Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sci Fi Fan View Post
You don't have any idea what you're talking about, do you?

If women were on an equal footing with men, why is the vast majority of Congress male? Oops.
Probably because over 90% of people who run for Congress are male.

Can't vote a woman in if there aint one to vote for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 08:47 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,637,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And a seemingly but sadly common slam is, "you're worse than a woman," whenever someone shows a perceived weakness or undesirable trait. It's so deeply ingrained and internalized in our society that I've even heard women say that.
There's many misogynistic or women-put downs that are deeply ingrained and internalized in our society such as using 'like a girl' as an insult and 'like a boy' as a compliment such as in sporting or debate events.

Different opinions on the 'sad' bit as it's not sad to me rather refreshing reminder of my lack of compassion for certain others.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
How much more power do women want? Most women are on a power trip. Men cater to women hand and foot these days. I think feminism started out as a very good cause back in the 1950s, when women were treated badly. But we have clearly gone way beyond equality. Just look around and see how arrogant and materialistic the female population is today. Do you ladies honestly feel that the AVERAGE woman is discriminated against? I just have trouble feeling much sympathy for the average women these days, with their Prada bags and Gucci purses. It seems to me like most ladies have it pretty good these days.

I think some of the American feminists are actually mocking the women around the world who are truly suffering. Women in middle eastern countries. Domestic violence victims. There are many women in the world and right here in the US who have causes that are really worth fighting for. If the feminists were focused on helping THESE women, i think a lot more people would join their cause. Then again, i'm a man, so what do i know?
You must hang out with a pretty wealthy crowd if the average woman in your circle is carrying Prada.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:34 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
They should be complaining about the one thing that most feminists suffer from....the way they look.

I've never met a pretty feminist.

It's proven over and over again that pretty, nice people rise higher in their fields.

Frumpy, angry women are their own worst enemies.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:40 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They should be complaining about the one thing that most feminists suffer from....the way they look.

It's proven over and over again that pretty, nice people rise higher in their fields.

A woman who believes in equal rights can't be pretty and nice?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

Gloria Steinham was gorgeous....and yes, you HAVE met feminists who were good looking but they probably didn't have the big "F" embroidered on their blouse.

But that's not the point.

DECENT intelligent people don't judge on looks OR sex.

Unattractive women's (and men's) worst enemy are Really Stupid People who judge others on their looks rather than their ability.

All in all I'd say you just don't know many women.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 AM

465 posts, read 507,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
I didn't say they should as I don't do should/shouldn't unless it's illegal or involves harming children/animals.

I did say it'd be suited to.

I think it'd be better suited to have less misogyny and gender discrimination in male professions.

I think it'd be best suited to have women who want to be in male professions do so on similar footing as men.

I highly doubt either of that will be happening any century soon so...I think it's suited for women to let the boys play with themselves than get shortchanged because they were born the wrong gender.
if women never challenge it and go in those professions then it will never change though...if Rosa Parks had just sat in the back of the bus and there were no marches there would still be segregation...if not for Susan B. Anthony women would still not have the right to vote...the only way things get challenged and changed is by brave people challenging the status quo so just letting men "play with themselves" in these professions will guarantee that women will never get into these professions

Old 10-11-2012, 10:48 AM

465 posts, read 507,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
I didn't say they should as I don't do should/shouldn't unless it's illegal or involves harming children/animals.

I did say it'd be suited to.

I think it'd be better suited to have less misogyny and gender discrimination in male professions.

I think it'd be best suited to have women who want to be in male professions do so on similar footing as men.

I highly doubt either of that will be happening any century soon so...I think it's suited for women to let the boys play with themselves than get shortchanged because they were born the wrong gender.
Also it wasn't long ago that women were seen as not good doctors but now most people (including me) have had many qualified female doctors and most people don't think twice. In the 50s 60s and even 70s it was almost unheard of but now it's fairly common. When males saw females in huge numbers doing what they do they showed them respect. I think if there was say 30% female mechanics then things would change fairly quickly.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:44 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,901,187 times
There is a reason why there are more males than females in TOP jobs. When IQ gets to a certain level males start becoming disproportionately represented, and the difference is more extreme the higher IQ you go. When it gets to genius levels at 145, it is a 7 to 1 ratio of men to women. Men also overwhelmingly represent the incredibly stupid and the lower the IQ, the more it is skewed to men.

Men and women are different, deal with it.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:40 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,179,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
A woman who believes in equal rights can't be pretty and nice?
Regardless of whether they are attractive or not, feminists do not believe in equal rights. They believe in men today being scapegoats for the wrongs of men in past generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies