Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is abortion harmful to the woman?
Yes 41 46.07%
No 48 53.93%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 11:27 AM

221 posts, read 282,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Do you really think anyone other than a small fringe group wants to ban birth control?
No, I don't. That is why I specifically said 'certain groups' and did not say 'all pro-life'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 11:34 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Do you really think anyone other than a small fringe group wants to ban birth control?

There was a thread started a few days ago where a young woman expressed concern that birth control could be made illegal if Romney is elected.

I have to ask....where does this idea come from that there is any push to ban birth control? Yes, obviously a large group does want to ban abortion/increase restrictions on abortion, but who wants to ban birth control? I'm sure that a very large percentage - probably a majority - of pro-life women are on birth control pills/have taken birth control pills themselves.
Do you realize that Ryan has a bill waiting to be voted on now that says that life begins at conception?
This would make many forms of birth control illegal.

Is the vp candidate on the fringe?

Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,452,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Do you realize that Ryan has a bill waiting to be voted on now that says that life begins at conception?
No, I didn't realize that. I did realize he had co-sponsored one in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
This would make many forms of birth control illegal.
No, it wouldn't. IIRC, the bill says - in a nutshell - that states would be allowed to protect life after conception. It doesn't say anything about them being required to. Moreover, I don't think his intention is for any state to ban birth control. I do think he would like states to ban abortion, but I don't think he wants birth control to be made illegal. I also think Paul Ryan was only a co-sponsor if this legislation and probably did not write it. I think the word "conception" in these bills is simply being used without considering the potential effects to laws other than abortion laws.

I think everyone knows that the chance of birth control being banned is exactly zero percent. Sure, there are people who want to ban abortion, but there is no mainstream group wanting to ban birth control.

Old 10-13-2012, 11:57 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,195,922 times
Quote:
No, I didn't realize that. I did realize he had co-sponsored one in the past.

No, it wouldn't. IIRC, the bill says - in a nutshell - that states would be allowed to protect life after conception. It doesn't say anything about them being required to. Moreover, I don't think his intention is for any state to ban birth control. I do think he would like states to ban abortion, but I don't think he wants birth control to be made illegal. I also think Paul Ryan was only a co-sponsor if this legislation and probably did not write it. I think the word "conception" in these bills is simply being used without considering the potential effects to laws other than abortion laws.

I think everyone knows that the chance of birth control being banned is exactly zero percent. Sure, there are people who want to ban abortion, but there is no mainstream group wanting to ban birth control.
The intention of the amendment in North Carolina wasn't to outlaw opposite sex civil unions, but that was what happened.

People need to think about what effects this bill would have.
Will miscarriages need to be investigated? Can a person that causes a auto accident be charged in the death of a non viable fetus? Can a woman be charged for not eating properly, smoking, not exercising etc while pregnant? Will they be charging women who have an abortion with murder? All of these can be possible if this bill passes.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:16 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Too funny.
But no surprise.
Just as whackaloon, and certainly anti-choice and anti-fact.

Quote:
Why to twist everything I said. Good job. Give the woman(?) a medal.
No one needs to twist anything you say.
Your posts say it all.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,269,927 times
Quote:

There was a thread started a few days ago where a young woman expressed concern that birth control could be made illegal if Romney is elected.

I have to ask....where does this idea come from that there is any push to ban birth control? Yes, obviously a large group does want to ban abortion/increase restrictions on abortion, but who wants to ban birth control? I'm sure that a very large percentage - probably a majority - of pro-life women are on birth control pills/have taken birth control pills themselves.
Why yes, I do.
State Trends for 2011 on Abortion, Family Planning, Sex Education and Insurance
To date, legislators have introduced 916 measures related to reproductive health and rights in the 49 legislatures that have convened their regular sessions. (Louisiana’s legislature will not convene until late April.) By the end of March, seven states had enacted 15 new laws on these issues, including provisions that:
more at link...

This was in the first quarter of 2011.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:33 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,145,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Too funny.
But no surprise.
Just as whackaloon, and certainly anti-choice and anti-fact.

No one needs to twist anything you say.
Your posts say it all.
Whatever chielgirl. I could post something from The Sun and you'd tell me that it was a religious link.

Okay. I really don't care what you think.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:48 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,102,823 times
All medical operations put stress on some part of your body in some way. They are done for a reason that outweighs the risks. Abortions are not good for your body. It leaves scars inside. This is not a reason to be prolife and I am still prochoice knowing this. All medical procedures affect people differently. I have heard that abortions can affect your ability later to have children especially if you have had numerous abortions. I am prochoice, but feel that making choices like this should not be taken lightly because with any procedure there are risks. For example, consider the long recovery time for someone that has heart surgery. The procedure is hard on someone physically and there are risks you won't make it. Sometimes it is worth the risk. Why make someone else's medical procedures your business?

Old 10-13-2012, 01:12 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
All medical operations put stress on some part of your body in some way. They are done for a reason that outweighs the risks. Abortions are not good for your body. It leaves scars inside. This is not a reason to be prolife and I am still prochoice knowing this. All medical procedures affect people differently. I have heard that abortions can affect your ability later to have children especially if you have had numerous abortions. I am prochoice, but feel that making choices like this should not be taken lightly because with any procedure there are risks. For example, consider the long recovery time for someone that has heart surgery. The procedure is hard on someone physically and there are risks you won't make it. Sometimes it is worth the risk. Why make someone else's medical procedures your business?
Early abortions do not leave scars inside.

If you had an abortion at 8 weeks for instance.....there is NO WAY a physician could tell......because there are no scars left behind.

Old 10-13-2012, 01:14 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,140,689 times
Quote:
Why to twist everything I said. Good job. Give the woman(?) a medal.
I didn't twist anything..YOU couldn't address my post...

""""So you don't like Obamacare because you mistakenly believe "they" make all the choices for you....(and ignore the Health Insurance companies who really do make the decisions).

Yup, YOU hate the thought of others making YOUR decisions but YOU feel perfectly content to take away CHOICE from women."""

And THAT is ON TOPIC!!!!!!!

What about it isn't true?....it's what YOU posted.

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 10-13-2012 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies