Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,867,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
If they cannot afford to pay for their own health care, why do you think I can afford to pay for mine and theirs?
Who is asking you to? You do know that if you already have health insurance the mandate will have no effect on you, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 04:57 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,528,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Oh, I'm well aware that if Romney/Ryan win I, and many others like me, will be out of luck. I'm not a single issue voter by any means, but this is a big one for me. Ryan's "I've got mine, tough **** for you" attitude scares the hell out of me.
He should scare you. They are dangerous. We will be in war...and ACA will be gone as well as SS and eventually Medicare/Medicaid. That is their end game.
Totally serious

Old 10-12-2012, 04:58 PM

990 posts, read 938,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I recently found out that my sister and her husband have no health insurance. I couldn't believe it to be honest.

Her husband was a mechanic for Northwest Airlines until he got laid off with all the restructuring. He is working for a contractor now inspecting planes for far less money and no benefits.

My sister has not been able to get a good enough job that provides insurance for the family.

So they get by without insurance and my sister just says "we can't afford it so our health is in God's hands"

These are good people, their only fault is they aren't good with money at all. They could be broke but if you needed food they would give you what they have. They are just good hearted folks without a desire for money or success. But they are hard workers. When my sister isn't working at one of her crappy part time jobs she is working at a homeless shelter in St Paul.

I know my republican friends on this forum are against help for these kinds of people and to be honest, my sister and husband are not asking for anyone's help. My brother in law is a republican, always has been even through all his troubles. He still says his health is not anyone else's problem. He cannot afford $1000 per month for a policy and he says he does not expect anyone else to pay it so I guess he's willing to die if he gets sick.

I just think this entire situation is sad. I think if you believe this country should not be providing a basic health policy for every citizen you just aren't seeing the big picture.

Thanks for reading.
My girlfriend is in grad school full-time and has no health insurance. Mine is covered by my work, but to add her to the coverage it would be $200 a paycheck ($4800 a year), which is absolute insanity for something which you may or may not ever need.

Health Insurance is a gigantic scam, like all insurance. Those who need it are never covered, and those who don't pay out the nose for the honor of being able to carry around a card that says "Aetna" on it. I've not used my health insurance for 6 years, though I've paid $50 a paycheck for it that whole time, that's $7,200 I've thrown in the toilet for that "just in case" moment. What a scam.

If you factor in my car insurance, I've thrown away $15,000 in the past 6 years on insurance that I haven't used once. That's insane and a clear example of how idiotic it is to have Insurance as a for-profit business.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:58 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Oh, I'm well aware that if Romney/Ryan win I, and many others like me, will be out of luck. I'm not a single issue voter by any means, but this is a big one for me. Ryan's "I've got mine, tough **** for you" attitude scares the hell out of me.
Health care is a big issue for me too. Not that I am all that happy with Obama's performance either. Health care is an issue that isn't going to go away and especially if the rate of health care inflation is maintained at the same level it has been for the past 10 years. As more of the cost is shifted from corporations (who have traditionally subsidized health insurance) and onto employees and as attempts are made to reign in the cost of public provision (Medicare, Medicaid, etc.) more and more ordinary Americans are going to be adversely affected.

Right now, the economy is the big issue. At the next election it could very well be health care costs. It will be a smart politician that starts to look creatively for solutions rather than trying to stymie reform.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times
My sister's family doesn't have any. Both her and her husband work full time. Her company doesn't offer it, his does but it's unaffordable for them. No, they don't have cable nor xbox nor cell phones etc. The American dream is alive and well.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:00 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
In all honesty, yes i do, mostly younger folks, or those whose employers don't offer insurance, which i find sad.

Because none of us know what is in store for us, believe that, i found that out the hard way. One day your fine, the next day, your in a hospital.

We do have insurance, but for those who cannot afford it, and the employers, who can't afford to give it, is a sad reality, but many Doctors, i have talked with, don't want Obamacare, that is their decision. Never got into the hospital why, left it at that. I am sure some do, and some don't want any part of it.

Husband was recently in the hospital again for 4 full days, like i said one day your fine, the next your not. I talked with his Doctors, who told me many were against obamacare, no that is not a lie, but i am sure many approve it. My Dr, does not, and he has his reasons, without offering them to me.

I know many small business owners, who simpley tell us, they simply cannot afford to offer health insurance to their employers.........and this does make them sad.

All too often someone will wait until something is wrong, then it is too late. I am not God, don't have the answers.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
My girlfriend is in grad school full-time and has no health insurance. Mine is covered by my work, but to add her to the coverage it would be $200 a paycheck ($4800 a year), which is absolute insanity for something which you may or may not ever need.

Health Insurance is a gigantic scam, like all insurance. Those who need it are never covered, and those who don't pay out the nose for the honor of being able to carry around a card that says "Aetna" on it. I've not used my health insurance for 6 years, though I've paid $50 a paycheck for it that whole time, that's $7,200 I've thrown in the toilet for that "just in case" moment. What a scam.

If you factor in my car insurance, I've thrown away $15,000 in the past 6 years on insurance that I haven't used once. That's insane and a clear example of how idiotic it is to have Insurance as a for-profit business.
Insurance of all kinds are just scams. I wish the governmment would take over car insurance as well. What a f&**($ rip off that is

Old 10-12-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
In all honesty, yes i do, mostly younger folks, or those whose employers don't offer insurance, which i find sad.

Because none of us know what is in store for us, believe that, i found that out the hard way. One day your fine, the next day, your in a hospital.

We do have insurance, but for those who cannot afford it, and the employers, who can't afford to give it, is a sad reality, but many Doctors, i have talked with, don't want Obamacare, that is their decision. Never got into the hospital why, left it at that. I am sure some do, and some don't want any part of it.

Husband was recently in the hospital again for 4 full days, like i said one day your fine, the next your not. I talked with his Doctors, who told me many were against obamacare, no that is not a lie, but i am sure many approve it. My Dr, does not, and he has his reasons, without offering them to me.

I know many small business owners, who simpley tell us, they simply cannot afford to offer health insurance to their employers.........and this does make them sad.

All too often someone will wait until something is wrong, then it is too late. I am not God, don't have the answers.
That pisses me off. They are greedy.. not sad

Old 10-12-2012, 05:05 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post

Right, but what if you do need it? As I said, I was diagnosed with Stage IV Hodgkin's lymphoma a month after my 23rd birthday. $7200 might seem like a lot, but my cancer was one of the cheap ones (just chemo, no radiation or major surgeries beyond exploratory) and my care for 6 months costs $250000. Every PET scan that I need several times a year costs about a mid-sized car. Life turns on a dime. I was healthy until I wasn't.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:06 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Insurance of all kinds are just scams. I wish the governmment would take over car insurance as well. What a f&**($ rip off that is
I agree 100%. There should be no profit in insurance, It's bad for society IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies