Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 06:24 PM

3,695 posts, read 4,964,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Was there some point in the past when they were working side by side and then gov't stepped in slapped a tax on using the human service? Or did they regulate the height, weight, dental hygiene of the human service so hard that it drove them away from the pump? Or maybe jack booted thugs swooped in and beat up everyone that thought about using the human instead of the pump...
I saw them die out as a kid and they pumped gas from the electronically controled pump at the end. The truth was the gas station owner was not really paying a living wage. Like waiters an attendant recieved tips. Many people used Self Service because it was cheaper(which became an issuse when gas got more expensive in the 70ies). Women and perhaps the elderly did like full service but then again after you paid about the same or more for the gas, you still had to tip.

No raising taxes nor regulation did not kill the full serivice, technology and other changes did. In addition the gas station owner(or who ever worked there used to do this work himself sometiems). One or two states still requires that an attendant pump gas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 11:33 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,605,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
What it tells me is that they have already figured a way that "they" individually have figured out a way to avoid paying the tax themselves.. It could be by passing the cost on to their customers, or by writting off certain expenditures. You can bet, no wealthy person in the US became wealthy by paying more in taxes...
The middle class hardly benefited from the Bush tax cuts. Here's how they affected families in different income brackets. Notice how someone making $50,000 saved $112 and someone making over a million a year saved $42,766.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/11/bu...cuts.html?_r=0

Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,378,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Just cracks me up that so many posters are arguing tooth and nail for the rich when the rich themselves rarely argue very vociferously for themselves. Hilarious.

You'd think these posters were rich, but they aren't. Nor are they ever gonna be rich. Worse, half the rich folks in this country don't even vote for conservatives. And STILL, Conservatives wanna fall on their swords for these people. Makes no sense.
I'm rich. I'm against any further tax increases that only affect me. I'm not opposed to a progressive system. I've even advocated national health. But everyone has to pay. Everyone.

Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
The middle class hardly benefited from the Bush tax cuts. Here's how they affected families in different income brackets. Notice how someone making $50,000 saved $112 and someone making over a million a year saved $42,766.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/11/bu...cuts.html?_r=0
So let them expire. What's the big deal? The article says the average family only saved $50 a year. Surely during this tough economic time the average family can afford $50 if it means sticking me for $42,000.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,011,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I'm rich. I'm against any further tax increases that only affect me. I'm not opposed to a progressive system. I've even advocated national health. But everyone has to pay. Everyone.

Ok. Yea.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 AM

420 posts, read 334,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
well said. the wealthy didnt get that way by spending money they didnt have to spend. these people are not stupid. they might on the surface support raising taxes on themselves as a pubic relations gimmick, but behind the scenes they are always looking at ways to pay as little in taxes as they possibly can. they might push for a higher tax rate, but they will also push for another deduction or allowance or loophole they can exploit to bring their tax burden down again. and if they cant do that, they will pass the higher tax onto others if they can. for instance, if taxes are raised on those businesses making more than what ever arbitrary income level the government sets, if the business cant lower their tax burden through deductions, allowances or loopholes, they will raise their prices to cover the difference.
Businesses? The rates we're discussing are personal income taxes.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:48 AM

3,016 posts, read 3,893,182 times
If a 'rich' person claims to support raising taxes on themselves:

There could be a number of reasons why. . .

01 They might be part of a small percentage that did not make their money honestly, and their conscience is creeping up on them.

02 They have so much money that they are making money on (investments) that they calculated the amount they will have to pay in terms of a tax increase is only a fraction of the passive/investment income they already make on the money they have. So they would basically be paying more taxes, but on money that generates new money on its own without any real effort.

03 They are aware (right or wrong) of the potential chance that if the country goes bankrupt that it will negatively impact their existing business ventures and/or investments and they will wind up indirectly losing more money by the government lacking the revenue from their increased taxes then they would if they were required to pay more and the economic system continues functioning as it currently is.

04 They realize that there is a possibility that if the government is unable to continue taxing them (at at higher rates) and then redistributing the money to people that are not 'rich' then there is a percentage at the bottom of the economic pyramid that could revolt, riot or cause an amount of civil unrest that is equal to what would have to occurr for the existing economic structure to collapse - and by default, negatively impact the current wealth and investments of those that are 'rich'.

05 They have enough of an understanding of the current tax code to know that despite the increase in taxes on themselves that there are a myriad of ways that someone in their financial position can manipulate their tax obligations through deductions, credits and legal tax avoidance (not evasion) that are only available to those that have enough income and/or wealth to be considered 'rich'.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,821,640 times
Rich voluntarily pay more taxes - absolute crock!

If they wanted to, they could do so now.

The only way is to force them.

This is the way forward!

Eat the rich

Old 12-09-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Ok. Yea.
I've done so well it still amazes me. You can believe what you want.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:06 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,267,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
So let them expire. What's the big deal? The article says the average family only saved $50 a year. Surely during this tough economic time the average family can afford $50 if it means sticking me for $42,000.
If you are truely "rich" 42,000 is a drop in the bucket verses someone that makes 15,000yr and the increase of 1,600 is a bigger difference.
Tax cut plan: If it fails, average tax bill to rise $1,600 ...

Besides the truely rich will have accountants to get them better rates regardless of what Congress does anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies