Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 03:23 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,117,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Americans are a lazy and short term thinking bunch. Thats why all those shows that give the perception of quick easy money are extremely popular. World Series of Poker, House flipping shows, pawn stars, and Pickers show will always resonate with the masses.
Ya but REAL pickers and sellers know it isn't easy...but they make a living at it by working hard....we can't all be vicious executives...nor do all people want to be.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:28 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,748,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I wish she would take a job.
Has she been offered a job with a livable wage?

Old 10-13-2012, 03:31 PM

7,971 posts, read 7,329,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
You've never seen the TV show American Pickers on the History channel? Pretty entertaining show, I'm sure it's convinced many people there is easy money in searching through other peoples junk.

DH started doing it years before we knew there was a name for it! He always just referred to it as "buying and selling". I enjoy going with him and rummaging through estate sales and barns. Camera phones make it easy to find things for other people, too. We once found a Duncan Pfyfe reproduction drop leaf table for $45, cleaned and polished it up, and sold it for a huge profit. I didn't like it when he first started and stored his "finds" in our carport, though.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:31 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,748,402 times
Quote:
When young people are afraid Romney will gets jobs going and they aren't not enthused something is wrong. It's easy to fall into a dependencey lifestyle and that is what is scary.

We are all Julia's now????
Some of us aren't dumb enough to think Romney is going to magically make things all better. What jobs is he going to create besides soldiers for his Iran war?

Old 10-13-2012, 03:36 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,344,453 times
Quote:
I visited with her last week. She is against Romney since he would cut her unemployment insurance. She has gotten use to her life since she can't find a job. What does she do? She and her boyfriend go around to garage sales and auctions and pick things to resale to make money. What a life, roll eyes.

She had a good job before Obama was elected. She worked for a title company and made good money. Now she won't take a job if it doesn't pay as much as her unemployment gets her. So she lives in the house her parents own and pays no rent. They kept it for extra income when they bought another house but she and her boyfriend live there rent free. He is a moocher big time and is along for the free ride.

Are all the 30 and under generation becoming like this? All pickers and giving up to work for a better life? I think our country is in big trouble folks.
If she can do it without the unemployment insurance or the assistance, good for her. If she can't, then I hope the gravy train runs out.

I've never said that unemployment and foodstamp programs don't need to be reformed, require more proof of looking for employment, etc. We shouldn't end the programs for people that need them though.

I've also favored putting food stamps to more of a WIC style voucher, with rice and eggs as the primary source of protien.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:45 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,424,958 times
Quote:
I visited with her last week. She is against Romney since he would cut her unemployment insurance. She has gotten use to her life since she can't find a job. What does she do? She and her boyfriend go around to garage sales and auctions and pick things to resale to make money. What a life, roll eyes.

She had a good job before Obama was elected. She worked for a title company and made good money. Now she won't take a job if it doesn't pay as much as her unemployment gets her. So she lives in the house her parents own and pays no rent. They kept it for extra income when they bought another house but she and her boyfriend live there rent free. He is a moocher big time and is along for the free ride.

Are all the 30 and under generation becoming like this? All pickers and giving up to work for a better life? I think our country is in big trouble folks.
I have news for you:

Obama did not raise your niece. Her parents did. And then your niece grew up and started making her own life decisions, for better or worse.

So maybe you should blame her parents - one of whom you are directly related to - for doing a ****ty job of raising her and pandering to her laziness. And maybe you should blame your niece for being of weak character and making ****ty life decisions. It's very convenient to blame everything on Obama, but it's an evasive lie.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:48 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,003,681 times
Quote:
All I know is she calls her mother and cries about her sucky life. Working made her feel better and not so depressed.
Maybe she's not qualified for much yet.
You stated she worked for a title company - well those
jobs dried up after the housing bubble.
Maybe her and her boyfriend are doing her parents
a favor by living there.
The housing market is pretty much in the pits, even for renting out, depending
on where one lives...

She'll find her way - she's got time on her side
Maybe you can find some odd jobs to hire her for - help the younger generation out
It's a cold world out there...

Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,225,450 times
Quote:

Oh, I read the posts, and when I went to page 2, it's not really about the moochers in a child's life, it's really just another bash Obama thread.

You've lost my sympathy now, I hope the brat ends up homeless and starving, then she'll be standing in a food line somewhere begging for an Obama program, and looking for a homeless shelter, or, will move back in with her parent/s.

You had me and others fooled into a sympathetic mood, then you ruined it.

This is a bitter RW hack thread.

Old 10-13-2012, 03:54 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,294,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Americans are a lazy and short term thinking bunch. Thats why all those shows that give the perception of quick easy money are extremely popular. World Series of Poker, House flipping shows, pawn stars, and Pickers show will always resonate with the masses.
True pickers know it's hard work but they can and do make some serious money if know their stuff. You have to be able to recognize collectibles when you see them and know how to market them. The ones who are just average pickers often can't make it working 9 to 5 jobs for a variety of health or personality issues and it's a good niche job for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ya but REAL pickers and sellers know it isn't easy...but they make a living at it by working hard....we can't all be vicious executives...nor do all people want to be.
And a lot of these people love the thrill of the hunt, they thrive on the adrenaline rush. I know my husband did. It can be a hard life if you do it full time on the low end of the picking and flea markets, but fun at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
DH started doing it years before we knew there was a name for it! He always just referred to it as "buying and selling". I enjoy going with him and rummaging through estate sales and barns. Camera phones make it easy to find things for other people, too. We once found a Duncan Pfyfe reproduction drop leaf table for $45, cleaned and polished it up, and sold it for a huge profit. I didn't like it when he first started and stored his "finds" in our carport, though.
I was the same way with my late husband. He studied his chosen specialty, knew the market and history of items forward and backward. One item he paid $300 for I just sold it this summer for $18,000. It should have gone for $22,000 but the economy is hurting collectible values right now. I sold many of his items this summer for over a couple thousand each. And it wasn't unusual for him to turn a $10 item into a $200-400 sale. (It was just a hobby with him, not his main source of income.)

The OP's niece might be picking just to make ends meet but the OP shouldn't be sticking her nose up at a niche job she clearly doesn't understand. Like everything else, success depends on how much effort a person puts in to it.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 10-13-2012 at 04:05 PM..

Old 10-13-2012, 03:56 PM

223 posts, read 282,443 times
I thought maybe "picker" was a code for some illegal activity. After I read the post, her lifestyle doesn't seem all that shocking to me. Are she and her b/f snorting cocaine? Shoplifting? Are there children in the picture being neglected? I guess I can't see what the big deal is. If she runs out of unemployment before she finds a job, that's her tough luck, but I also don't blame her for not taking a job which pays less than unemployment.

If she calls you whining, you can explain to her why you are ending the conversation. It's not your problem otherwise.

Quote:
I think our country is in big trouble folks.
I think it is, too, but not because of law abiding people who are collecting unemployment. Their employer was paying into that insurance, and they as an employee were working and supporting that employer before the employer laid them off. I fear for this world in general, and because I chose not to reproduce, I'm not adding to the population and I don't have to have any guilt about where we're going to be after I am dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.