Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well this is 100% Dem. Reid, Pelosi, Obama and the Dems in Congress because no Republicans voted for this.
That is the one completely real thing and if you look at the Supreme Court every leaner there voted for it and I am not sure any of them really read much of it, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Sit tight...this thread will quickly turn into a "Red Lobster, Olive Garden, etc sucks and nobody should eat there anyway" whinefest.
Do you suppose the leaners will come screaming about boycotting those businesses? I bet some of them do just that.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
The price of food is going up. Restaurants have to do what they have to do to make ends meet.
That law was written to force this very thing or for the owners to have to pay fines if they drop insurance for full timers. Those who wrote the law knew what they were doing and that nobody in either house of Congress would read it before they voted on it. Dems will be eating this for a long time but there is a chance that Justice Roberts will be eating it for a long time, also, and he should have to.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,587 times
Quote:
The price of food is going up. Restaurants have to do what they have to do to make ends meet.

Oh, I didnt know that. I better call Obama on behalf of the restaurant and get them on food stamps

Old 10-09-2012, 10:23 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
I never thought I'd see the day when conservatives expressed concern over impoverished Mexican restaurant employees.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
I never thought I'd see the day when conservatives expressed concern over impoverished Mexican restaurant employees.
Thats because you always think government creates jobs, while we know government destroys them.. This is a prime example.

not wanting government involved in our life, doesnt mean we arent concerned about people.. Case in point..

Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats because you always think government creates jobs, while we know government destroys them.. This is a prime example.

not wanting government involved in our life, doesnt mean we arent concerned about people.. Case in point..
The right doesn't want government involved in their lives? News to me!

Both of the major parties like government involvement, just in different areas... only the Libertarians seem to really want smaller government, which is why I started associating myself with them instead of the Dems. As for Obamacare, I honestly didn't even realize it had gone into effect yet. Was this restaurant not offering full-timers health benefits until now? That's not cool.

Oh wait, it says they're only conducting an experiment at this point - so that was their decision, not the government's move. Pretty sleazy to reduce worker hours just to avoid insuring them, IMO. Do you guys really think somebody working 30+ hours shouldn't receive benefits? Especially considering how little a restaurant worker earns, that's a pretty sure-fire way to get more people on public health programs. Right?

Old 10-09-2012, 10:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
The right doesn't want government involved in their lives? News to me!

Both of the major parties like government involvement, just in different areas... only the Libertarians seem to really want smaller government, which is why I started associating myself with them instead of the Dems. As for Obamacare, I honestly didn't even realize it had gone into effect yet. Was this restaurant not offering full-timers health benefits until now? That's not cool.

Oh wait, it says they're only conducting an experiment at this point - so that was their decision, not the government's move. Pretty sleazy to reduce worker hours just to avoid insuring them, IMO. Do you guys really think somebody working 30+ hours shouldn't receive benefits? Especially considering how little a restaurant worker earns, that's a pretty sure-fire way to get more people on public health programs. Right?
If you had read the story, they were offering health insurance to full time employees, but now they need to cut back on the number of full time employees because of the cost, and that they were analizing costs which would begin in 2014, and starting to make changes now.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:00 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Most chains are cutting their FT employees. The bank bailouts from 2008 have still reverberated into a recession, businesses fail.

Lowe's Home Improvement in many states now ONLY hires workers for 20 hour work weeks. They arent needing more workers because there are no customers. Domino effect of a bad economy.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Aside from healthcare, those employees will have to look for a second part-time job, which will have to accommodate their other part-time hours, just to make the same full-time income.

Two jobs suck, many can't even find one.
We knew this, part of the disasters, was coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies