Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 03:38 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
My mothers company won't put her on the insurance plan because it will raise the premiums for everyone. Instead they give her more cash per check, but it is not close to her bills.
yeah, I don't think that is quite legal. Non-discrimination and all. . .if the company takes the right off from the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 03:40 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,724 times
I hope he didn't pay the 30k bill outright

These bills are shaddy. My hospital bill (for delivery) was 20k discounted down to 3K (thanks insurance company).

It doesn't take rocket science to know that the MSRP there is a little inflated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eborg View Post
Just recently my Dad's wife got severe appendicitis and had some complications and ended up spending a couple of days in the hospital. A couple of months earlier she had quit her job and was just living at home. My Dad owns his own business and is pretty comfortably in the 1%, but he just wasn't thinking about insurance at the time and since they had both been on their own separate company health insurance programs it came as a huge surprise when my Dad got the 30k bill.

Besides that, almost all of my friends still in grad school have zero insurance because they've passed the age where you can still ride on your parents (26 I think?). I do know that Florida State has a rule that just came into effect in 2008 where all grad students had to have proof of health insurance, I was just happy that I graduated right before that happened because adding more bills would not have been good.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:46 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
yeah, I don't think that is quite legal. Non-discrimination and all. . .if the company takes the right off from the government.
Her boss asks if they can exclude her from the plan, citing the rise. It is a small company, what is she supposed to say? No?

Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Yes, I know quite a few. Most of them are employed but their employers don't provide health insurance and if they do....it's very expensive and it would eat up most of their paycheck. So, they do without.
I've always been lucky. I've always had a job that provided me with good insurance. I've seen my insurance change and get much more expensive but at least I still have good coverage.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:51 PM

15,529 posts, read 10,496,731 times
I haven't always had insurance. When I was younger and healthy, I figured I didn't need it. Back then, the biggest chance for bodily harm was a car accident and at that time auto insurance really covered you very well. After kids and especially getting older, I usually had something. Is there a low income pool in their state? I don't know all the details of Obamacare, but your brother in law will be forced to get it since he's working. Your sister may fall through the cracks, people who aren't working still aren't going to have insurance (I think). I'd check and see if there is a pool, my state has one. My individual plan is now up to about $333 a month with a 10,000 deductible (great drug coverage though). I don't need something that covers every little thing, just wanted something that would save me from having to sell the house if I had a heart attack. Whoever said they were paying 1,000 a month is getting ripped off, imo.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM

167 posts, read 310,792 times
I know many people without health insurance. All are self employed hard working people who can't afford the premiums. It's sad their wages have not kept up that most of them have had to drop their insurance. My family is self employed as well. Up until 6 or 7 years ago it was affordable. Then increase started coming in $1200 increase a year. We went from $4000 up to $12,000 in that time. This is just for hospitalization..not dr visits. When the increases kept coming we also thought we would either go out of business, have to drop insurance or take from retirement funds because the recession started and money wasn't coming in. A friend who had good health insurance about 6 years ago had to start contributing more and more to her employer paid insurance. Eventually she reached $900 a month to pay for her family to be on the policy. Last year the company changed insurance companies now they have to pay 20% of any bill. Her husband just had gall bladder surgery..... $14,000 they owe. They are selling things they own hoping to get some money and hope paying $100 a month will keep the dr and hospital happy. He is 64 and hoping no other illness hits before he can retire. His wife has already been treated for cancer she still has 8 years before she can go on medicare.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:52 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I know a number of people who can not afford health insurance.

Like one couple, married, both have jobs earning between $10 and $14 per hour which means together they might gross $45k but barely.

To buy a high deductible policy spending $400/month is simply out of the question.

They can not afford it unless he gave up his 2 to 3 pack a day cigarette habit, she gave up her 1 to 2 pack a day habit and cable television opting to go with four channels of blah blah network television.

Between them they smoke a minimum of 3 packs a day and most often it is closer to 4. The cheapest cigarettes here are an off brand at $36/carton which means they smoke between $324 and $443 every month. Add to this the cable television, even basic, and you are looking at close to $500.

Someone should help these people, it is obvious they can not afford health insurance!

Like this plan for husband and wife aged 42 and 40 costing $141.69/month.

Not the greatest plan in the world but something like a cancer makes the $10k deductable look cheap AND you can at least get care.

If you don't like that there is a plan for $389/month that

Again not the best in the world but better than nothing at all. At least you won't end up with a $600,000 bill you can never pay off.
They will wind up sick with cancer or copd if they keep smoking. Health insurance doesn't cure all cancer. If they wanted to , they should quit with help from a program and then they could afford health care insurance.

I don't smoke but I do have to pay for my own health care insurance and it is very expensive.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:55 PM

679 posts, read 614,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I hope he didn't pay the 30k bill outright

These bills are shaddy. My hospital bill (for delivery) was 20k discounted down to 3K (thanks insurance company).

It doesn't take rocket science to know that the MSRP there is a little inflated.
Yeah, he learned pretty quick to go to every single person that was involved in the billing and ask for discounts. After everything though it still ended costing him somewhere between 15 and 20k. That was still a good chunk of change though.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:58 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
"What the hell is this supposed to mean:

Quote:
My brother in law is a republican, always has been even through all his troubles."

He was a union man and lost his job to outsourcing and general corporate greed and corruption. NW hired a CEO who gave himself a 10M salary and signed off on golden parachutes for every board member after they gave him the salary. Then he started laying off people who had given 25% paycuts and were barely making ends meet.

Then they gutted the stock by inflating it after they sold their own stock off.

And finally sold what was left to Delta. All under the approval of GW Bush.

So I guess that's what the hell I meant.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 PM

679 posts, read 614,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Her boss asks if they can exclude her from the plan, citing the rise. It is a small company, what is she supposed to say? No?
If the money that they are giving her extra doesn't cover her expenses....then yes, that's what she's supposed to say.

I can understand if maybe she makes more than everyone else, then she can afford the extra costs and might do it out of kindness to alleviate the extra cost for everyone else, but if she's at the same level or below the rest in salaries then I say she needs to get them to put her on.

But that's just my opinion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies