U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 12:56 PM

589 posts, read 867,790 times

Advertisements

Half the problem with politics is it's so easy to misunderstand what another is saying. Everyone knows there is more to it than right and left (well, I hope so anyway, might be asking too much of some), this site has an interesting way to attempt to measure that. I think if people really understood the intricacies of this map, it would help untangle the discussion a bit.

It frames it this way: traditional economic left/right scale has collectivism on one end and libertarianism on the other. The other component is how that end is achieved - authoritarianism on one end and anarchy on the other. I thought it was pretty interesting, and am curious to see where others fall on this map. Check it out and report your results! Should only take you 5-10 minutes.

PoliticalCompass.org

My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.74

Also interesting to note - I know lots of people know this already, myself included, but it was interesting to see it starkly on the map: Obama and Romney are almost the same.

That's what I learned in school today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 12:59 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,067,276 times
I've taken this damn thing about 40 times now since 2008. About every month or two someone posts it thinking it reveals something deep and hidden about posters.

I always come out as a limited government guy.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:02 PM

10,582 posts, read 8,285,218 times
This "test" has been around for years, and is as inaccurate and misleading as it's always been.

It will tell you that you can be "right wing", and force religion on others, at the same time. And it will tell you that you can be "left wing" and Libertarian at the same time.

It usually fades into obscurity after being exposed for a few weeks... until some naive newcomer "discovers" it and thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, without examining what it actually says. Then it comes back to life for a short time until a new generation learns how preposterous its conclusions are, and dump it once again.

Looks like we are starting that cycle again, for the 4,257th time.

(yawn)

Old 10-12-2012, 01:03 PM

29,419 posts, read 18,736,004 times
Tells me that the DHS will be watching me.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:05 PM

24,889 posts, read 21,067,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I've taken this damn thing about 40 times now since 2008. About every month or two someone posts it thinking it reveals something deep and hidden about posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
This "test" has been around for years, and is as inaccurate and misleading as it's always been.

It will tell you that you can be "right wing", and force religion on others, at the same time. And it will tell you that you can be "left wing" and Libertarian at the same time.

It usually fades into obscurity after being exposed for a few weeks... until some naive newcomer "discovers" it and thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, without examining what it actually says. Then it comes back to life for a short time until a new generation learns how preposterous its conclusions are, and dump it once again.

Looks like we are starting that cycle again, for the 4,257th time.

(yawn)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Tells me that the DHS will be watching me.

Look, all of us "old" forum guys agree Don't see that everyday on this forum

Old 10-12-2012, 01:18 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,907,930 times
Economic Left/Right: 8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03

I couldn't answer all these questions the way I wanted because of the wording.

I'm an anarcho-capitalist. Which means I think we'd be better off if we peacefully dissolved governments and lived in a capitalistic world. Though we would have some limited local government type bodies to punish violence and fraud.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Can you please explain why you think those things are not true? This is my point exactly. When you just say left or right, that may not mean the same thing it does to others. Thus your point is misunderstood. There is more to the discussion than left and right.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:28 PM

10,582 posts, read 8,285,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerver View Post
Can you please explain why you think those things are not true? This is my point exactly. When you just say left or right, that may not mean the same thing it does to others. Thus your point is misunderstood.
Or, the people who wrote the test, misunderstood. That is far more likely.

Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM

OK, I'm all ears. Isn't "the right" generally more associated with trying to integrate their particular religion into the state? And if libertarianism is all about pure freedom, don't you think there is crossover with anarchism, which is decidedly associated with "the left"?

Old 10-12-2012, 01:43 PM

32,470 posts, read 26,347,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post

i agree with memphis, this "test" is pretty much tripe. someone decided that it might be informative, so they try to label people based on certain answers to certain questions, but they also give the answers they want you to choose from rather than let you decide how to answer a question. thus someone who considers themselves to be religious amounts to "trying to impose their religion on others". or someone who believes in a safety net for those that really need it, amounts to "this person wants big government".

it is in the end bullcrap and not worth the time to take the test as it reveals NOTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies