Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,338,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It seems to be among a small but vocal segment of the black population, anybody who is successful and works their way off welfare and out of the 'hood has sold out to the white man.
As usual, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 10:01 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
African immigrants have been coming long before the CRA. Who do you think founded Abyssinia Church in Harlem in the 19th century? My dad came on a student visa that he earned for doing well in school it had nothing to do with AAs.

I know Obamabots like to take credit for the achievements of others but it won't fly.

African immigrants would not have had the vast majority of their current opportunities in 2012 had my ancestors not fought and died for civil rights. Just acknowledge the fact I am correct and move on Edward because you know that your Black African family would not have been welcomed into America with open arms in 1890 or 1920 or even 1950.

Stop lying to yourself Edward. The "N!66#4 go home" shouts and signs that were shoved in the faces of school children would have been directed at your Black African family too.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:27 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,157,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I guess i could, although i'd rather not seeing as how i don't think this is an issue that non-blacks need to be worrying about.

In any case, it has a few definitions. The first is a black person that denigrates his own people for the purpose of mollifying whites. Allen West calling out Minnesota representative Kieth Ellison is a great example of Uncle Tommery. That's why he's an Uncle Tom, and Michael Steele isn't.

Secondly is a black person that confirms negative stereotypes about blacks through his/her behavior.

And there you have it.
Then Bill Cosby is an Uncle Tom?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
It seems to be among a small but vocal segment of the black population, anybody who is successful and works their way off welfare and out of the 'hood has sold out to the white man.
What?? To be successful is looked down upon. What kind of foolishness is that!! I thought all blacks would love to become successful and get out of the hood! So if one is successful they are considered white on the inside.. Yet many blacks voted or Obama.. He really moved up.. don't make much sense to me.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Then Bill Cosby is an Uncle Tom?
What ARE you talking about?

It is OBVIOUS that you have NO close Black friends if you (and those like you) continue to try to make Bill Cosby some sort of pariah to Black Americans.

Contrary to the belief of the ignorant and the bigoted, Bill Cosby has not said anything that many Black people say every Sunday at the family dinner table. But YOU would know that if you actually knew any Black people.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
What?? To be successful is looked down upon. What kind of foolishness is that!! I thought all blacks would love to become successful and get out of the hood! So if one is successful they are considered white on the inside.. Yet many blacks voted or Obama.. He really moved up.. don't make much sense to me.
Thank you for putting your ignorance on full display.

I'm curious...why do you continue to start threads about Black people especially when you have no benevolent interest in Black people?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Just watch "Undercover Brother" to get more in touch with Black America. It's a satire, but it's still relevant.

There's definitely a fundamental difference between the way white people, black people, Asian people and Hispanic people act. The fact that you don't know that tells me that you're surrounded by white people and your only exposure to other races is either in a very shallow way (the Asian behind the counter at the dry cleaners, the Mexican guy working in the kitchen, etc.) or through popular media. My closest friends are a Blacktino (technically he's a Cuban black guy), an Arab Christian, an African Muslim, a Jewish guy, an Italian, a generic white Christian, a few Filiipinos, a Mexican, a Vietnamese and a few black guys. I'm exposed to basically every culture through my friendships and while there are stark differences, there are also similarities.

Expose yourself to other people, especially those of other religions and those with no religions, and maybe you'll become a better person.
I know black families in my neighborhood and I see no difference.. They go to work, live nice, have the same goals , work hard, have nice kids and I don't see any difference at all. They come over and we talk have a cup of coffee etc.. they are nice neighbors.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Thank you for putting your ignorance on full display.

I'm curious...why do you continue to start threads about Black people especially when you have no benevolent interest in Black people?
Because I have heard names on City Data I have never heard before. I wonder why all the baggage with calling people Uncle Toms, and Uncle Ruckus.. that was a new one and I don't get the baggage of it.Talk about putting people in a class with a name.. I would love to kill these names with understanding.

Old 10-13-2012, 02:48 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,979,061 times

Cadillac Don - Peanut Butter And Jelly Ft. J Money - YouTube

Old 10-13-2012, 03:13 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Quote:
Because I have heard names on City Data I have never heard before. I wonder why all the baggage with calling people Uncle Toms, and Uncle Ruckus.. that was a new one and I don't get the baggage of it.Talk about putting people in a class with a name.. I would love to kill these names with understanding.

Really?.

Why not, instead of starting a thread here on P and OC, google it .
Problem solved, for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies