Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 03:54 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times

Advertisements

I probably would have replied something to the effect of, "Actually, I was just waiting for a weather update" or "I was wondering if they announced what the Social Security increase will be for next year, since my elderly neighbors were talking about that last night." Then, I would have promptly changed the subject and let it drop. I certainly wouldn't have considered it significant enough to even mention to the dentist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Your proctologist might.
Uhhh no, We talk about anything and everything like normal intelligent people can do....

Carry on a conversation with respect to each others opinions unlike other people here....

Old 10-16-2012, 03:55 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I probably would have replied something to the effect of, "Actually, I was just waiting for a weather update" or "I was wondering if they announced what the Social Security increase will be for next year, since my elderly neighbors were talking about that last night." Then, I would have promptly changed the subject and let it drop.
A reasonable response, but do you think the question should have been asked to begin with?

Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
A reasonable response, but do you think the question should have been asked to begin with?
Why not?

To an intelligent American it would have been the perfect opportunity to enlighten the person asking the question on the qualities and achievements of the President backing it up with resources to prove the points they are making...

Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,223,229 times
Quote:
I don't know if it should have be phrased exactly as it was, but so what?

I immediately edited my above post, (you quoted it during that time), to add that I certainly wouldn't have considered it significant enough to even mention to the dentist.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
I don't know if it should have be phrased exactly as it was, but so what?

I immediately edited my above post, (you quoted it during that time), to add that I certainly wouldn't have considered it significant enough to even mention to the dentist.
Tone is everything, and unfortunately I can't convey her tone. If she asked it in a normal tone, I probably would not have mentioned it, but she asked and then she continued to ask, as if I must have horns growing out of my head.

I have my own business. I have never asked a customer what party they are affiliated with. There is a 50/50 chance that I make someone angry.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
What do you do when your dental hygienist starts asking you political questions?

In the case of Obama voters, the old Navy saw applies:

"It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt."

Old 10-16-2012, 04:05 PM

I wonder how the OP would have reacted if the hygienist (new) said:

"Don't you think Obama has done a wonderful job in reviving America?"

Would the OP still have told the dentist that the comment was inappropriate?

I highly doubt it.....

Old 10-16-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
What do you do when your dental hygienist starts asking you political questions?

In the case of Obama voters, the old Navy saw applies:

"It's better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt."
You should take your own advice.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 PM

876 posts, read 708,843 times
Quote:
Went to the dentist today. There is a TV in the room. I have it on CNN, and the hygienist (new) says "please don't tell me you are going to vote for Obama", incredulously. I have never met this person before in my life. This is the person who is going to be working on my mouth in a few minutes.

I just looked at her. I was so taken aback I did not know how to respond. I did not want to **** her off before she finished with my mouth. After I got my crown, I told the Dentist, who I have known for a long time, but have no idea what his party affiliation is, nor do I care. I told him it was inappropriate. He agreed and said it was unacceptable and that he would terminate her if I thought that was right thing to do.

Of course, I did not want her to be terminated. She was young and stupid. I just asked for a new hygienist the next time. My whole family uses this dentist. He probably has made about 10K off of us this year alone.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
I don't believe in going to superiors first because the problem can usually be fixed at a lower level. Now the poor girl is probably in trouble for no real reason. If I really didn't want to talk politics with her, I just would have said that I don't like to talk about politics and that many others get very upset when they are asked about politics and religion in a professional setting. I think that it would be much better to help and possibly educate someone rather than try to hurt them and get them in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies