Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,049,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I heard someone on TV mention this recently. That the black family unit began to break down
after World War II.

I think it is probably because of the liberal policies that were put into place at the time,
like the New Deal of Franklin D Roosevelt.

I also think that the Civil Rights policies took a wrong turn after their initial implementation by the Conservative Christian movement in the Republican party. After their implementation, they were then adopted and corrupted by the liberal Democrats from that point until the present day.

What do you think is the cause?
Stormfront have a rally today?
Concentrate on your own back yard before you comment on anyone else's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 01:03 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,893,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
I agree with the bolded part, as a black man in this society you have to have the get money mentality, I sure as hell do.
Don't all men want money and chicks?

Old 10-16-2012, 01:26 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,458,334 times
These ladies (one of which is my grandmother) taught me that it is important to have a strong sense of self as a Black person in America. Never compromise who you are and never let "them" try to tell you who you can or can not be in this world.

Old 10-16-2012, 01:40 PM

72,829 posts, read 62,180,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
What do I think is the cause? It's because of the following:
1. Because dudes realize they can get plenty of sex without serious commitment. Most Black men have a very high sex drive and enjoy hooking up with more than one chick at a time.
This is happening everywhere, not just among Black men.

Quote:
2. Most Black men really don't care about anything else other than money and chicks, and as a result, the concept of family has gone out the window.
Do you have a statistic showing what percentage of Black men don't care about anything but money and women? And how do you know this doesn't existed among many White men in the same age bracket?

Quote:
3. There isn't much pressure for Black men to marry.
There isn't as much pressure for AMERICANS to marry these days than before.

Quote:
4. There aren't all that many quality (and attractive) Black women to go around so Black men are looking to other races of women.
That is not only hitting below the belt, but is shows what you know about the Black community. This isn't to say that there aren't Black men marrying women of other races, but there are an ample number of single Black females who are quality and attractive, and attractive is in the eyes of the beholder. I would say that the opposite is the issue. Black women are having a hard time looking for Black men.

Quote:
5. A high percentage of Black men end up in prison which results in families being broken up.
This I could agree with. Prison has a very bad effect on the Black family. That being said, there is something else to remember. One big factor in crimes being committed is that alot of men who commit them are single men.

Quote:
6. A substantial percentage of Black men don't make enough to support a wife and kids.
Alot of Black men didn't make enough to support their families back in the old days and they stayed together. Come up with something better.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,747,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is happening everywhere, not just among Black men.
But Black men were far worse off after WWII than any other race... and they did more to work their way out of it.

Until liberals in government suddenly decided to "help" them... whereupon they stopped helping themselves.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
But Black men were far worse off after WWII than any other race... and they did more to work their way out of it.

Until liberals in government suddenly decided to "help" them... whereupon they stopped helping themselves.
Black men were alot worse off than anyone else, and indeed, jobs help to close the gap. However, there is one piece you are not considering. The industrial job base was declining towards 1970. This put alot of Black men out of jobs disproportionately. This didn't help.

I don't think that "welfare" was the problem. I think the way it was planned out was the problem. The father couldn't be supporting the wife or children. That needs to be reformed. Welfare shouldn't be rid of, but reformed to make sure the father stays in the home.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
The Civil Rights movement's postive results were going to happen with or without government intervention. Conservative Republicans pushed to give it a kick start, but liberal Democrats made it worse for those they say that they are attempting to "help."

This negative outcome makes liberal Democrats look questionable in their motives. As if, maybe they really DO wish to oppress minorities.
I don't believe any of this. If all things were going to "work themselves out", then why were there so many segregationist governments in the South keeping Blacks from voting? If it wasn't for the federal government stepping up, Black people still wouldn't have the right to vote. It was Barry Goldwater who was against the Civil Rights Act. He said "let the states decide". The states were the problem in the first place. It was the state governments that were keeping Blacks from having the right to vote. The federal government failed to address it until Dr. King was protesting and people were being blasted with fire hoses. Former President Kennedy was compelled to do something about it because these actions made the whole nation look bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies