Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Business is business,...large or small. No business can survive and prosper by abusing/maiming what makes them money. I would suggest that there is NO ranch/farm/corporation owner/operator who would condone the treatment depicted in the video. But,..should the industry single out Burger King for buying cheese slices from a supplier who bought milk from a diary who had hired hands who abused the animals? That's a stretch.
I don't think any owner would condone such treatment either. So we are in agreement there. And I agree that it may not be fair for BK to fall on the sword....BUT....the business model puts strain on production and the bottom line is all that matters.

My issue is these farms/ranches have grown so monopolistic that it's impossible for them to cover all bases. Just like a large government is ignorant, well so are corporations in some regard. I'd like to see a lot of the red tape in the farming industry done away with....get rid of the false barrier of entry and let smaller guys compete....Unfortunately, BK and McDonalds and so forth are a large part of this problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM

876 posts, read 708,768 times
Eat mor chiken

Old 10-15-2012, 04:32 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I don't think any owner would condone such treatment either. So we are in agreement there. And I agree that it may not be fair for BK to fall on the sword....BUT....the business model puts strain on production and the bottom line is all that matters.

My issue is these farms/ranches have grown so monopolistic that it's impossible for them to cover all bases. Just like a large government is ignorant, well so are corporations in some regard. I'd like to see a lot of the red tape in the farming industry done away with....get rid of the false barrier of entry and let smaller guys compete....Unfortunately, BK and McDonalds and so forth are a large part of this problem
With the price of farming land, equipment, and related crop-production expenses, it's not likely that small operators will be able to compete any time soon. Reducing "red tape" doesn't translate into making land and equipment cheaper. It is becoming increasingly difficult for farmers to earn a living on existing farms, and almost impossible for a start-up operator who does not own the land initially.

There are some startling statistics regarding our food supply. The average age of the American farmer is 57 years old, and is rising every year. There has been a significant drop in youngsters entering farming as a career due to the costs involved. Some will have to supply our growing population with the food it requires,...whether it be foreign entities or vertically integrated agricultural corporations. Food may be the 21 Century's "oil".

Old 10-16-2012, 07:12 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
NOT FOR THE WEAK STOMACHED OR THOSE SENSITIVE TO ANIMAL ABUSE

Real Sad: Farm That Supplies Kraft & Burger King Burgers Found Savagely Abusing Cows) - YouTube

Don't shoot the messenger...

Personally, I stay away from fast food chains at all costs...and I'm sure this isn't an isolated incident left to farms that supply fast food chains.

But, it's something to think about for all people that pamper puppies and cats and fish or other domestic pets and then go and eat a burger at BK later in the day.
1. It's a dairy farm, they are producing MILK, not raising cattle for burgers.

2. Glad you stay away from fast food joints. I guess you have stopped drinking milk, eating cheese, eating Ice Cream, and every other product with milk or milk product in it? Based on your premise above, it would the the logical step.

3. I abhor the maltreatment of people and animals. I think the people mistreating these cows should be punished. Ascribing this activity to ALL farms, is inane.

4. Last but not least, we have people living on the street, the government spending my grandchildren's money, drugs, illegal aliens living here soaking up our tax money and services, and hundreds of other real and meaningful issues, but we kvetch about one farm mistreating it's livestock? Seriously?

Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,909,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
1. It's a dairy farm, they are producing MILK, not raising cattle for burgers.
We've established this....maybe you should have read the thread....

Quote:
2. Glad you stay away from fast food joints. I guess you have stopped drinking milk, eating cheese, eating Ice Cream, and every other product with milk or milk product in it? Based on your premise above, it would the the logical step.
ORRRR maybe I just stopped eating dairy products from KRAFT....

Quote:
3. I abhor the maltreatment of people and animals. I think the people mistreating these cows should be punished. Ascribing this activity to ALL farms, is inane.
Nobody ascribed it to all farms...

Quote:
4. Last but not least, we have people living on the street, the government spending my grandchildren's money, drugs, illegal aliens living here soaking up our tax money and services, and hundreds of other real and meaningful issues, but we kvetch about one farm mistreating it's livestock? Seriously?
All of the social pitfalls you describe in society are a byproduct of cronyism....which, if you read the thread, you would see is my main issue with large farms that have issues overseeing their operations.

in regards to this last quote.... SOMEBODY PLEASE TURN THE IRONY OFF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies