in town - and by extension by the town cops - as that guy agitating for lower police pay/numbers?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,960,110 times
Cops are revenue collectors for the state mainly... That's why they give out tickets for infractions of the law. teachers in theory teach, Fire Fighters fight fire, and if you have any sort of real emergency you would want to call the Fire Dept first because they will come!

The term "To Serve and Protect" does not mean the cops are your personal body guards. So really if you have a bad situation on hand call the Fire dept 1st.

I could live the rest of my days on Earth with no cops.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:52 PM

45,354 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Cops are revenue collectors for the state mainly... That's why they give out tickets for infractions of the law. teachers in theory teach, Fire Fighters fight fire, and if you have any sort of real emergency you would want to call the Fire Dept first because they will come!

The term "To Serve and Protect" does not mean the cops are your personal body guards. So really if you have a bad situation on hand call the Fire dept 1st.

You could but most can't. There are bad guys out there and if some of them thought they could get the drop on you they would. I'm not saying this to start an argument.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:57 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Yes everybody hates cops! Until you need one!

Old 10-07-2012, 02:58 PM

635 posts, read 539,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

Tell us how Somalia was, when you get back.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 PM

I have suffered bad guys before. I shot one with the phone in my other hand, as the cops were telling me they were not my personal body guards. That is exactly how i know the cops are not my personal body guards too. I picked a hell of a time to learn that life's lesson.

I re-learned that lesson the harder way at Easter 1999 when my in laws were stabbed to death and the Fire Dept beat Swat by 2.5 hours! SWAT musta been having a hard time getting the armored car running or maybe they forgot what they did with the bullets or something...... I will bank on the Fire Dept from now on. They will come.

Me, I just carry a gun because a Fire Man is too heavy..... The hell with the cops.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Yes everybody hates cops! Until you need one!
Never yet needed one when they would come...

Old 10-07-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qr5667 View Post
Tell us how Somalia was, when you get back.
HUH? 'how Somalia was'???? You a pirate or something? Do you have a point or are your reading skills just poor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies