Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:59 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think it is natural to have kids. In a way, not having kids is like committing suicide. Having kids in a way is extending yourself (your genes) on in time. Not committing suicide is like living tomorrow.

Also, having kids allows me to give away my estate when I die.

Having kids allows me to receive tax credits and claim exemptions.

Having kids allows me to get services (for example, public schools) I paid property taxes for.

Having kids provides me with free labor around the house.

Having kids provides me with protection when they get older.

Having kids is one form of social security (as practiced by the majority of the world's population).

I can use the car pool lane with a kid in the car.

Next Question?
So it was all for purely selfish reasons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I find the ones that really struggle with parenthood and happiness are the ones that think having a baby is going to change everything for the better. I know several women that thought having a baby would improve their marriage. If anything, having children adds a whole other stress level to a marriage.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Trolling? Hi Pot, I'm Kettle.
you called yourself a troll too nice comeback, bro.

i know many people in this forum may think that everyone should reproduce or it's a waste of a life, but the person above is a prime example of someone who should not be allowed to reproduce.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:26 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Ok, so as a dink yeah, there,d be more money. But you know what, quite frankly no money in the world can bring an iota of the happiness that our children bring us. Having our children is a blessing. Nothing can compare to the joy they bring us and I'm grateful everyday to God for them.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Some people probably are happier never having kids -- but for me kids are an important part of my happiness. It's like anything, if someone really wants a dog, not having a dog isn't going to make them happy, a dog will. Or a cat, or a horse. I think money is what many people think will make them happy but it doesn't.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:41 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
you called yourself a troll too nice comeback, bro.

i know many people in this forum may think that everyone should reproduce or it's a waste of a life, but the person above is a prime example of someone who should not be allowed to reproduce.
No I didn't can you comprehend anything? It means hypocrisy. It mean you are calling me something (that I may or not be) but you really are that what you're claiming. Kid, you really are trying to hard to be clever. If I'm not "qualified" to reproduce then you shouldn't have even been born with reproductive organs.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think it is natural to have kids. In a way, not having kids is like committing suicide. Having kids in a way is extending yourself (your genes) on in time. Not committing suicide is like living tomorrow.

Also, having kids allows me to give away my estate when I die.

Having kids allows me to receive tax credits and claim exemptions.

Having kids allows me to get services (for example, public schools) I paid property taxes for.

Having kids provides me with free labor around the house.

Having kids provides me with protection when they get older.

Having kids is one form of social security (as practiced by the majority of the world's population).

I can use the car pool lane with a kid in the car.

Next Question?
1. Mother Teresa never had children but she had more of an impact on the world than as many children you can reproduce.

2. You can give your estate to anyone.

3. So, you're a leech? I think CF people should get school tax breaks.

4. They are slaves now?

5. That's not always true. Ask my best friend.

6. Prove it.

7. So, you carry your child around everywhere?

You're really coming across like a disgraceful human being right now.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:57 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,156,006 times
I only arrived here because this thread appears on the side of the screen at the Politics forum.

You parents couldn't possibly look more defensive and overly sensitive than you do right now. We now have data to validate what many of us non-parents have observed anecdotally for years: Parents aren't all that happy. In fact, many of you are fairly miserable due to your choice to have kids. And, unfortunately, the data seems to show that even when the kids finally leave the house, you don't reach the level of contentment that married adults who don't have children achieve.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:20 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I only arrived here because this thread appears on the side of the screen at the Politics forum.

You parents couldn't possibly look more defensive and overly sensitive than you do right now. We now have data to validate what many of us non-parents have observed anecdotally for years: Parents aren't all that happy. In fact, many of you are fairly miserable due to your choice to have kids. And, unfortunately, the data seems to show that even when the kids finally leave the house, you don't reach the level of contentment that married adults who don't have children achieve.
What a silly comparison. Thanks for sharing your two cents. Listen you don't want kids? WHO CARES. That's your choice, just like having children is a choice. These CF debates are pointless. You aren't bemoaning your child free state, and guess what? I'm not bemoaning my state as a parent.

Ps ..our lives couldn't be any more content. Thanks for your concern.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,924 times
Well I want kids, but due to a mix of biologic and economic reasons am currently childless. I can tell you I am miserable. I love my husband and am very happy with my marriage, but I can't escape the feeling that something is missing. I'm not naive. I know all about the sleepless nights, diapers, terrible twos, and the teenage years and I say bring them on! For someone who wants a child and has an idea what they're getting into, I'd expect them to be happier with than without. For someone who expects a perfect angel and gets a real kid instead maybe it's different. And in the end I'd rather be fulfilled than happy anyway, but maybe that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies