Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 11:28 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times

Advertisements

Not only term limits, but age limits. These old coots stay around forever for only one purpose, and it isn't to serve the people. The good life, very little work, parties every night, everything free courtesy of the lobbyists. They stick around for the free stuff, not to work for us.,
I see it's all the lefties who don't want term limits... why spoil our corruption....

Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,237 times
I see it's Republicans who don't want an end to gerrymandering. Ohio is a 50-50 state but congressional districts will be 12 Republican to 4 Democrats due to gerrymandering.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
We already have term limits.. They are elections. If you don't like a politician and believe that politician has become corrupted, then vote them out. Become politically active and don't meerly vote.
and how well did that work from 1932-1944? the problem with just using the vote as a term limit is that too many people decide to vote the same person back into office regardless of how bad they are when in office. term limits would end that.

remember that when the constitution was first set up, the house of representatives was, other than the president, supposed to be the only national office in which the people voted for a person to represent them in congress. this way the representatives would go to congress for a few terms, and then go back to private life. the senators were chosen by the state legislatures, and had longer terms, thus they would be the ones that would stay in congress for long periods of time.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:31 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Not only term limits, but age limits. These old coots stay around forever for only one purpose, and it isn't to serve the people. The good life, very little work, parties every night, everything free courtesy of the lobbyists. They stick around for the free stuff, not to work for us.,
I see it's all the lefties who don't want term limits... why spoil our corruption....
Where do you see a lefty??

Old 10-19-2012, 12:44 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Yes, most politicians are very, very, very, very ,very corrupt and insane. Best thing to do is put a limit to the sickness that they can inflict on humans.

ONE TERM IN ELECTED FEDERAL OFFICE AND YOU ARE DONE FOR LIFE!!! Same thing for the States would be great also.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,500,069 times
As long as my tax dollars are going to pay for even short term members benefits throughout their life time I have mixed feelings on the subject.

How about they agree to a 'retirement' plan that pays according to the years served? Maybe then they would do their jobs.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:52 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
and how well did that work from 1932-1944? the problem with just using the vote as a term limit is that too many people decide to vote the same person back into office regardless of how bad they are when in office. term limits would end that.

remember that when the constitution was first set up, the house of representatives was, other than the president, supposed to be the only national office in which the people voted for a person to represent them in congress. this way the representatives would go to congress for a few terms, and then go back to private life. the senators were chosen by the state legislatures, and had longer terms, thus they would be the ones that would stay in congress for long periods of time.
I agree that 32-44 were a tremendous mistake made by the american people. However, it was the american people that decided. I also believe that US senators should still be appointed. All that said, are we to be a representative republic? If we are, then the american people should still decide who their president, and house members are. We should decide who is to represent us, not arbitrary laws.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:03 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I agree that 32-44 were a tremendous mistake made by the american people. However, it was the american people that decided. I also believe that US senators should still be appointed. All that said, are we to be a representative republic? If we are, then the american people should still decide who their president, and house members are. We should decide who is to represent us, not arbitrary laws.
Just curious, why do you think senators should be appointed?

Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Great idea. How could it become a realty?

Stop the salary and good retirement and the travel allowance. They already complain about the cost of keeping up 2 places of residence. Some share apartment or are given housing by 'friends'. How about the employees? The place will still be run by the same ol lobbyists and staffers. When one gets defeated their staffers just move on to another.

One way to control them would be to limit the money they can take in. No donations from anyone who lives outside their district.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:35 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If a President can only serves 2 terms, Congress can do the same.

Works for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies