Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Defunding leading to death...
I say defunding leading to death that might have been avoided with the funding that the POTUS requested is a bit worse, but that is just my humble opinion.

There was no cover up, there was however an intense effort to not jump the gun.
Oh lord!!!! Can you provide a link from a reliable source showing that funds were cut back from or were not available to the embassy in Libya which lead to the deaths, especially since Charlene Lamb, under oath, said FUNDING WAS NOT AN ISSUE!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
This entire thread seems remarkably removed from reality.

Why was the Ambassador in Benghazi?

Who knew the most about the security in Benghazi?

Who had been in the area since before the Revolution was complete?

Who was an expert on the area and spoke Arabic?

Who decided on the security level needed on this trip?

He was wrong and paid a steep price...but it was his decision.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,715 times
Quote:
[lvoc;26461293]This entire thread seems remarkably removed from reality.

Because he was appointed to the post by Obama?

Those who where there?

The compound consisted of villas - homes. They were probably vacated during the revolution.

Probably the Libyans they were working with? Don't embassies have translators?.

The final decision regarding security fell to Charlene Lamb, who testified at the Congressional hearing today.

He was a diplomat who put his faith in the US that they would do what was necessary to protect him. Maybe he was wrong - to put his faith in this administration to do the right thing.

Anything else you need to know?

Talk about getting in touch with reality.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times

Because he was appointed to the post by Obama?

He was not based in Benghazi. He rtesided in Tripoli. Any visit to Benghazi was on his own dime.

Those who where there?

The Ambassador who owned Security in Benghazi...though he resided in Tripoli.

The compound consisted of villas - homes. They were probably vacated during the revolution.

The Ambassador.

Probably the Libyans they were working with? Don't embassies have translators?.

The Ambassador

The final decision regarding security fell to Charlene Lamb, who testified at the Congressional hearing today.

The Ambassador. He went only where he chose to go.

He was a diplomat who put his faith in the US that they would do what was necessary to protect him. Maybe he was wrong - to put his faith in this administration to do the right thing.

Anything else you need to know?

Talk about getting in touch with reality.[/quote]

He was the decision maker in all of this. He knew the area. He spoke Arabic. He chose, with full knowledge to go to Benghazi.

It is amazing people would care so much about this topic without ever learning the basics.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:27 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,239 times
This admin cant even BS right

Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 PM

59,028 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Dana Milbank picked up on the same problem: inadequate diplomatic security is the direct result of Republican budget cuts.

For fiscal 2013, the GOP-controlled House proposed spending $1.934 billion for the State Department's Worldwide Security Protection program -- well below the $2.15 billion requested by the Obama administration. House Republicans cut the administration's request for embassy security funding by $128 million in fiscal 2011 and $331 million in fiscal 2012. (Negotiations with the Democrat-controlled Senate restored about $88 million of the administration's request.) Last year, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton warned that Republicans' proposed cuts to her department would be "detrimental to America's national security" -- a charge Republicans rejected.

Ryan, Issa and other House Republicans voted for an amendment in 2009 to cut $1.2 billion from State operations, including funds for 300 more diplomatic security positions. Under Ryan's budget, non-defense discretionary spending, which includes State Department funding, would be slashed nearly 20 percent in 2014, which would translate to more than $400 million in additional cuts to embassy security.

The GOP's embassy security problem - The Maddow Blog

GOP...Hypocrites and liars all.
Still with the juvenile name calling I see.

I don't think money was the issue:

"In fiscal year 2011, OBO announced the opening of 10 new diplomatic missions in Kiev, Monrovia, Mumbai, Djibouti, Dubai, Tijuana, Riga, Valetta, Bucharest and Suva. In 2010, seven new facilities opened. OBO said it also has an additional 41 projects in design or under construction. Most recently for example, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton broke ground on a new embassy compound in Rabat, Morocco, on Feb. 26. The 8.5-acre site will house a state-of-the-art, multi-building complex that includes a chancery and Marine security guard quarters and will employ roughly 300 employees. The $187 million project will also incorporate various sustainable features, including lights that automatically dim, reduced water-use plumbing fixtures and rain gardens, with an eye on attaining the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver Certification by the Green Building Certification Institute.
America

It appears to me they could have moved some of these dollars for more security.

Is winning a "green" award worth more then ample security?

Are you saying they had the money to build 10 new places but, don't have the money to fully provide security for them?

Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayiask View Post
If the goal is true discussion and agreement on a subject then maybe it would be helpful if both the thread titles and OP's were just a little less derogatory towards one side or another. Who is going to respond reasonably to a thread when they are already basically called pieces of crap in the title and the OP?

Get over yourselves and start putting out information that is OPEN to discussion if that is what you truly want. Somehow, I don't think that is the case, but it would be refreshing.
Very well said.

One almost has to be a masochist in order to disagree with the majority in THIS thread.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Oh lord!!!! Can you provide a link from a reliable source showing that funds were cut back from or were not available to the embassy in Libya which lead to the deaths, especially since Charlene Lamb, under oath, said FUNDING WAS NOT AN ISSUE!!!
Calm down. Get a grip. Your being "right" on this issue is not what determines your value. Why do you make it so personal?

Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,499,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Very well said.

One almost has to be a masochist in order to disagree with the majority in THIS thread.
Would be nice if I WAS responding to THIS thread. Originally I responded to another thread that somehow got merged with this one. Don't know why..........

Old 10-10-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
FF claiming that she/he is some sort of legal wiz when it is obvious that his/her legal knowledge could fit into a thimble.
The above is personal and it is offensive.

PUT UP OR SHUT UP. PROVE YOUR ACCUSATION. Find one post, just one will do, where I have made the claim that I am a "legal wiz"...or legal "expert" and post it.............You are the one here making claims about your superior "legal knowledge"...not me. I am so ignorant in the legal field that people actually pay me fairly well for doing the work I do. In fact, I'm so bad that I am self-employed and actually have contracts for lots of work. Actually, I'm so very ignorant and such a "loser" in the legal field that I've even supported my self very well doing this work for over 15 years.

So, either put up a link to any such claim of "legal wiz" or expert that I have made or stop harping on your made up claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies