Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
All of these children were born to Catholic mothers?

Race, Ethnicity, and Percentage of Children Below Poverty Level:

Source: Data from U.S. Census Bureau. (2010). Current population survey: Annual social and economic supplement. Retrieved from Poverty 3-100.

Cite the source for your assertion.
I was speaking about Latino families.

70% of Latino families are Catholic in this country. Latino Religion in the U.S.: Demographic Shifts and Trend | National Hispanic Christian Leadership Conference (NHCLC) | Hispanic Evangelical Association

I didn't say all, but I would bet a nice steak dinner that many of those children were born to Catholic mothers.

http://www.jstor.org/discover/10.230...21101550884391

Quote:
The marital fertility of white Catholic wives in the United States was higher than that of non-Catholic wives in 1977-1981, but when Hispanics were excluded, the differential disappeared; therefore, the Catholic-non-Catholic differential in recent years was due entirely to the higher fertility of Hispanic Catholics. The Total Fertility Rates (TFR) of Catholics were slightly lower in 1977-1981 than those for white Protestants, primarily because Catholic women tend to marry later than Protestant women. This finding was confirmed by multivariate analysis of data on children ever born. We examine some additional data and various theories to speculate on whether these patterns will last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My school is known around the world. Alot of international students go there to study. My major, however, doesn't have a wide alumni network. It's the second largest university in the state(Kennesaw State). However, in my major, it is more localized. Ironically, quite a few people from my major managed to get jobs.
Kennesaw State is not a national university as other state schools are (e.g., Georgia, GA Tech, UCLA, Michigan, Illinois, etc.). As a regional university, it's already considered a notch below national universities as it doesn't offer PhD programs and therefore access to higher level learning opportunities (via lab assistant, etc., campus jobs) and cutting edge resources are extremely limited. Furthermore, it appears to be a commuter college as only 13% of its students live on campus.

Test Scores and GPA of admitted students:
Average High School GPA: 3.16
Average ACT: 21 (Slightly below the national average)
Average SAT: 1065 (Significantly below the national average of 1498)

Kennesaw State's 6-Year Graduation Rate: 33%
(Percent of students who complete an undergraduate degree within 6 years.)

International Student Enrollment: 4%
(Not a lot, contrary to your belief.)

Many of those factors may be impacting your marketability as a job applicant, particularly in your field.

Going to college and earning a degree is not sufficient in and of itself. The institution from which you earn your degree plays an important role in your marketability as a job applicant. That tends to be more true in the STEM fields, though, than in the liberal arts.

Your best bet for employment is probably going to be with a local or state government, or a small local/regional business. And you're right, who you know matters more in those types of situations. I hope you don't have a lot of student loan debt.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I was speaking about Latino families.

I didn't say all, but I would bet a nice steak dinner that many of those children were born to Catholic mothers.

JSTOR: An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
So why support illegal immigration? Why give illegal immigrants any legal rights or government-provided benefits and services? Why make it attractive for immigrants to cross the border illegally and remain in this country?

Old 01-09-2013, 08:00 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Kennesaw State is not a national university as other state schools are (e.g., Georgia, GA Tech, UCLA, Michigan, Illinois, etc.). As a regional university, it's already considered a notch below national universities as it doesn't offer PhD programs and therefore access to higher level learning opportunities (via lab assistant, etc., campus jobs) and cutting edge resources are extremely limited. Furthermore, it appears to be a commuter college as only 13% of its students live on campus.

Test Scores and GPA of admitted students:
Average High School GPA: 3.16
Average ACT: 21 (Slightly below the national average)
Average SAT: 1065 (Significantly below the national average of 1498)

Kennesaw State's 6-Year Graduation Rate: 33%
(Percent of students who complete an undergraduate degree within 6 years.)

International Student Enrollment: 4%
(Not a lot, contrary to your belief.)

Many of those factors may be impacting your marketability as a job applicant, particularly in your field.

Going to college and earning a degree is not sufficient in and of itself. The institution from which you earn your degree plays an important role in your marketability as a job applicant. That tends to be more true in the STEM fields, though, than in the liberal arts.

Your best bet for employment is probably going to be with a local or state government, or a small local/regional business. And you're right, who you know matters more in those types of situations. I hope you don't have a lot of student loan debt.
In that case, how are people that I know able to get jobs out of state and in other cities, but it isn't working for me? I know people who graduated from even smaller, less known universities who got jobs faster that I did, and even in other cities, and some other countries.

I've actually tried with state and local governments. Nothing.

Even if it is the institution, there's nothing I can do now.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In that case, how are people that I know able to get jobs out of state and in other cities, but it isn't working for me? I know people who graduated from even smaller, less known universities who got jobs faster that I did, and even in other cities, and some other countries.
What kind of jobs? Were connections involved? And smaller, less-known schools can have unusually good reputations. Case in point: Rose-Hulman in Indiana. Only 1,895 students. It's a premier undergrad engineering school.

Quote:
I've actually tried with state and local governments. Nothing.
Perhaps enlist the aid of a résumé coach? Your résumé has only about 15 seconds to differentiate you from all the other applicants. It must be compelling... loaded with perceived value, relevant achievements, skills, experience, and key industry buzzwords to increase your marketability. Have you interned anywhere? That also makes a difference.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
So why support illegal immigration? Why give illegal immigrants any legal rights or government-provided benefits and services? Why make it attractive for immigrants to cross the border illegally and remain in this country?
I don't support illegal immigration. We don't "make" it attractive to cross the border. The circumstances these people are leaving make our country a paradise and haven for them.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I don't support illegal immigration. We don't "make" it attractive to cross the border.
Indeed, we do. They get government-provided services and benefits here. How many anchor babies are born each year? Who pays for those deliveries? Then those children and their illegal immigrant parents/families immediately get taxpayer-funded freebies.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Indeed we do. They get government-provided services and benefits here. How many anchor babies are born each year? Who pays for that? Those children and their illegal immigrant parents immediately get taxpayer-funded freebies.
Good job cutting off the rest of my post which read:
Quote:
The circumstances these people are leaving make our country a paradise and haven for them.

Yes, these people will try to come here for a better shot in their lives. They are leaving circumstances that, thankfully, I have no experience with. I certainly don't agree with crossing borders illegally and I do support stronger border control.

I have no idea what that has to do with my assertion that many babies are born to uneducated, impoverished, Catholic Hispanic women.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
What kind of jobs? Were connections involved? And smaller, less-known schools can have unusually good reputations. Case in point: Rose-Hulman in Indiana. Only 1,895 students. It's a premier undergrad engineering school.
I know a guy who graduated from my university who got a job in San Diego as a GIS Analyst. I know a few more people who obtained GIS jobs. I know people who have accounting jobs, teaching jobs, some jobs with the university. I don't know how alot of people got their jobs. I usually assume they knew someone, because whatever is happening, it's not helping ME.

I would not have know that Rose-Hulman existed if you hadn't mentioned it.

Quote:
Perhaps enlist the aid of a résumé coach? Your résumé has only about 15 seconds to differentiate you from all the other applicants. It must be compelling... loaded with perceived value, relevant achievements, skills, experience, and key industry buzzwords to increase your marketability. Have you interned anywhere? That also makes a difference.
I have been doing that too. I have also done things like buzzwords and listed my skills and achievements. I did intern at a national park working on maps. I have even sent some of my work out. I only put jobs that I've had for more than a year, and my internship. I also have another strategy. I try to make my resume stick out by putting a voice to it. I call people to let them know "hey, that's me". That is what I did this week. I found the name of an author of a GIS article. I made a call, and then I got some more information. No job, but I got more information, so that hopefully I can get more work.

Oddly, one person I called found out my strategy and told me "we don't call the department heads here. We send it through HR". I can't count on that because if it goes to HR, then HR will treat it as one among millions. If the department head gets it first, then I have a better chance of standing out because it gets directly to the hiring person, and I can put a voice to it.

Old 01-09-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Good job cutting off the rest of my post which read:
Quote:
The circumstances these people are leaving make our country a paradise and haven for them.
Of course it does. They get government-provided services and freebies here. Who WOULDN'T want to go to a country that gave them handouts for doing nothing at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies