U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 AM
 
Location: the AZ desert
5,037 posts, read 7,756,187 times
Reputation: 8256

Advertisements

Darden tests limiting worker hours as health-care changes loom


"In an experiment apparently aimed at keeping down the cost of health-care reform, Orlando-based Darden Restaurants has stopped offering full-time schedules to many hourly workers in at least a few Olive Gardens, Red Lobsters and LongHorn Steakhouses."


"Analysts say many other companies, including the White Castle hamburger chain, are considering employing fewer full-timers because of key features of the Affordable Care Act scheduled to go into effect in 2014. Under that law, large companies must provide affordable health insurance to employees working an average of at least 30 hours per week."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:04 PM
 
7,541 posts, read 5,351,104 times
Reputation: 1833
then those workers can purchase their own insurance through their state or fed govt.

I worked part-time hours for nearly 8 years (since High school) and had to fund my own insurance payments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:18 PM
 
Location: the AZ desert
5,037 posts, read 7,756,187 times
Reputation: 8256
Aside from healthcare, those employees will have to look for a second part-time job, which will have to accommodate their other part-time hours, just to make the same full-time income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:29 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,922 posts, read 7,839,978 times
Reputation: 2035
Companies here are now taking full advantage of the severe job losses and companies closing down because of the recession long before Obamacare was even passed. Companies like Disney have been employing part time staff for many years now, not because of Obamacare but because it means the employee cannot get full time benefits.
Many Companies now only have part time positions because they can give minimum wage and boost their profits and not have to give options of good health cover to part time employees........... nothing to do with Obamacare at all.... good excuse though.
Obamacare hasn't fully kicked in yet so NO employer can in any way know how it will affect them but they do know that over quite a few years now health cover has become more and more and more expensive and that is why companies do not want full time employees so they aren't obligated to give the expensive health cover.
No way can a health system that isn't yet in place be a reason for the explosion of part time jobs but as i said, Obamacare is a great excuse to not employ full time staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM
 
7,541 posts, read 5,351,104 times
Reputation: 1833
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Aside from healthcare, those employees will have to look for a second part-time job, which will have to accommodate their other part-time hours, just to make the same full-time income.
an how is this different from 10 years ago? I grew up knowing several families where parents worked 2-3 jobs to help support their family.

obamcare has nothing to do with this, since its always been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:35 PM
 
5,787 posts, read 3,974,495 times
Reputation: 849
Obama knew fro the get go that ObamaCare would cause employer funded health care insurance premiums to skyrocket and therefore put them out of business.

Once they were out of the way, everyone would be forced onto the government health care programs.

I predicted this would happen before the ACA was even passed.

I also predicted full-time employees would be reduced to part-time so that the companies wouldn't have to give them health care insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 PM
 
5,787 posts, read 3,974,495 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
an how is this different from 10 years ago? I grew up knowing several families where parents worked 2-3 jobs to help support their family.

However, as the last unemployment statistics prove, there has been a dramatic increase of people having to resort to multiple jobs.

....and of course Liberals will STILL try and say that the economy is improving!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM
 
5,787 posts, read 3,974,495 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
.
Obamacare hasn't fully kicked in yet so NO employer can in any way know how it will affect them but they do know that over quite a few years now health cover has become more and more and more expensive and that is why companies do not want full time employees so they aren't obligated to give the expensive health cover.

I'm a small business owner and i WANT to offer a good health care plan to my employees.

Offering that is a perk which attracts the best people.....the best and the brightest will go elsewhere for employment if they can get better perks from another company.

But the FACT is that while my employee health insurance bill increased every year by a couple percentage points, since ObamaCare passed it has EXPLODED!!!

There's nothing affordable about the Affordable Health Care Act.

Oh...and to say no employer can know how it will affect them is a ridiculous statement. It's next to impossible to READ the darned thing, that's true. But I also pay people to do just that and put it into plain English for me. I can see the writing on the wall where if this monstrosity of a law isn't repealed, I will have no choice but to force employees to pay a portion of their benefits, stop giving that benefit completely, make them hourly part-timers, or dump it completely and let them either get their own insurance or go on the lesser government program.

None of that improves my employees station in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 01:03 PM
 
Location: California
30,702 posts, read 33,484,787 times
Reputation: 26125
If that happens then so be it. Heath insurance shouldn't be tied to full time employment anyway. That's the whole fracking point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2012, 01:04 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,922 posts, read 7,839,978 times
Reputation: 2035
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
I'm a small business owner and i WANT to offer a good health care plan to my employees.

Offering that is a perk which attracts the best people.....the best and the brightest will go elsewhere for employment if they can get better perks from another company.

But the FACT is that while my employee health insurance bill increased every year by a couple percentage points, since ObamaCare passed it has EXPLODED!!!

There's nothing affordable about the Affordable Health Care Act.

Oh...and to say no employer can know how it will affect them is a ridiculous statement. It's next to impossible to READ the darned thing, that's true. But I also pay people to do just that and put it into plain English for me. I can see the writing on the wall where if this monstrosity of a law isn't repealed, I will have no choice but to force employees to pay a portion of their benefits, stop giving that benefit completely, make them hourly part-timers, or dump it completely and let them either get their own insurance or go on the lesser government program.

None of that improves my employees station in life.
So you are telling me that a system (Obamacare) that is going to hugely increase the number of people getting private health cover will increase premiums? Not sure how premiums should go up if the Companies are getting more revenue.
Maybe the Insurance companies are now using the ignorance about Obamacare to scare people by raising their premiums even though Obamacare is increasing the number of premium payers. Too many here are susceptible to the "scare tactics" of big corporations etc who know they can manipulate people with fear.
We can only know if Obamacare is making premiums higher when it is implemented in 2014.... until then it is just fear based speculation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top