Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2012, 06:34 PM

26,885 posts, read 15,101,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Just recently my Dad's wife got severe appendicitis and had some complications and ended up spending a couple of days in the hospital. A couple of months earlier she had quit her job and was just living at home. My Dad owns his own business and is pretty comfortably in the 1%, but he just wasn't thinking about insurance at the time and since they had both been on their own separate company health insurance programs it came as a huge surprise when my Dad got the 30k bill.

Besides that, almost all of my friends still in grad school have zero insurance because they've passed the age where you can still ride on your parents (26 I think?). I do know that Florida State has a rule that just came into effect in 2008 where all grad students had to have proof of health insurance, I was just happy that I graduated right before that happened because adding more bills would not have been good.

Your Dad sure dropped the ball especially being a 1%'er.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 06:38 PM

679 posts, read 612,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Your Dad sure dropped the ball especially being a 1%'er.
That's a definite. If I remember correctly his wife's insurance lasted for a little while after her job and it some how got forgotten or something. All I remember is my Dad cursing a whole hell of a lot because there was nothing more than he messed up hard. He forgot to set up something that would cost him a couple hundred and instead ended up costing him thousands because he forgot.
Crazy bad luck

Old 10-12-2012, 06:39 PM

2,526 posts, read 2,996,781 times
Quote:
Just recently my Dad's wife got severe appendicitis and had some complications and ended up spending a couple of days in the hospital. A couple of months earlier she had quit her job and was just living at home. My Dad owns his own business and is pretty comfortably in the 1%, but he just wasn't thinking about insurance at the time and since they had both been on their own separate company health insurance programs it came as a huge surprise when my Dad got the 30k bill.
I hate to tell you this, but if your dad even blinked at a $30k bill, he is NOT part of the 1%.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,416,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
I hate to tell you this, but if your dad even blinked at a $30k bill, he is NOT part of the 1%.
How do you think they got to the 1%, by watching their $$$$. You don't think the likes of Trump are watching their money and questioning large medical bills.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:46 PM

679 posts, read 612,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
You've never met really rich people have you. The richest people I've ever met are some of the worst nickel and dimer's ever. They will fight for every single thing. On top of that when you combine that with an expense that is a surprise and could easily have been preventable, so basically just a flushed 30k anyone is going to be pissed.

Just because you have a ton of money doesn't make you frivolous with it.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,151,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
And what makes you think a poor/homeless/elderly person can afford health insurance, even in the free-market utopia you promise where government has no role in reining in the excesses of predatory insurance companies?

If you ran a health insurance company, would you insure a poor/homeless/elderly person, knowing how much they'd probably cost you in claims?

it is not the responsibility of the goverment to provide that, except for those cases of people who could not ever provide for themselves.
also, since I do know people who are living and have no health insurance, and refuse to get any, they provide for themselves as the need arises.

there are other ways to get medical attention without going through health insurance.

people always seem to think the the fedgov is there for everyone, when actually the opposite is true. it is not the goverments responsibility to be your mommy from cradle to grave.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 PM

36,884 posts, read 18,863,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
If they are both working , they will probably have to get health insurance under Obamacare and pay for it too or be fined. Since I doubt that two working individuals will get low cost health insurance under Obamacare. The mandate will stand for the two of them.
What they pay would depend on their income.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:03 PM

26,885 posts, read 15,101,517 times
Quote:
That's a definite. If I remember correctly his wife's insurance lasted for a little while after her job and it some how got forgotten or something. All I remember is my Dad cursing a whole hell of a lot because there was nothing more than he messed up hard. He forgot to set up something that would cost him a couple hundred and instead ended up costing him thousands because he forgot.
Crazy bad luck

I can certainly understand that, no one is harder on me than myself.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:05 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,760,580 times
Yes. I have an aunt who only makes a little over $11K per year at a part time job and they don't offer insurance. She makes too much money to get on Medicaid, because she is in her 50s (so too young for Medicare) and doesn't have any dependent children.

My older brother lost his job a couple months ago and doesn't have insurance. He had to sign his kids up for Medicaid because they were initially covered by his plan until he lost his job. He has a new job, but it is through a temp agency and they don't offer benefits.

I know a few people at work who don't have insurance. But they just didn't want to sign up for our plan because they said it cost too much. Our plan isn't that expensive IMO - $100 a month for a single person, but it can get up there for a family, which is about $500 a month. They have an option for parent and children (up to 4) for $300 a month. But that could be expensive, it depends on what their job title is. Our housekeepers make $13 an hour in the city though so I figure they can at least afford to cover themselves and put their kids on the stat SCHIP program.

My aunt doesn't have insurance. She is a PRN so that is pretty far out IMO that she is a medical professional but doesn't have insurance. She makes decent money though and her kids are on a the SCHIP plan because here in GA you can make about $60K and be on SCHIP.

I'm sure I know more people than that as well who I just don't know about their insurance status.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:08 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,151,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Yes. I have an aunt who only makes a little over $11K per year at a part time job and they don't offer insurance. She makes too much money to get on Medicaid, because she is in her 50s (so too young for Medicare) and doesn't have any dependent children.

My older brother lost his job a couple months ago and doesn't have insurance. He had to sign his kids up for Medicaid because they were initially covered by his plan until he lost his job. He has a new job, but it is through a temp agency and they don't offer benefits.

I know a few people at work who don't have insurance. But they just didn't want to sign up for our plan because they said it cost too much. Our plan isn't that expensive IMO - $100 a month for a single person, but it can get up there for a family, which is about $500 a month. They have an option for parent and children (up to 4) for $300 a month. But that could be expensive, it depends on what their job title is. Our housekeepers make $13 an hour in the city though so I figure they can at least afford to cover themselves and put their kids on the stat SCHIP program.

My aunt doesn't have insurance. She is a PRN so that is pretty far out IMO that she is a medical professional but doesn't have insurance. She makes decent money though and her kids are on a the SCHIP plan because here in GA you can make about $60K and be on SCHIP.

I'm sure I know more people than that as well who I just don't know about their insurance status.

is it the responsibility of your aunt and older brother's next door neighbors to provide for their health insurance?
if you say no, then how can you expect the goverment to provide for their health insurance?

there is no responsibility of goverment to provide for health insurance, none at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies