Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:47 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
No one said that it was meant to be racist, but a figure with a black face has negative connotations when it is hanging from a tree. Understanding that would require empathy and sensitivity and it is clear that those attributes are not strong suits for many on CD.
Give me a break. Normal well-adjusted people know Halloween is coming and see only ghosts hanging from a tree.

But paranoids who live their lives through a racial lens see blacks being lynched and get offended. How sad for you to go through life like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 03:06 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
No one said that it was meant to be racist, but a figure with a black face has negative connotations when it is hanging from a tree. Understanding that would require empathy and sensitivity and it is clear that those attributes are not strong suits for many on CD.
If this occurred in July one may have an argument. I mean who hangs ghosts in tree's in July? But it is October and Halloween. Like I said get a grip. Understanding why ghosts are hung in tree's, off rooftops, on garage's, on porch's during Halloween doesn't require empathy or sensitivity it requires common sense which has been lost by many.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:52 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And people look for articles like this to be filled with faux-outrage.
Do you go to the St Louis zoo?
It's not so much outrage as it is laughing at the PC moonbat liberal fools.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:54 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
It's not so much outrage as it is laughing at the PC moonbat liberal fools.
This story didnt even make the Post-Dispatch.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
I can understand why people were offended and think it would be nice for the zoo workers to simply paint the faces another color that doesn't line up with any human race. Being able to dismiss a history of lynching is coming from a place of white privilege. White people do not get to tell Black people how they feel or should feel. If some people are offended, regardless of their racial background, that is their right, and they deserve to have their feelings respected like anyone else.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:39 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Give me a break. Normal well-adjusted people know Halloween is coming and see only ghosts hanging from a tree.

But paranoids who live their lives through a racial lens see blacks being lynched and get offended. How sad for you to go through life like that.

This is how I see it. Halloween decorations. Nothing more.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
thats nothing, I heard yesterday that this billboard, up in Ohio, is considered racist..

Voter Fraud Billboards in Ohio Target Minorities | Mother Jones

Who the hell thinks like that..

Old 10-19-2012, 07:47 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I can understand why people were offended and think it would be nice for the zoo workers to simply paint the faces another color that doesn't line up with any human race. Being able to dismiss a history of lynching is coming from a place of white privilege. White people do not get to tell Black people how they feel or should feel. If some people are offended, regardless of their racial background, that is their right, and they deserve to have their feelings respected like anyone else.
When does it stop? Ever? This is beyond ridiculous but you fall in line with the old well if somebody is offended then that's the end of it. I guess ghosts should be outlawed on halloween because some kids do still wear a sheet as a costume?

Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Plenty of white people were lynched as well in Missouri, especially during the Kansas/Missouri Border wars in the Civil war. The point is that it's halloween. This provides the context for these "hangings". Black mesh faces are used in costumes as well. Let's face it - those mesh faces could be dark blue and this man would still complain that it still looks too black. I live in the STL metro area and I work with people of all color. Everyone thinks this whole thing is stupid. The guy (by the way) is the head of a charity and loves to have his face on TV. It would seem that he should be more concerned that all ghosts are white and never "of color".

Last edited by Bulldawg82; 10-19-2012 at 08:17 AM..

Old 10-19-2012, 07:49 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
When does it stop? Ever? This is beyond ridiculous but you fall in line with the old well if somebody is offended then that's the end of it. I guess ghosts should be outlawed on halloween because some kids do still wear a sheet as a costume?
I find it very interesting that you are posting things like this.
What do you know of racial discord in STL?
Tell me about North St Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies