Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 08:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
It's just a fact that men have bought sex for centuries a lot of my friends and family have and some of them are old enough to where the second wave of feminism hadn't hit yet...so she's not saying it about feminists (which feminists disagree on the sex trade anyway) it's about real life men pay for sex there's a reason prostitution is known as the oldest profession
Sorry. That's so circular it's spherical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 09:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
seems you understood that acknowledging sex being treated like a commodity isn't necessarily regarding sex as a commodity.
Ah, denial. "It's not just a river anymore."

Old 10-12-2012, 09:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
*Sigh* The point was that you are your own enemy, by engaging in the kind of -- yes -- commodity-mongering that men are often accused of. BY feminists.

Or is that too subtle for you?

You're not my enemy, pixie. You're only hurting yourself.
Acknowledging prostitution's existence in my opinion isn't commodity-mongering.

Seems the difference between acknowledgement and regarding/participation is too subtle for you.

I wasn't stating that you called me your enemy but that you called me the enemy ala 'You met the enemy - he is you'.

I highly doubt I'm hurting myself by acknowledging prostitution exists.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:24 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamscott View Post
The problem in my eyes is that a lot of men, are still sexist and blame it on 60 years ago. Women have had to fight for every scrap they've gotten. I was born in '78 and until '92 there wasn't rape laws in all states yet. In many states you get less time if you hospitalize and rape your wife, than if you did that to a stranger (including in my state TN, and the state I spent the first 13 years of my life VA) I know many men that still don't think it's even possible to rape your wife that she should just give in.

On every show from MTV stories to other shows I've watched from the 80s to present men brag about drugging women and then having sex with them and claiming it's not rape. You can see articles like that just by searching rape in the askmen.com and many other online magazines. It's mostly men that hit women and not the other way around. I worry way more about those things than a woman getting the occasional free beer. And btw we all know that if she accepts that beer or wears clothes that makes him feel entitled he'll start grabbing.

The occupy movements as well as others, have had rapes happen and women were told to just shut up. That's why many of my friends both male and female were no longer involved. That's male entitlement that women don't feel. Men grab women's a**es all the time in public, and that's not counting waitresses who they know can't say/do anything about it. I'm not talking about all men, but I am talking about the ones that you and I both know glorify rape or deny certain forms of rape. I know many men I won't have anything to do with and neither will my gf because of their attitudes. My gf and I are both egalitarians, but to say that either women or men don't face challenges is wrong. Most feminists I know just want to stop rape and oppression. Yes you have your occasional feminazi but those are the exceptions, that's like saying because you and I are men we're rapists, so I don't get your argument at all. You're talking about 10% of the women.

And about the divorce rate, people used to die in a relationship for at least 2 reasons. You couldn't divorce unless it was abusive or there was an affair (provable at that). And no. 2 people lived a lot less longer time so they had to put up with a spouse 15-20 years until about the 1950s. Most nice ladies taught their women to be feminists in the 50s because of what they saw in men. There's many feminists happily married to men or at least in a ltr with men...kathleen hanna, rebecca walker, holly near, etc. (who's mom is fanatical) rebecca esp. is involved in 3rd wave feminism. 3rd wave feminism is the feminism of the 90s where women and men are seen as equals and men aren't vilified check her out and the 3rd wave feminists as well. Many women were turned off eventually by the 2nd wave as more and more women went more and more fanatical.

Do women really get their body parts grabbed a lot, by random men? How often does this happen? Especially sad to see it happen to waitresses who are dependent on their jobs and cannot easily escape the situation. That s*** needs to stop, for sure. I can definitely understand the anger over that.

I do think there are more femi-nazi's, so to speak, than just a handful.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:27 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
Do women really get their body parts grabbed a lot, by random men? How often does this happen? Especially sad to see it happen to waitresses who are dependent on their jobs and cannot easily escape the situation. That s*** needs to stop, for sure. I can definitely understand the anger over that.

Some women get their body parts grabbed a lot by random men.

Perhaps look into street harassment and Hollaback sites to see an inclination of the frequency of such depending on the area. It seems in southern states it's more aggressive however in northern states it's more likely to lead to attempted rape and physical assault like a beating.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:28 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
Men want sex.

Women want money and status.

That sums the whole issue up really.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:31 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
There is a reason why there are more males than females in TOP jobs. When IQ gets to a certain level males start becoming disproportionately represented, and the difference is more extreme the higher IQ you go. When it gets to genius levels at 145, it is a 7 to 1 ratio of men to women. Men also overwhelmingly represent the incredibly stupid and the lower the IQ, the more it is skewed to men.

Men and women are different, deal with it.
Yes, for example we know that women on average have better verbal/ language skills than men.

The Raven Progressive Matrices Test which was used by Richard Lynn who made that claim about genius ratios, is an IQ test that minimizes the measurement of verbal/language skills.

We also know that people with Austism Spectrum Disorders like Asberger's Syndrome (most commonly male), also do better on that type of test than tests that also include measurement of verbal/language skills.

This has nothing to do with why more males than females are in 'top' jobs.

Last edited by Ceist; 10-12-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 10-12-2012, 09:32 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,336 times
This is why women should stay at home with the kids, ie: they know how to talk to them better.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post

I got a breast grabbed when I was a bartender by the manager.
I knocked him over the head with a bottle of Jim Beam and walked out.
I grabbed a bottle of Makers before I left.

Old 10-12-2012, 09:42 PM

1,791 posts, read 3,181,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I got a breast grabbed when I was a bartender by the manager.
I knocked him over the head with a bottle of Jim Beam and walked out.
I grabbed a bottle of Makers before I left.
Sorry to hear that. Good for you hitting him in the head, hopefully you knocked him out??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies