U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 AM

8,803 posts, read 7,585,867 times

Advertisements

And slash the deficit in half. It will be painful in the short term, but I believe it is what is needed for the long term survival of our country. Once we hit $20 trillion in debt, it becomes obvious that the only way to pay our debt is through monetizing it with the printing presses at the Fed, and I believe that our external creditors will quit buying at that point. Eventually, it'll just be the Fed buying them which is a total ponzi scheme.

We'll come out of this stronger than ever, but basically 2011-2020 is a lost decade, but I think we all knew that regardless of fiscal cliff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 12:07 PM

2,085 posts, read 1,371,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
And slash the deficit in half. It will be painful in the short term, but I believe it is what is needed for the long term survival of our country. Once we hit $20 trillion in debt, it becomes obvious that the only way to pay our debt is through monetizing it with the printing presses at the Fed, and I believe that our external creditors will quit buying at that point. Eventually, it'll just be the Fed buying them which is a total ponzi scheme.

We'll come out of this stronger than ever, but basically 2011-2020 is a lost decade, but I think we all knew that regardless of fiscal cliff.
I think that most people are blissfully unaware of how bad our financial situation is. You can tell them our debt is $16 trillion dollars and that we're adding another trillion every year, but I don't think they either care or can comprehend why this is such a bad thing.

Not until we're confronted with a crisis that directly and personally effects everyone's well-being, will average people finally make the choices necessary to right the ship. Sadly, we would rather kick the can down the road and deal with a future disaster rather than make changes now and put up with a little discomfort.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:17 PM

4,284 posts, read 3,736,201 times
We don't even have to go that extreme. We need to revamp Social Security, Medicaid/Medicare, reform our tax codes, scale back our military to serve the Republic (and not the empire) AND make it constitutionally binding to balance the budget.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:46 PM

5,188 posts, read 13,370,726 times
And, while you're ammending the Constitution to balance the budget, write in a law that says if Congress goes over a percentage of GDP, they CANNOT stay in office, whether they're up for election or not.....that would do it. These Congresspeople don't care about our money and spend it recklessly and for all the wrong purposes. If we held their feet to the fire, they would be more consciencious!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:53 PM

881 posts, read 605,266 times
Quote:

Why write off an entire decade, when this can be prevented? We do not have to throw in the towel just yet. First things first. Throw out the big spender.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:57 PM

8,803 posts, read 7,585,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
We don't even have to go that extreme. We need to revamp Social Security, Medicaid/Medicare, reform our tax codes, scale back our military to serve the Republic (and not the empire) AND make it constitutionally binding to balance the budget.
We do have to go that extreme I'm afraid because nothing that you mentioned will get done individually in the current political climate.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:57 AM

6,953 posts, read 4,425,908 times
I see a slither of hope but unfortunately it rides on taking Mittens at his word but with all of his flip flopping who knows what he believes. But during the 1st debate when talking about Simpson/Bowles Mittens told Obama " "you should have ran with it".

That is what it is going to take to avoid the fiscal cliff is some tough medicine but we need to start right now.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:04 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,556,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
The point is that what we should do is not happening. Going over the fiscal cliff will force the hand of Congress.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:14 AM

12,646 posts, read 13,922,853 times
Quote:

You're in luck. The Tea Party's steering the boat the Republican's and Dem's built. Cliff up ahead.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:39 AM

24,889 posts, read 21,075,755 times
Not enough defense cuts, in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies